Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Guard at the Elysian every morning

Options
  • 18-10-2013 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Being a new arrival to the end of the South Link to Elysian junction - just wonder why there is a Guard there every morning? I arrive there at about 8 - what is going down in Cork that requires a garda presence every morning (at 8)???:D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

Being a new arrival to the end of the South Link to Elysian junction - just wonder why there is a Guard there every morning? I arrive there at about 8 - what is going down in Cork that requires a garda presence every morning (at 8)???:D:D

Hes waiting for El vino to open for brekkie:).

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭VincentLeB

LOL.

I had always presumed it was because there might be traffic issues due to it being a busy crossroads junction. Plus, the way the lanes work coming from the south link is prone to abuse — people in the right-most lane often try to go straight on towards city hall, thus avoiding the build-up in the middle lane, which is actually pretty dangerous since you can also go right in the middle lane.

I've seen people stopped because of this a few times.

But other than that I think it's just to show a Garda presence. They put someone else across from The Sextant pub, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Holy Moly...does that require a whole hour of Garda time? Feel sorry for that Garda -stopping people for lane changing??? Still not quite sure of what they are doing there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I have no idea what the point is i was wondering that myself!,I didnt notice one there this morning possibly due to the rain?!
    I assme it is to deter people from blocking the junction by stranding themselves in the yellow box! they seem happy enough with all the clowns running red lights every morning there:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Skybox

History of accidents in the area I would think. If there was an accident there or by the sextant and the drivers of vehicles involved were to be waiting for the gardai to arrive before moving the vehicles, there would be chaos! That's my two cents worth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭VincentLeB

Skybox wrote: »
    History of accidents in the area I would think. If there was an accident there or by the sextant and the drivers of vehicles involved were to be waiting for the gardai to arrive before moving the vehicles, there would be chaos! That's my two cents worth!

Yeah but the Garda station in Anglesea St. couldn't be more than a 60-second walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Maybe he is keeping traffic moving so his colleagues get to work on time and get out of their car park. Does shift change happen at 8am by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

It might be a garda disciplinary thing; maybe the guard out there every morning either was late for his shift / forgot the donuts or is a junior guard being hazed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Traffic control. People don't obey the yellow box rule. On that junction, if it's blocked it shuts down access in and out of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭familystand

They are at the major junctions in the area to stop people blocking the junctions etc, A chief superintendent ordered it some years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

It's a pity he's not further back on the South Link. Some of the most moronic driving you can come across in Cork happens Monday-Friday, 8.00am-9.00am between those three lanes.

Advertisement