Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What email solution for multiple email addresses? Gmail?

Options
  • 19-10-2013 2:57pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My dad works for many different clients at the same time and for each one he usually has an email address. Currently he uses outlook on his pc, and I add each new account for him - and all the mail comes in there. However its very messy, and managing it all is tricky, especially trying to get email when not at his pc. I do have it set up on his phone (Galaxy note) but only so he can see new emails when not in his office. Works ok but harly idea.

I was thinking maybe it would be better to set him up with a gmail address, and have all the other email account set up on that, coming in to the one inbox. I'm just not sure how this is done. His mail email is him@hiscompany.ie - he also has a mail.com forwarder for his personal stuff, then about 6 different pop3 email addresses for the clients he works with.

So how exactly do I set this up? Do I just get him a random gmail address - then add all the others, or do I need to assign hiscompany.ie email to a gmail domain? Do I need to pay?

I'd appreciate some advice on how to do this from those who know!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Gmail will allow you to send/receive from several accounts - there is a limit not sure how many
    for receiving you can set up a label for each account and reply from the account email was received for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

micks wrote: »
    Gmail will allow you to send/receive from several accounts - there is a limit not sure how many

The feature's called Mail Fetcher, the limit is 5 additional accounts.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks guys I've had a look into this and it looks like the best solution. If I set this up, can my dad still use Outlook to view his email on his home pc? He's a creature of habit and hates when I change things, but I think I can get it all on gmail but remain the same for him on his pc using outlook. Does it just work on imap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Zascar wrote: »
    Thanks guys I've had a look into this and it looks like the best solution. If I set this up, can my dad still use Outlook to view his email on his home pc? He's a creature of habit and hates when I change things, but I think I can get it all on gmail but remain the same for him on his pc using outlook. Does it just work on imap?
    He can but if it's POP3 only, it just gets messy since he will have a copy locally and online - using Gmail to manage it all is 100% the right option, I suggest you maybe remove 1 account fror Outlook and add it to Gmail and let him test it out. Once you have filters and labels setup, I bet he won't want to ever return.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ah shyte. I was hoping that was not the case. Honestly my dad hates anything new - at all . He's in his 70's and any change is a big deal. Strange as in my last job we used Gmail but we could also use Outlook - most of us used both in Tandem - outlook would just put a front end on the info in Gmail. How was this done and can I do it? Is it only in Google apps perhaps? If its cheap it might be worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Zascar wrote: »
    Ah shyte. I was hoping that was not the case. Honestly my dad hates anything new - at all . He's in his 70's and any change is a big deal. Strange as in my last job we used Gmail but we could also use Outlook - most of us used both in Tandem - outlook would just put a front end on the info in Gmail. How was this done and can I do it? Is it only in Google apps perhaps? If its cheap it might be worth it.
    If it was setup where if a mail was deleted / read in Outlook and was also deleted / read in Gmail - that was IMAP.

With POP3, assuming Outlook is set to "Leave a copy of messages on the server" and not set to remove after a set amount of days - then you could use Gmail and Outlook in tandum but, if you get 100 new mails in Outlook and delete 50 - you will have to delete those 50 in Gmail too.

Szn05Hl.gif

Now if the last option in the settings above "Remove from server when deleted from deleted items" is enabled and Outlook is used for 90% of the time and the deleted mails are purged, then Gmail checks for new mail - you won't see those deleted items when it polls (every 60 minutes by default).

You should check the hosts of all accounts and see if the use IMAP at all, if so - this will be a life saver for you. What domains are each?

PS: I just upgraded the OH Dad's Eircom account from POP3 to IMAP yesterday evening because he was sick of getting the same emails of all 5 devices they use.

pop3.gifimap.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

advertsfox wrote: »
    If it was setup where if a mail was deleted / read in Outlook and was also deleted / read in Gmail - that was IMAP.

With POP3, assuming Outlook is set to "Leave a copy of messages on the server" and not set to remove after a set amount of days - then you could use Gmail and Outlook in tandum but, if you get 100 new mails in Outlook and delete 50 - you will have to delete those 50 in Gmail too.
    Can I piggyback on this thread for a related question?

I've used POP3 to bring my gmails to Outlook for years without problems. I have three Gmail accounts covered.

I reinstalled my OS and Outlook earlier this year. Since I set up the Gmail accounts on my newly installed OS, I find that mails which I have deleted from Gmail during the day are still coming through to Outlook in the evening. I've had a good look through the settings, but I can't see anything relevant to this scenario.

Is there something I need to change so that deleted emails don't come through to Outlook later on?

Advertisement