Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coffee tips needed for Latte, Mocha etc

• 19-10-2013 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭

I have a basic coffee machine at home. i buy standard ground coffee in the shop, and make a nice cup of black coffee (adding milk and one sugar!). Pretty straight forward!

Now, for Xmas I know that there will be a coffee bean grinder and milk frother coming into house.

It would be nice to be able to make latte, mocha, cappachinos etc for guests.

Could anyone point me at good beans or ground to use for different types of coffee. More imporantly, any provide sites or tips on making different types of coffee using the gadgets I have. I presume they can be done without fancy gadgets like nespresso machines?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 geoffro bodine

In the same boat as you mate, ive just received an espresso/cappucinno maker that ive wanted all year so was made up, however mastering the machine and finding the rite coffee to use isn't as much fun as receiving the gift lol if you find anything out before me plse can you let me no and i will return the favour cheers and all the best

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What sort of beans are you using now? Need some freshly roasted beans also.

what kind of grinder have you got? Need to have a burr grinder to make proper espresso.

Also you need to get your espresso right before talking about milk based drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

In the same boat as you mate, ive just received an espresso/cappucinno maker that ive wanted all year so was made up, however mastering the machine and finding the rite coffee to use isn't as much fun as receiving the gift lol if you find anything out before me plse can you let me no and i will return the favour cheers and all the best

Based on the above and your other posts it looks like you need to focus on what grind the coffee is.

The majority of pre-ground coffee in supermarkets is ground for a french press/plunger/cafetiere. This is considerably coarser than the fine grind you need for espresso. To make things even more confusing, supermarkets will often label preground as espresso roast, indicating a dark roast but this is nothing to do with grind.

You need a fine grind to use with the espresso machine , if it is too coarse the water will flow through the basket too quickly and you'll end up with a watery and poorly extracted coffee.

It is not easy buying preground to 100% match the exact grind your machine will need, hence why most people buy a grinder and tweak the exact grind at home to match their own machine.

Your best bet is to try one of the artisan coffee roasters and order preground for espresso.
    You'll be roughly in the right ball park with this type of coffee and grind. If you must go the supermarket route, try the illy preground or Marks & Spencer might stock a preground for espresso.

Let us know where in the country you are based and we can recommend some lo all suppliers of fresh roast coffee who can supply ground for espresso.

The rough rule of thumb is to be prepared to spend twice what you spend on an espresso machine on a grinder.

You might find this a useful read and a good starting point on understanding espresso.

http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-guide-good-extractions.html

Advertisement