Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC EPC 3925 and DD-WRT on WRT54G

• 18-10-2013 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just upgraded to 100Mb from 30Mb and received new epc3925 modem. Set it up in bridge mode and everything works as it did with my WRT54G doing the routing, dhcp, firewall etc.

The problem is I'm only getting 50Mb down. If I plug directly into the modem I get 100Mb so the WRT54G is causing a problem. I'm thinking its duplex negotiation between modem and router. On the WRT54G its a 100Mb interface and its set to auto negotiate, reporting a 100/full connection. Is there any way of setting/checking the linkspeed/duplex settings on the epc3925 ? I'm guessing its a GigE interface. Is it set to auto negotiate by default ?

Any other suggestions, insights or remedies ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The WRT54G whilst a fine router in it's day (introduced in 2002!), probably just lacks the raw processing power to be able to handle a 100Mbit/s WAN connection, nothing to do with connection speed, and 30Mbit/s was probably close to or at it's limit. Time for a new router I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Thanks Alun and right on the money I'd say.
    Picked up a Cheap TP-Link wdr3600 and flashed with dd-wrt and now have 100Mbit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

One thing to watch out for ... I have the WDR4300, and while my 150Mbit/s UPC connection works fine with the TP-Link firmware, it peaks at ~130Mbit/s when flashed with DD-WRT. I suspect it's because the WDR4300 has hardware NAT, which isn't currently supported by DD-WRT, and according to some reports on their forum won't ever be. So if you ever plan on upgrading to higher speeds you may come across the same problem.

Advertisement