Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get help with the cost of neutering my dogs?

• 19-10-2013 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I hope someone can help. Im a single parent (out of work). Ive got two dogs male and female that i need to get neutered, i just cant look after puppies and the bitch is due in heat soon. Ive rung all around the vets in kilkenny and noone will do anythnig to help with the cost, Does anyone know a good vet around here that does discounts for people on social welfare?

I know about the dogs trust scheme but a coupel of the vets said theres no spaces availabe until the new year and im worried itll be too late.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If you can travel to Dublin the Blue Cross do reduced neutering/spaying. Maybe contact them to see if there's anything nearer you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭b_mac

I am not having a go here, but if you can't afford getting your dogs neutered/spayed, maybe you should think of rehoming them.

What are you going to do if one of your dogs get sick or injured and you are facing hundreds of euro in vets fees?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

b_mac wrote: »
    I am not having a go here, but if you can't afford getting your dogs neutered/spayed, maybe you should think of rehoming them.

What are you going to do if one of your dogs get sick or injured and you are facing hundreds of euro in vets fees?

What an utterly judgmental, unhelpful post. Plenty of people manage to keep pets on a low income. Unless you can give a helpful response, do not post in this thread again.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

I would get the bitch done first as if she gets pregnant you will be left with the pups and you don't need that additional cost.

You check with your local rescues and see if they could get the bitch done a reduced cost for you and arrange to pay them back in instalments. Alternative, ask if any of the vets would do the procedure and allow you to pay in instalments.

I think most of the Dog Trust vouchers would have gone by now but put your name down with the vets for one for next year so that you can get the male done then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

If the bitch is coming into heat soon you won't be able to get her done for three months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

If you had the time a day trip up the north might b worth it.. think its something ridiculous like 20 pounds. We have family up there so was only 5 pounds to get our cat sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

You could get an injection to delay her heat which might tide you by until the Dogs Trust Vouchers come out. It would be cheaper then a spay. It would give you a chance to put some money by.

It is great to see you being so responsible. I hope you get sorted soon. Neutering the dog would also be cheaper then a bitch spay.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, have you contacted your local SPCA to see have they any sort of subsidised neutering scheme? Most rescues have an arrangement with their vets to get discounted neutering, vaxes etc, so you just may be able to avail of something like this if you were to talk nicely to a local rescue.
    I run a small rescue, and if I had any such arrangements with any vets in KK, I'd certainly offer this to you, but the nearest I have to you is in Dublin. If it's of any use to you, let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 biddymahon0

DBB wrote: »
    OP, have you contacted your local SPCA to see have they any sort of subsidised neutering scheme? Most rescues have an arrangement with their vets to get discounted neutering, vaxes etc, so you just may be able to avail of something like this if you were to talk nicely to a local rescue.
    I run a small rescue, and if I had any such arrangements with any vets in KK, I'd certainly offer this to you, but the nearest I have to you is in Dublin. If it's of any use to you, let me know!

Thanks everyone for your help. I took your advise and rang our SPCA Their not sble to help themselves but they gave me a number of a vet in thurles that does discounts for people on welfare payments. Suposed to be v good and they re doing me a good deal on the two dogs. Brittas vets for any1 thats interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

That is great news. I'm delighted you are getting sorted. It is not easy being a single parent trying to manage dogs and kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Sorry for going off topic but just in regards to the vets up the north... Would they take someone with a southern address or do you have to be a resident of the north?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

cruais wrote: »
    Sorry for going off topic but just in regards to the vets up the north... Would they take someone with a southern address or do you have to be a resident of the north?

They actually didn't ask my address. I had an uncles one ready to write down but wasn't necessary. I think it u want to only pay 5 pounds u need a senior citizens name from the north, otherwise its 20. Id say depends where you go, no harm calling and asking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

roseybear wrote: »
    They actually didn't ask my address. I had an uncles one ready to write down but wasn't necessary. I think it u want to only pay 5 pounds u need a senior citizens name from the north, otherwise its 20. Id say depends where you go, no harm calling and asking

I believe thats the Dogs Trust scheme, DT are a charity and these schemes are paid for by their supporters. I feel it is unethical to use someone else's details to take money from a charity. If you qualify yourself through your own circumstances, then go to your local vet and ask to be put on the waiting list, but if you can afford to get your dog neutered/spayed, then please don't rip a charity off.

Advertisement