Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot or Cold Smoking

Options
  • 19-10-2013 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone much experience with hot or cold smoking?

I am making plans to build my own smoker to try this out as a bit of fun/hobby. I have read quite alot about it so far, however I would love to see a smoker in action and chat with someone that has experience using it.

I'm looking forward to sourcing different types of wood for particular cuts etc. So are there any restaurants, clubs or farms doing this that I could have a sneaky peak and pick some brains?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Are you looking to build a hot or a cold smoker? Or try both methods? They're quite different.

I regularly enjoy a bit of hot smoked fish etc. Very quick, easy and fun to do.

Cold smoking is a more involved process I believe, but I don't have any personal experience of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Are you looking to build a hot or a cold smoker? Or try both methods? They're quite different.

I regularly enjoy a bit of hot smoked fish etc. Very quick, easy and fun to do.

Cold smoking is a more involved process I believe, but I don't have any personal experience of it.

Hi. Yeah I would like to try the challenge of cold smoking but there seems to be a lot of work involved before they go to smoke. I'm still in research mode but going to keep an eye out for courses and books

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I hot smoke at home and it's as simple as can be. Have you got room outside in a garage or shed to do this? If you do all you need is some decent wood chippings, a camping gas container, a bread bin and a wire rack! It's very simple and straightforward and is lovely if you enjoy fishing, nice to come home with a cool box of mackerel and smoke them for supper! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

built an ugly drum smoker from a barrell, great job, do pork shoulder, brisket etc

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

connollys wrote: »
    built an ugly drum smoker from a barrell, great job, do pork shoulder, brisket etc

Hi, any chance of a few pics or diagrams, goin to build one, is it hard to control the temp of the smoke, what do you use as a heat source, & how did you prepare a pork shoulder

Ta
    A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

I didnt really take any pics, my brother sourced most of the materials not that there was a lot.
    Get a barrell, put a brush attachment on drill and sanded it back clean on inside. Four air intake holes about an inch from the bottom, put a valve on each so can open or restrict amount of air getting in. A metal basket for the coals sitting on legs about 2 inches off the base to let the air get under and to let the ash fall through.
    A Grate placed on four screws about 6 inches from the top and a thermometer screwed in just below it to gauge the heat.

Shoulder was skinned and a dry rub of mix of spices and brown sugar, wrapped in cling film over night.

We start with BBQ coals in the basket and when they are smouldering add wood we get from fallen, cut off branches from a local orchard. Keep an eye on the gauge and keep at about 100 degrees. Open the valves under the coals, gets hotter, close off and gets cooler. Simple really. Once you get your temp its pretty much stays there I found but still keep an eye on it every hour or so to make sure hasnt changed drastically. Place shoulder on the grate and let it smoke for 5/6 hours depending on the size, there are guides online to follow.

Oh yea, also have holes in the top of it to let the smoke out.

Pretty basic really, but really nice.

Loadsa videos on youtube if just put in ugly drum smoker.

Advertisement