Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good cheap can opener.

Options
  • 19-10-2013 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

As the title says I'm looking for a good cheap can opener.

Most of the ones I come across cannot maintain a grip, don't cut into the can unless you really force it or break after very little use.

Do any of you have any suggestions based on the ones you may have picked up?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

To be honest - good can openers do not come cheap. Spend a bit of cash & get a decent one.

I generally use the opener on my Swiss Army knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Alidee

In terms of tin openers, I wouldn't put GOOD and CHEAP in the same sentence. If you want something GOOD that lasts, is easy to use, and does the job perfectly you will have to spend quite a lot of money (but worth it). Otherwise you'll lose your patience and threaten to throw tin and tin opener out the window. I have the Oxo Good Grips one for years.... and it's great. Very pricey, I agree, but money well spent. I also have the OXO potato peeler, and wouldn't be without it either. Love their products and are stocked in good hardware kitchen outlets all over the country. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Grips-Soft-Handled-Opener/dp/B00004OCJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382208493&sr=8-1&keywords=good+grips+tin+opener

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We got a Morphy Richards one in TK Maxx and it's very good. Cost about 6 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

You could also pick one up in IKEA if you ever go there. I have this one for €6, bought 3 years ago, absolutely no complains about it.

But then again going to IKEA only for buying a can opener might not necessary be worth your while, and I'm sure you find something sturdy and long lasting quality in any good kitchen shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

In the end I spotted one in tesco for €1.50, it's not the most durable thing in the world but compared to the one with a broken handle in the house I'm renting it should do the job.

Will look into the TK Max one in the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement