Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is your primary source?

• 19-10-2013 11:15am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My mother passed away last week and I shall feel her loss for so many reasons not least of which will be her absence from my genealogy project. It was my Mum who got me interested in the family tree many years ago and it was always her that I went back to, to inquire about long since deceased relatives and to share with her whatever discoveries I had made during my research. It's a sad time but the work must continue.

My own interest had initially been in the Pelly branch of my mothers tree which was a fascinating journey back in time and around the world but I have since expanded on all the main branches of her tree and done something similar for my Dads side of the family. Recently I've even begun work on my partners family tree which her Dad has warmed to with great enthusiasm.
    But as I've said already Mum was always the focus of my research and to that end I began writing her letters detailing my progress. These proved of great benefit to Mum as she could read each letter as often as she wished and at her own pace, much more useful than listening to me prattling on as I tried to describe it all in a single breath!
    But those letters became very useful to me too. As no letter could be written without first thoroughly researching the particular area of interest so it spurned me to be more thorough in what I was doing and not brush over the little details which are too often neglected.

So this all got me wondering about the rest of ye.
    Who or what was it that kick-started your interest in your family tree?
    Is there just one person who's contribution to your research has been invaluable? Or are you fortunate to have several relatives or friends who have shown enthusiasm for your project?
    And is there a single person who is the focus of your research? Are you like me, sharing in a parents curiosity about their roots? Or are you on quest to find a long lost relative?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Really sorry to hear about your mother, Hermy.

Mine started due to a history project when I was 12. I guess I was more into it than my classmates. I was always a nosy little girl!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

It is so long ago, I can't actually remember how I got into it. However, I was working in the UK at the time and due to finish my contract at the end of the year. I decided to go and see an old aunt when I returned home as she had done a lot of research shortly after the war (the last one, I'm not that old!).

All plans made to return in the first week of the new year - my aunt died a few days before my return, but she did leave a mass of information - hand written.

Over the years, I have expanded the tree to over 18,00 people and still finding them.

As a side note, if you keep coming across particular surnames over and over again, although they don't appear to be connected, include them - you may find a connection in years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I was just a curious child when I began questioning my mother 50 years ago. I took down some notes at the time which were invaluable when I got really serious about researching more recently. Yes, I actually had my notes all those years. Unfortunately by then almost everyone had passed on including my mother but the information she gave me at the time gave me a good foundation on which I could build a decent tree. Thanks Mum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I am sorry to hear of your loss, Hermy.

I didn't start into my genealogy project until nearly all the people who might have been my primary sources were already gone. This was particularly true on my father's side, the one about which I was more curious. I knew my paternal grandfather when I was a child, and knew nothing about the family from which he came. All I had was an idea that he was born in Co. Wicklow - and I found that none of my siblings or cousins shared that belief: most thought he was born in Dublin. Mild curiosity and the release of the 1911 census data started me on the road (and yes, I was right: he was born in Wicklow, but the family moved to Dublin when he was very young)

On my mother's side I don't get primary information, but I get little bits of corroboration along the lines of "Oh, yes, that's right; I knew we had some sort of connection to the Kevanes".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Hermy, my sincerest sympathies to you and your family.

I got into genealogy when I graduated from college in 2008. It was an extension of my interest in local history and wanting a project between graduation and getting my first job. I did get a little obsessed with it all!

Initially it was my parents; my dad was great for the stories in his line and my mother was good for the years of important events in her line. I have a paternal aunt who is also a good source to confirm things as she has a great knowledge of our wider Buggy family.

My 92 year old maternal granny has been great over the last few years. She knows I have the genealogy bug and she has always given me info and pictures when I have seen her over the last few years.

Strangely, I haven't really gone near my own family tree in the last three years. But that was due to working in the industry and therefore doing other peoples. Finished with that now so I'm really looking forward to getting back into it.

I'll finish with a bit of advice for any other younger genealogists: My dad died suddenly two years ago so don't take it for granted that your parents will be around for years. Try and get them involved in your project. Do oral history interviews with them and record the conversations. You and future generations will be glad you did it.

I'm currently helping my father-in-law do such a project with his 93 years old; born in Italy; immigrated to the US by himself as a 12 year old; fought in WWII, Vietnam & Korea father. Some of the stories are unreal.

DO IT!! :D

• Advertisement

Hermy, my sincerest sympathies to you and your family.

I got into genealogy when I graduated from college in 2008. It was an extension of my interest in local history and wanting a project between graduation and getting my first job. I did get a little obsessed with it all!

Initially it was my parents; my dad was great for the stories in his line and my mother was good for the years of important events in her line. I have a paternal aunt who is also a good source to confirm things as she has a great knowledge of our wider Buggy family.

My 92 year old maternal granny has been great over the last few years. She knows I have the genealogy bug and she has always given me info and pictures when I have seen her over the last few years.

Strangely, I haven't really gone near my own family tree in the last three years. But that was due to working in the industry and therefore doing other peoples. Finished with that now so I'm really looking forward to getting back into it.

I'll finish with a bit of advice for any other younger genealogists: My dad died suddenly two years ago so don't take it for granted that your parents will be around for years. Try and get them involved in your project. Do oral history interviews with them and record the conversations. You and future generations will be glad you did it.

I'm currently helping my father-in-law do such a project with his 93 years old; born in Italy; immigrated to the US by himself as a 12 year old; fought in WWII, Vietnam & Korea father. Some of the stories are unreal.

DO IT!! :D
    There is a voluntary group in Tramore, Co Waterford doing this on a wider scale. They get some of the "senior" citizens and record their memories of Tramore, although, for data protection and legal purposes, they don't refer to people names or identity.

There are probably other groups around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Sounds like a fascinating programme. I know someone who did this with immigrants for a different type of programme and she said it was a wonderful privilege to be able to record their experiences. I'd love to do it with our seniors as I love hearing the old stories. Problem is, someone may knock on my door for MY memories one day soon which will be a bit of a reality bite for me!!!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Sounds like a fascinating programme. I know someone who did this with immigrants for a different type of programme and she said it was a wonderful privilege to be able to record their experiences. I'd love to do it with our seniors as I love hearing the old stories. Problem is, someone may knock on my door for MY memories one day soon which will be a bit of a reality bite for me!!!
    If their memories are not recorded soon, all will be lost as the seniors die and take the stories to the grave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭VicWynne

Really sorry to read of your loss, Hermy.

I always loved the stories of my fathers aunt when I was little. Unfortunately I didn't pay enough heed to them and only remember a couple of bits & pieces. Thankfully my dad's interested in my research and loves when I find something that triggers another story or memory for him. I should really record him when he's telling me stuff, but more often that not, it comes up in conversation when I'm not expecting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Hermy wrote: »
    Who or what was it that kick-started your interest in your family tree?

Is there just one person who's contribution to your research has been invaluable? Or are you fortunate to have several relatives or friends who have shown enthusiasm for your project?

And is there a single person who is the focus of your research? Are you like me, sharing in a parents curiosity about their roots? Or are you on quest to find a long lost relative?

Sorry bout your Ma Hermy. :(

My interest in my family history started when I was a boy growing up in Canada. My Dad was Canadian born (as was his father and paternal grandfather before him) but with an Irish surname. My mother was Irish born, from South Armagh (with Cavan, Armagh, Louth and Monaghan ancestors) who had emigrated to Canada in the mid 60s. So even though I was a Canadian citizen, 'being Irish' always predominated. At some stage of my youth in Canada (before I was 10, at which age I came to live in Ireland) I was told the story of the original ancestor who had come to live in Canada. All Dad knew (or was told) was that she was a widow, travelled with her juvenile son and was from Tralee. That story stayed with me until 3 or 4 years ago when I got real serious about this genealogy stuff.

It turns out she was baptised in Tralee but grew up near Abbeydorney and lived her married life just south of Listowel. She was widowed, and came to Canada in 1853 with 4 children, not 1. From that kernel, I've now tonnes of info. So I suppose really that is my quest for a long lost ancestor which began due to my personal circumstances as a kid in a land with an Irish surname.

On my mother's side, my most valuable resource has been my maternal grandmother, or Nan as we called her. She died in 1981, just a few short weeks after my arrival on these shores. Thing is, my aunt, and Nan's eldest daughter, recorded an interview with her in the early 70s about all her ancestors, or at least all she could remember. It was a Q and A session, and has proved unbelievably invaluable to me. Quite honestly I'd not have found the half of what I have without her memories. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement