Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nitro PDF Software Version 9

Options
  • 19-10-2013 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

Hey all

I downloaded a trial version of the above software. It is similar to Adobe Acrobat. I am finding it excellent for combining PDF files into one file, converting Word files to PDF and adding files to an existing PDF document.
    The free trial is only for 2 weeks and the price to buy it is $139.99.
    I know there is free software out there which I downloaded. However, it was full of adware and other problems and was going to slow down my laptop.

Has anyone else bought the above and would you recommend it?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Nitro PDF is riddled with adware.

DoPDF and PDFSAM are my tools of coice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Can you elaborate on 'riddled with adware'?
    I don't seem to have any issues with it so far??:confused:

They silently install OpenCandy on your system

Ok I have read a bit about OpenCandy online.
    But it seems that this is a standard industry practise for companies to pay their bills. Microsoft, AVG and many others have used it to allow other software to be advertised to a user when downloading their software package.
    So is there a big deal?

I've also read about a program called RunAsDate which allows you to bypass trial expiry dates on software packages.
    But I presume this thing is full of adware and a much greater threat, perhaps logging keypresses etc??
    Otherwise nobody would buying software packages. The trial version would do.

• Advertisement

Ok I have read a bit about OpenCandy online.
    But it seems that this is a standard industry practise for companies to pay their bills. Microsoft, AVG and many others have used it to allow other software to be advertised to a user when downloading their software package.
    So is there a big deal?

Just because other crooked b@st@rds do it as well this malpractice has now become an industry standard? :confused:
    I've also read about a program called RunAsDate which allows you to bypass trial expiry dates on software packages.
    But I presume this thing is full of adware and a much greater threat, perhaps logging keypresses etc??
    Otherwise nobody would buying software packages. The trial version would do.

I don't care if RunAsDate infects your computer. Using share/trialware beyond the evaluation period is illegal, whether the software remains fully functional or works with limited functionality (crippleware), it makes no difference. Remember the old shareware motto, a software worth using is worth paying.

Having said that, why would I want to pay a company with a questionable track record $140 when I can get the same functionality elsewhere free and clean?

I wouldn't mind paying for the software. It is expensive enough but I do think it has value. Some of the 'free' options you listed wouldn't have the ability to edit PDF documents, something this software has. It also has the ability to add your signature to the PDF document by taking a photo with your camera phone and embedding the image, which I have done and it looks very good.
    I may well end up buying it as I find it very handy for putting lots of different documents into a single PDF file which can then be attached to an email as a single attachment, which could be printed off by the recipient.
    I just wanted to get opinions of people who may have used it.

I bought this this evening for €136. The price includes a backup CD.
    Without the CD you can get it for €116. You just download the software and then enter an activation code.

Advertisement