Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What speed should you get on WiFi on N Home Network?

Options
  • 19-10-2013 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭

Toshiba labtop running Windows 7 with a Netgear WNDA3100 USB adapter installed. My router id a Netgear DGND 3300v2 model. I am currently with Eircom and have the "up to 24 Mb" package

Connected Devices are

• Laptop
    • TV
    • WD TV Live
    • iPhone (from time to time)
    On my laptop if I check the connection speed I see 104 Mbps which can dip down as low as 26 Mbps and a couple of times I have seen 180 Mbps. Signal strength does not appear to be the issue as both the Netgear app and Windows report a signal strength of "Excellent" and show 5 bars.

All devices are N capable. Router is located in my hall, just inside the hall door. I would usually use my laptop in my beadroom, which is just at the top of the stairs. So apart from the bedroom door, not too much obstructing the signal.

Should I not expect to get a higher connection speed than 104 Mbps over wireless? I thought N networks were up to 300 Mbps. Only getting 33% of this seems fairly poor to me. Is there any way to increase this?

TIA for any and all responses

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

You are doing fine.

802.11x routers are advertised with peak numbers. There are not at all achievable in an ordinary domestic context.

Lets step back a little.

1 - Wired connections will always be faster than wireless. This is never, ever, ever, going to change.

2 - but, connecting things by wire is a pain

3 - so, we trade the convenience of wireless for significantly reduced speed.

I have a decent enough 802.11n 2x2 MIMO wireless running a 40MHz channel on 2.4GHZ band and get an average of 16-20 Mbits on the wireless devices in my home, with no 'blackspots'. My previous 802.11G router with no mimo & only 20MHz channel, delivered just about 5Mbits / sec, with a number of blackspots in the home where the average rate was 0Mbits/sec!

Bottom line: Ignore 'rated speeds' such as 150 Mbits etc. The real issue is - do all your wireless devices get enough speed to so what you want them to do.

And, 104 Mbits/sec over a wifi connection is grand.

FoxT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Running 40 MHz channels on 2.4GHz isn't always going to be successful. If there are nearby APs running on any of the channels within that 40 MHz you'll lose throughput. Channels 1 and 6 or 6 and 11 are preferred but just about every Eircom Wireless unit runs on one of those channels and all Cisco/Linksys APs auto select their channels after detecting the local traffic, so if you live in a built up area you will suffer.

If distance isn't an issue and you can use 5GHz then much better for 40MHz channels. Obstructions aside you should be hitting about 50Mbps and up. Many more channels to choose from (automatically usually) so less chance of interference.Those claimed speeds of 300Mbps are usually achieved by MIMO where both TX and RX have the multiple antennas required and are usually restricted to using a single brand of AP and receiver.

Maybe it's time to change up to 802.11AC ? 160MHz dual channel mode (80MHz standard channel width) with higher throughputs possible, up to Gb speeds.

Ken

Advertisement