Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naomh Eanna - Grand Canal Dock

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Two business traded from the ship for quite a few years, where did all the money that was paid in rent go to I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I'm typing up something now.

Beat you to it with Jimmy Deenihan jimmy.deenihan@oir.ie

but I don't expect much as he seems clueless in his ministerial brief. :(

And I've just emailed Leo Varadkar here: minister@dttas.ie

I really don't have the time to do anymore today and I won't be on Liveline as I don't know enough about the Naomh Eanna.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Apparently the businesses still use her http://www.flagshipscuba.com/ship.php

The thing about maritime heritage is, it costs lots and lots of €€€€€€. Who's going to pay for it?

The cost of the Vessel could be initially paid by the state with the cost paid back over time from rents of the business' that use the Naomh Eanna as a Base such as the surf dock, scuba school and I had posted earlier that the upper decks could be turned into a restaurant/ Café which would have a good chance of success give the boats location in the Grand Canal Docklands and proximity to apartments and businesses.

I came across this post from an Admin on the Inland Waterways Association forum today: http://www.iwai.ie/forum/read.php?1,53753#contents

Is it any wonder that when those purportedly interested in boats/ships have this kind of attitude, that those who have no real interest - other than their pay packets - couldn't care less. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Saw that, sums up the couldn't give 2 sh*ts attitude towards heritage in this country perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Unbelievable - only in Ireland could this still happen. Has anybody contacted the media about this fiasco? :mad:

Perhaps they should break-up the "Mary Stanford" at the same time and save a few bob.

The historic Mary Stanford has been safedby the grateful people of Ballycotton and will soon be removed, by road, back home, to be placed on a permanent display outside the Lifeboat station, as a memorial to the brave actions of its crew.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/spiritual-home-beckons-for-storied-mary-stanford-lifeboat-249885.html

The historic Mary Stanford has been safedby the grateful people of Ballycotton and will soon be removed, by road, back home, to be placed on a permanent display outside the Lifeboat station, as a memorial to the brave actions of its crew.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/spiritual-home-beckons-for-storied-mary-stanford-lifeboat-249885.html

I've seen this story before, and just how long do you think that the boat will last outside on a concrete plinth.

Since my earlier posts I've also contacted Frank McDonald in the Irish Times and Marcus Connaughton on the RTE Seascapes programme. However, having spoken to one of the people behind the "Naomh Eanna Trust" it appears that there's little hope for the vessel as Waterways Ireland http://www.waterwaysireland.org want it removed by next week as it's not tidy enough for them.

I've seen this story before, and just how long do you think that the boat will last outside on a concrete plinth.

Since my earlier posts I've also contacted Frank McDonald in the Irish Times and Marcus Connaughton on the RTE Seascapes programme. However, having spoken to one of the people behind the "Naomh Eanna Trust" it appears that there's little hope for the vessel as Waterways Ireland http://www.waterwaysireland.org want it removed by next week as it's not tidy enough for them.

It will last longer on a concrete plinth than it's current location. It is an 80 year old boat.
    Waterways Ireland want everything out of the dock.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I came across this post from an Admin on the Inland Waterways Association forum today: http://www.iwai.ie/forum/read.php?1,53753#contents

Is it any wonder that when those purportedly interested in boats/ships have this kind of attitude, that those who have no real interest - other than their pay packets - couldn't care less. :rolleyes:

IWAI is a voluntary organisation, they have no employees (:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement

IWAI is a voluntary organisation, they have no employees (:rolleyes:)

You could try reading what I wrote rather than what you think I wrote. I didn't suggest that the IWAI had paid employees. :rolleyes:

It will last longer on a concrete plinth than it's current location. It is an 80 year old boat.
    Waterways Ireland want everything out of the dock.

Months or years? Might as well plant flowers in it too.

213998-what-do-abandoned-boats-239420-boat-full-flowers-old-row-boat-has-been-turned-into-flower-garden-shore-o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The intro to Seascapes last night mentioned this, like they were going to do a feature or at least a few minutes on it - but then never mentioned it again :confused:

Thought it was pre-recorded? Bit odd that they'd have a line on it in the intro and then.... nothing!

That happens a lot on seascapes. Often the article they mention at the start isn't played till weeks later. Very frustrating since Tom retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I had many trips on Naomh Eanna to the Aran ISlands as a kid, I still remember the day she arrived in Galway to take over the service to the Aran Island and operated by CIE, she was a top heavy boat and rolled a lot in heavy seas but she was a lovely boat and was spotless inside with a lovely lounge bar area and seating. In the summer she would be full to capacity with tourists visiting the Islands, she could only dock at Inishmore and anchored off Inishman and Inisher where you went ashore by currach and the cattle were swam ashore, it was unreal to see cookers and fridges being put on currachs for transport to shore, they nearly sank with the weight. she was also used as a tender for the Holland American liners Maasdam,Ryndam and Niew Amsterdam when they called to Galway, many times she was unable to get passengers on or off due weather and the Pilot got many a trip on the liners as he could not get off she rolled so much.

My cousin was on a trip to Aran when the Naomh Eanna received the May Day that a KLM plane had crashed off the West Coast, she left for the scene with some passengers still on board including him, she was on scene I think for a few days and picked up some of the crashed planes debris. She was eventually replaced on the liner work by the newly acquired Galway Bay which was originally a tug in Southampton as Calshot, Galway Bay was a very sturdy boat and she never had a problem with weather, the Naomh Eanna returned to her normal service to the Islands until she was retired by CIE.

Galway Bay done the Aran Island service for a while after Naomh Eanna and she also done the so called "Bop On The Bay" where she left the docks at 9pm in summertime at night cruising Galway Bay with a disco on board and returning at around 1am in the morning, they were great nights and always had a great crowd on board, Galway Bay was very nice inside with two decks of lounges and a large closed in area with large windows to look out, she is now restored as Calshot in Southampton but they are two great ships that will live in my memory but very sad to see the way the Naomh Eanna was treated, she should have been kept in Galway as a Maritime Museum and given a run during the summer months with tourists.

Some nice pictures here
    http://galwayships.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=9&page=1

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

New facebook page to help save her https://www.facebook.com/groups/naomheanna/

It's been rusting away there for years, yet the facebook "save me" group was only created an hour ago? How are they hoping to save it? Have they money to buy it?

It's been rusting away there for years, yet the facebook "save me" group was only created an hour ago? How are they hoping to save it? Have they money to buy it?

It's better than helplessly wringing their hands or saying it's a pity to see it scrapped like some on here. It turns out that the ship still belongs to CIE so there shouldn't be any mad urgency to scrap it or raise funds to save it. Everybody involved on the pro-scrapping side need to hold-off and see if something can be done even at this eleventh hour.

Needless to say I haven't received a reply to my emails to Deenihan/Varadkar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Almighty hurry to scrap it stinks just a little. Maybe they were hoping to scrap it quietly and hope no-one noticed?

Interesting point raised elsewhere, hull may contain asbestos.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It's better than helplessly wringing their hands or saying it's a pity to see it scrapped like some on here. It turns out that the ship still belongs to CIE so there shouldn't be any mad urgency to scrap it or raise funds to save it. Everybody involved on the pro-scrapping side need to hold-off and see if something can be done even at this eleventh hour.

Needless to say I haven't received a reply to my emails to Deenihan/Varadkar.

Or do WI own her http://afloat.ie/home/item/24399-heritage-ship-naomh-eanna-set-for-scrapping?utm_source=Ireland+Afloat&utm_campaign=57ec6dd014-AfloatEbulletin_Feb102_10_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_56cc7c153a-57ec6dd014-64313585

According to the "Naomh Eanna Trust" Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naomh-Eanna-Trust/211241455563057 - CIE still own the ship. An irrelevance anyway as both bodies are State controlled and shouldn't be colluding to destroy heritage/tourist attractions. However, given the moronic way both bodies have operated over the years I wouldn't be optimistic that things can be resolved. What's needed is instruction from on high but that's also unlikely as there's much more important issues like bugging to be discussed. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Is she even seaworthy at this stage, could she be towed to Galway docks for example and Galway Co. Co. restore her as a tourist attraction?

This was just posted on the facebook page, might bring you back :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUNfovLWktA

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I had many trips on Naomh Eanna to the Aran ISlands as a kid, I still remember the day she arrived in Galway to take over the service to the Aran Island and operated by CIE, she was a top heavy boat and rolled a lot in heavy seas but she was a lovely boat and was spotless inside with a lovely lounge bar area and seating. In the summer she would be full to capacity with tourists visiting the Islands, she could only dock at Inishmore and anchored off Inishman and Inisher where you went ashore by currach and the cattle were swam ashore, it was unreal to see cookers and fridges being put on currachs for transport to shore, they nearly sank with the weight. she was also used as a tender for the Holland American liners Maasdam,Ryndam and Niew Amsterdam when they called to Galway, many times she was unable to get passengers on or off due weather and the Pilot got many a trip on the liners as he could not get off she rolled so much.

My cousin was on a trip to Aran when the Naomh Eanna received the May Day that a KLM plane had crashed off the West Coast, she left for the scene with some passengers still on board including him, she was on scene I think for a few days and picked up some of the crashed planes debris. She was eventually replaced on the liner work by the newly acquired Galway Bay which was originally a tug in Southampton as Calshot, Galway Bay was a very sturdy boat and she never had a problem with weather, the Naomh Eanna returned to her normal service to the Islands until she was retired by CIE.

Galway Bay done the Aran Island service for a while after Naomh Eanna and she also done the so called "Bop On The Bay" where she left the docks at 9pm in summertime at night cruising Galway Bay with a disco on board and returning at around 1am in the morning, they were great nights and always had a great crowd on board, Galway Bay was very nice inside with two decks of lounges and a large closed in area with large windows to look out, she is now restored as Calshot in Southampton but they are two great ships that will live in my memory but very sad to see the way the Naomh Eanna was treated, she should have been kept in Galway as a Maritime Museum and given a run during the summer months with tourists.

Some nice pictures here
    http://galwayships.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=9&page=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Two business traded from the ship for quite a few years, where did all the money that was paid in rent go to I wonder?

Yeah, 20 years someone said. Why was some of that rent money - if it was paid or collected - not used to keep the outside of the ship painted and maintained?

If it had not fallen in to disrepair it could look quite attractive there, and possible have a café on the deck too as someone suggested.

Someone was buzzy last night ;)
    Photo from Naomh Eanna Trust.

1743627_708096342544230_1206642718_n.jpg

Reminds me of the save Frascati House campaign. A little bird tells me that we can expect more developments shortly. :D

Typical lightweight RTE interviewer still any publicity is good publicity.

• Advertisement

Another little bit from afloat http://afloat.ie/home/item/24432-save-naomh-eanna-campaign-courts-tds-to-support-heritage-ships-future

And a letter sent to the deputies that may have gotten her a bit of time in the "Houses of the Oireachtas today"

file.php?1,file=4678

Advertisement