Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to lower my ping. EPC3925

• 19-10-2013 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

i used to be 15ms on eircom and im usually 35-40 on upc. its a joke. would getting a router help? im big into playstation gaming so its important to me

3043751550.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gingeralien

Ping your router / modem
    Then ping an external web site
    I had a netgear router that was putting 10ms on to my ping's
    A ping of 35-40 is not that bad !
    Are u experiencing problems when playing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Ping your router / modem
    Then ping an external web site
    I had a netgear router that was putting 10ms on to my ping's
    A ping of 35-40 is not that bad !
    Are u experiencing problems when playing ?

i had to google how to ping my ip and a website but i think i did it right in RUN

IP ping - 2ms average
    ww.youtube.com ping - 14ms

yet speedtest gives me 35ms?

i dont really experience "problems" just often i feel like i could have won that runfight or whatever but i guess that is just ps3 gaming in general? just i was hoping to get 15ms like i did with eircom

im getting a netgear n600 next week so will having that connected to my modem make gaming and all around internet based activities better?(not that its "bad")

The ping as reported by speedtest.net isn't always accurate. You're better off measuring the ping via the command prompt or terminal.

Make sure you a using the same connection as your playstation
    Unplug the network connection in to you playstation and plug it into you laptop/pc and test the ping

Make sure you a using the same connection as your playstation
    Unplug the network connection in to you playstation and plug it into you laptop/pc and test the ping

i use wireless on both laptop and ps3. i never used wired in my life as its downstairs and my connections are upstairs. will my new router make gaming better?

• Advertisement

Ok

place you laptop on/close to your playstation
    put in cmd again
    and type tracert www.google.ie

Ok

place you laptop on/close to your playstation
    put in cmd again
    and type tracert www.google.ie

heres the results

Untitled.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

MarkY91 wrote: »
    i dont really experience "problems" just often i feel like i could have won that runfight or whatever but i guess that is just ps3 gaming in general? just i was hoping to get 15ms like i did with eircom
    20ms difference will not make any difference short of playing at the most extreme levels of skill and ability basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nody wrote: »
    20ms difference will not make any difference short of playing at the most extreme levels of skill and ability basically.

CSS pros can do just fine at 60/65. Dont worry about it.

I shaved 10-15 ms by bridging the 3925, not that was why I did it. Also using wireless adds latency in most cases, if you're so eager to get it down go wired/homeplugs.

If your not experiencing rubber banding and lag .I don't see why your trying to fix something that's not broken. 30 to 40ms Ping is fine for gaming after all its only adding a Max of 2 fps ( 16ms is one fps) . Changing your router will not help because you have 1ms ping to it (just to double check your router ping the first device after your router )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's going to depend on where you're pinging to.

a ping is how long it takes for a signal to get from your laptop/ps3 to a specific point on the internet, so depending on where that far point is, your ping to that point could be very different.

the speedtest server you are pinging may be further away than the google servers are, or the networks you have to cross to get to them may be faster or slower and it will all affect how long the ping takes to get there and report back to you.

hmm guess theres nothing i can do then. thanks guys

seems that this epc modem on its own is useless. what should i buy to better my experience? a router to bridge to the modem or some homeplugs?

Advertisement