Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotpress Bonding

Options
  • 19-10-2013 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

not news to most electricians but news to SEAI seemingly..
    http://www.voltimum.ie/articles/bonding-hot-presses

"In this context the Cylinder in the Hot Press falls into the same category and need not be bonded as any short stubs of copper to which the plastic pipes are connected are deemed to be all part of the tank from an electrical conductivity point of view "

"In fact it is now regarded as undesirable to attach a bonding or earth conductor to an isolated metal object, such as the cylinder in this case, in that by doing so you are introducing a path by which an electrical charge could become present on metal, which, in the absence of the earth conductor, would have no possible means of generating or becoming charged with voltage"

"If an electric immersion heater is fitted to the cylinder it must of course be earthed, as is the case with every electrical appliance, but the earth in the circuit supplying the immersion heater is deemed to be sufficient for compliance with ETCI Wiring Rules"

typical of the sort of issues with various inspectors ime...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

Reminds me of a problem I had a couple of years ago, I posted a thread here. I got a savage shock in the kitchen when I was pulling out a faulty washing machine, the casing of which turned out to be at mains voltage. I put my other hand on the stainless steel sink, zzzzzt I got a right whack as the sink was earthed-bonded.

I decided to remove the Earth bonding from the sink because it is remote from any electrical appliances, and is plumbed in qualpex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

in theory the sink should have been at the same potential

doesn't always work out like that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

in theory the sink should have been at the same potential

If the machine`s earth was missing, there wont be any remaining at equal potential if the machine itself develops a fault to its frame.

Advertisement