Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on begging with pups

• 19-10-2013 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Over the last week in cork ive seen people begging with puppies. Dogs looked fine one even had a coat on him but the guy he was with was slouched over him and I felt for the dog. It goes without saying I'm also concerned for the human begging on a wet pavement etc etc. Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

They use rabbits in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Have seen a few with dogs/pups and as was said above, one or two with rabbits in Dublin CC. I always wonder how they manage to feed them properly and pay for vet visits if needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Its a lot less cruel then keeping them in a garden. The get attention all day. You should happy for the dog that the owner isn't working 9-5.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Pabmac

Yeah saw that on telly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

GarIT wrote: »
    Its a lot less cruel then keeping them in a garden. The get attention all day. You should happy for the dog that the owner isn't working 9-5.

Obviously a dog needs attention but like I said above, what about proper food and vet visits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

It's a common sympathy gaining ruse amongst beggars.

The moment any of the dogs look in poor health i'd be immediately reporting it to the local SPCA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

Seen it in Galway a few times,I wonder what happens the dog when it gets too big to carry around.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Pabmac

col.in.Cr wrote: »
    They use rabbits in Dublin.
    Have seen a few with dogs/pups and as was said above, one or two with rabbits in Dublin CC. I always wonder how they manage to feed them properly and pay for vet visits if needed

In england there are volanteers who go around to check on dogs welfare at night and make sure they are being cared for. Maybe they do that here. I hope when the pup gets older its not disgarded. I think people who see the pup will give more money. Good kerb appeal ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I hate it. There's a woman I happened across a few times in Dublin who was using a kitten...but it was a different kitten each time.

You'd wonder how they manage to keep the pup/kitten from being normal wriggly inquisitive little things. I don't know any 7 week old kittens that would be happy to just sit all day.

I don't mind so much when you see someone with the same dog all the time as they have usually built up a bond and you would hope the animal gets anything it might need.

I know the rabbit guy loves his pet, but it seems like a miserable existance for the poor thing :( at least dogs are built to be around people so city living can be adapted to. Rabbits I would have thought would be completely lost with all that concrete and the crowds of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

If people are sleeping rough (many Boardsies won't realise that this was virtually unknown in the 1980s, when there was proper Corporation housing, and it became a thing after it spread from Thatcherite Britain) a dog will keep them warm and defend them. It's another aspect of how cruel Irish society has become; we are divided one from another.

• Advertisement

If people are sleeping rough (many Boardsies won't realise that this was virtually unknown in the 1980s, when there was proper Corporation housing, and it became a thing after it spread from Thatcherite Britain) a dog will keep them warm and defend them. It's another aspect of how cruel Irish society has become; we are divided one from another.

You're so right.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Homelessness describes the condition of people without a regular dwelling. People who are homeless are most often unable to acquire and maintain regular, safe, secure, and adequate housing, or lack "fixed, regular, and adequate night-time residence. Homelessness was invented by Margaret Thatcher in the 1980's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

If you have a pet you can not go in a shelter for the night.
    I would never give up my dog so I would be ok for the night but my dog may be killed.
    A dog will live better as homeless with a person than that person will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

The Blue Cross offer free vet services to the animals too. If you look into it, I dare say many of the animals are in better health than their humans.

I remember about 10 years ago in Cork, there was a man and his dog begging. All he had was a bottle of water and a tin of dog food, which he shared with the dog. I saw him eating it with a fork with my own eyes. He could have gotten himself something, but he thought more of the dog. There is many a man and woman with 100k in the bank that could learn from him!

Advertisement