Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eVision and broadband speed

Options
  • 19-10-2013 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi,
    I cannot find any info on how is the eVision affecting the speed of the eFiber; will be interested in see what is the traffic required/used by eVision for one box and for multi-room.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi,
    I cannot find any info on how is the eVision affecting the speed of the eFiber; will be interested in see what is the traffic required/used by eVision for one box and for multi-room.
    Thanks
    [font=Times New Roman", "serif]Hi softdancomputer,[/font]

[font=Times New Roman", "serif]With the new eVision service, the speed of your service will be determined on the bandwidth capability. There is a minimum of 6mb Fibre speed specifically for the internet service and the remainder can be used for the eVision service.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman", "serif] [/font]

[font=Times New Roman", "serif]If you wish to explore your options further you can contact our sales team on 1800 503 303, they'll be able to talk you through the best option for you.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman", "serif] [/font][font=Times New Roman", "serif] [/font]

[font=Times New Roman", "serif]Thanks[/font]

[font=Times New Roman", "serif]Tracey[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

Hi,
    Thanks
    Hi softdancomputer,

With the new eVision service, the speed of your service will be determined on the bandwidth capability. There is a minimum of 6mb Fibre speed specifically for the internet service and the remainder can be used for the eVision service.

If you wish to explore your options further you can contact our sales team on 1800 503 303, they'll be able to talk you through the best option for you.

Thanks

Tracey
    Hi Tracey,
    That's a little confusing: from my (theoretical) 50Mb speed, i will have just 6Mb for internet and 44Mb will go to eVision?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi,
    Thanks
    Hi softdancomputer,

With the new eVision service, the speed of your service will be determined on the bandwidth capability. There is a minimum of 6mb Fibre speed specifically for the internet service and the remainder can be used for the eVision service.

If you wish to explore your options further you can contact our sales team on 1800 503 303, they'll be able to talk you through the best option for you.

Thanks

Tracey
    Hi Tracey,
    That's a little confusing: from my (theoretical) 50Mb speed, i will have just 6Mb for internet and 44Mb will go to eVision?
    Thanks

[font=Times New Roman", "serif]The 6mb speed is set aside for internet service as a minimum however you can use more eFibre service as you wish. There are many different factors and services with the eVision which determine the speed of your eFibre. Your best option is to contact the team to explore your options.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman", "serif]I'm afraid I have no more information on this here.[/font]

Thanks

Tracey  

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ChrisMcCauley

I have eVision installed. I'm down about 19-20Mbs running live TV. Typically I had about 48Mb/s on my eFibre connection, now I have 29Mb/s.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

I have eVision installed. I'm down about 19-20Mbs running live TV. Typically I had about 48Mb/s on my eFibre connection, now I have 29Mb/s.

Chris

Hi Chris.

Can I ask what speed you get while watching a HD channel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Chris

Hi ChrisMcCauley

evision does indeed use up some your bandwidth, for more information on this please contact the technical support team on 1890260260.

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

Chris
    Grand, that answer my question.

Chris

Hi ChrisMcCauley

evision does indeed use up some your bandwidth, for more information on this please contact the technical support team on 1890260260.

Thanks

Al
    No need for a follow-up with tech support, customers should be expecting to lose a fair chunk of bandwidth to allow for eVision.

Chris

Chris

Hi ChrisMcCauley

Thanks

Al
    No need for a follow-up with tech support, customers should be expecting to lose a fair chunk of bandwidth to allow for eVision.

Chris
    I was wrong earlier when I said that eVision was taking around 20Mb/s - as part of the install Eircom dropped my profile WITHOUT ASKING from 50Mb/s to 40MB/s (I discovered by testing the connection when eVision was off then checked with support). Given that, eVision is using around 10Mb/s. 

I've canceled the service it isn't reliable enough and changing my profile like that just really <horrible words here> annoyed me.

Chris

Hi Chris.

Can I ask what speed you get while watching a HD channel?

I didn't check with a HD stream running unfortunately.

Just one correction to the number I quoted. It turns out that as part of the install, Eircom dropped my profile (without telling me) to make eVision more reliable. I was on 50Mb but they dropped me to 40Mb so my figures are wrong. It looks like eVision was using around 9Mb/s for SD broadcast not the 19Mb/s or so that I thought. 

I didn't check the rate when viewing HD and unfortunately the services was to unreliable so I'm cancelling it. Losing 10Mb/s even when eVision is switched off is just daft.

Chris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Hi,
    Thanks
    Hello,
    I'm due to get eVision installed on Mon.
    During the Ordering procedure, under an asterisk was a note saying that my speed would be "optimised" to 50, I have a 70 speed contract.
    I have noticed this week that my speed as in their configuration page is 43mbs down (I'm reading 40) which I presume is in anticipation of  eVision .
    They wouldn't want to knock another hunk off it or I'd be back to pre fibre speeds.
    I cannot help but wonder if 43mbs is now what I can expect from eircom, whether I should apply to have my contract changed from "up to 70" to "up to 50".
    Mind you the 43Mbs is grand from a functional point of view, very steady graph on speedtest etc., makes me wonder if the higher speeds were more apparent than real.
    Worrying as well that there are some people who are in WTF mode following installation seem to have great difficulty getting support.
    But then for a free box,  six months free and a tenner a month thereafter it's worth a try.
    The reduction in speed of almost a third is what surprised me.
    Time will tell

Hi,

I got eVision installed last Tuesday and my profile dropped from 50Mb/s to around 39Mb/s. In addition eVision seemed to use about 5Mb/s of the remaining bandwidth. I've posted in another forum a longer description of the bandwidth implications.

Hopefully your experience will be better than mine but I cancelled eVision as it was pretty unreliable for me. It is however really slick and fast when it does work.

Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi,

I got eVision installed last Tuesday and my profile dropped from 50Mb/s to around 39Mb/s. In addition eVision seemed to use about 5Mb/s of the remaining bandwidth. I've posted in another forum a longer description of the bandwidth implications.

Hopefully your experience will be better than mine but I cancelled eVision as it was pretty unreliable for me. It is however really slick and fast when it does work.

Chris
    Hi ChrisMcCauley

I saw your post on another thread which I responded to. The efibre & eVision are both supplied through the modem so a percentage of the bandwidth will be dedicated to the eVision *this can vary depending on  the max speed capability of the line the number of eVision services that the customer can avail of and signs up to.

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

ainiseoir wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks
    Hello,
    I'm due to get eVision installed on Mon.
    During the Ordering procedure, under an asterisk was a note saying that my speed would be "optimised" to 50, I have a 70 speed contract.
    I have noticed this week that my speed as in their configuration page is 43mbs down (I'm reading 40) which I presume is in anticipation of  eVision .
    They wouldn't want to knock another hunk off it or I'd be back to pre fibre speeds.
    I cannot help but wonder if 43mbs is now what I can expect from eircom, whether I should apply to have my contract changed from "up to 70" to "up to 50".
    Mind you the 43Mbs is grand from a functional point of view, very steady graph on speedtest etc., makes me wonder if the higher speeds were more apparent than real.
    Worrying as well that there are some people who are in WTF mode following installation seem to have great difficulty getting support.
    But then for a free box,  six months free and a tenner a month thereafter it's worth a try.
    The reduction in speed of almost a third is what surprised me.
    Time will tell
    Hi ainiseoir

Hope you don't mind the copy and paste.

"eVision are both supplied through the modem so a percentage of the bandwidth will be dedicated to the eVision *this can vary depending on  the max speed capability of the line the number of eVision services that the customer can avail of and signs up to"

Mark

Advertisement