Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Modern Dublin Rough?

Options
  • 19-10-2013 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Right so I know there have been threads like this in the past but the answers were from a few years ago so I'd just like to get peoples opinions on it now.

Where in Dublin do you think is the roughest, now. Many people have talked about Ballymun, Sheriff Street etc as being among the roughest back in the 80's but as most Dublin people will know, they're not as bad anymore.

Now when I say 'rough' I don't mean young fella's on street corners, sure you get that nearly everywhere. I'm talking about high crime levels, vandalism, burglaries etc.

I'd rather hear from people who have lived in these places as 'passing by' doesn't really give a good idea of what they're like.

I've lived in a lot of places around the city, Bridgefoot Street, Oliver Bond, O Devany Gardens, Dorset Street and Basin Street.

In my opinion, Bridgefoot Street had a high level of drug use back when the flats were there but right across the road in Oliver Bond seemed much worse. When I moved to O Devany Gardens it also had a lot of drugs as well as burglaries, vandalism etc, but out of all of them, the area surrounding Basin Street in Dublin 8 seemed the worst, from Thomas Street onward was quite a rough area.

I can't comment on Summerhill, Buckingham Street, Tallaght, as I've only ever been around there a few times but places such as Dolphins Barn, Darndale, Finglas and Ballymun seemed to have quietened down in recent years.

Any opinions are appreciated and I do not mean to cause offense to anyone living in these areas, everywhere has good and bad :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rollup

Im scared to go near templebar, i have been verbally abused to many times after refusing to buy "c*caine" or not giving somebody money for "the hospital" as if, thats just my opinion but i would consider templebar "rough"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Ballyfermot, never seems to have quitened down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

rollup wrote: »
    Im scared to go near templebar, i have been verbally abused to many times after refusing to buy "c*caine"

This is not a common occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It's never happened to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I think unfortunately the government doesn't care about the state of Dublin city. It's a good city, that could be great. It kills me to see all the drug users all over the place and particularly in tourist areas. This is due to poor planning. Like having all homeless centres, soup kitchens and drug services in the city center.

I think there is very few unsafe areas in Dublin city anymore. You can walk home late at night to the suburbs with no problem. Although I wouldn't live in most of Dublin 1/7. I think if the drug problem was trackled it would be a safer city. Most problems are drug related.

• Advertisement

The vast majority of those people aren't dangerous though, they are just a nuisance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ive been assaulted twice, but dont consider dublin itself to be particularly rough. Its just the nosiest crowd draws the most attention. Happens everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I don't know if "rough" is the right word... there are certainly a huge amount of junkies and aggressive skangers around Dublin 1 and Dublin 7 in particular, but for the most part, they're more of a nuisance than a violent crowd. I find them a bit intimidating, but 99 times out of 100, they're easy to side-step and avoid. Though maybe I'm just immune to it having studied and worked in the city centre every day for the last five years. I hate the Red-Line Luas with a passion though.

You mentioned Tallaght in the OP: it isn't as bad as it's usually portrayed to be. The place name "Tallaght" is used to refer to a huge area, most of which is fine. There are a couple of dodgy estates within that area, but there are many nice and normal estates too that tend to get lumped in with the bad ones, despite being miles away. I live in one part of Tallaght and the places always mentioned in the news aren't even in walking distance from my house...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

Lux23 wrote: »
    The vast majority of those people aren't dangerous though, they are just a nuisance.

True, but I don't think anyone can deny that there's an edge to the OCS/Talbot St area.

I work around the IFSC so I'm around the City Centre a good bit and personally I haven't felt threatened anywhere in the City but I do feel more comfortable around the Graton St/SSG area. Can't explain it as I'd consider myself a Northsider at this stage but I'd tend to relax more on the Southside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

hfallada wrote: »
    I think unfortunately the government doesn't care about the state of Dublin city. It's a good city, that could be great. It kills me to see all the drug users all over the place and particularly in tourist areas. This is due to poor planning. Like having all homeless centres, soup kitchens and drug services in the city center.

I think there is very few unsafe areas in Dublin city anymore. You can walk home late at night to the suburbs with no problem. Although I wouldn't live in most of Dublin 1/7. I think if the drug problem was trackled it would be a safer city. Most problems are drug related.

Where in D7?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Lived in the North Inner City and Finglas and hated them both, I think when people are describing 'tough' areas it's not the case as imagined that you need to be Chuck Norris or Mike Tyson to live in them, they're tough in the sense that living in them is a depressing f**king drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tadgh1087

This is not a common occurrence.

Agree. If you feel scared then everything looks like a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Im scared to go near templebar, i have been verbally abused to many times after refusing to buy "c*caine" or not giving somebody money for "the hospital" as if, thats just my opinion but i would consider templebar "rough"

I wouldn't consider it rough don't think I have ever been offered cocaine openly in templebar as for the people begging there a nuisance nothing more and if they do become to much of a nuisance usually a firm **** off sends them on there way.
    hfallada wrote: »

Dublin is no worse than any other majorl city in world and a lot safer than a lot. Truth be known majority of people will go every day without experiencing anything or seeing anything happen. Keeping your wits about you and not being naive often helps prevent these things from happening. Sadly tourists often fall foul in every major city because they are easy targets unsure of there surroundings, naive etc.

As for having homeless centers, soup kitchens and drug services in the city center were would you suggest they put them? Of coarse there going to be put were the most badly needed which is the city center. Sure we just round them up and put them in a camp down the country so no one has to see such travesty and we can pretend this side of the world doesn't exist ;).

Hootanany wrote: »
    Where in D7?

I suppose Stoneybatter, Smithfield and parts of Phibsboro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I dunno about high crime areas but it's not exactly rough to me.
    There's a few places that I can think of that people think are "rough" but it's not really bad.
    It's more of the fact that groups of skangers (read: skangers, not city people) have a sort of natural manner of just detecting fear and preying on it.

Obviously I wouldn't go wandering around places where I know there'll be large groups of them but for the most part day time isn't really rough to me. Dunno about high crime areas, really. As in proper crime and not a handful of people drinking on the street at 2am

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

When has this happened? recently? Templebar has been grand any time I've ever been there. Its a bit different alright with rep's hanging around outsite the resteraunts/pubs trying to pull the punters inside and all but I'v never had hassle around TB at all. Who are you talking to down there??? :pac:

As for myself, I'd say fairview at night can be a bit dodgy, and around amien street/5 lamps/Sherrif Street area the same but all in all, even these places are not so much dangerous as just run down and depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I've been living in Dublin 1 for the past 10 years. I would agree it is not a rough place in the sense of being physically threatening, I've never had any problem with the local skangers and junkies nor have i witnessed them threaten anyone but each other. During this time, although I have learned about the history of inner city Dublin and gained some understanding of the way poverty and unemployment can take generations to correct itself, my empathy for some of those less fortunate than myself has been strongly tested. The attitude of junkies and skangers would wear down the most cheerful and tolerant of us and I wish to God somebody in Social Services or the HSE could do something about it. Its an indictment that modern Ireland has an underclass beyond any meaningful sort of help. So I would agree that parts of Dublin are rough in the sense that they are bleak and depressing, for a variety of reasons, but not violent. Terrible planning is just one of them. Many parts of Dublin look awful on a wet day anyway. Bleak misery is part of its character.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I've lived in London and Edinburgh as well as Dublin and Dublin definitely has the roughest feel on the street but I don't think its any more dangerous.

This week I did have a guy try to rob my shop with an imitation gun (I think it was imitation anyway!) and a hammer but that stuff happens everywhere the odd time. He knew there were Gardai on the street when he did it too which was pretty mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I suppose Stoneybatter, Smithfield and parts of Phibsboro.

I've lived in a few houses in D7 for the last 6 years - Arbour Hill, Prussia Street, Blackhorse Ave, Phibsboro and now just off the NCR by the Park.

D7 is a cracking area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Cycling past Christchurch Square/Cornmarket or Dorset Street (the council flats) after nightfall is no joy at all :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

It's all subjective I suppose.I lived in St.Michaels Estate in Inchicore in the mid 90's during the heroin boom and didn't think it was rough,just very depressing seeing used needles,human waste and kids playing,all in the same area.The attitude of most of the people living there,and of the Gardai and health board who were tasked with trying to sort things out was just one of apathy.

Same with areas in Neilstown and Fettercairn in Tallaght back then,and the stuff that you see on Marlborough and Talbot St in town these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JordanG990

Have to say, I was out in Basin Street the other day, I always knew the place was a bit run down and had a big drug problem as I used to live there but seems to have just gone downhill recently.

Now, junkies and young fella's hanging around flats is a common occurrence in a lot of council flats around Dublin but I think Basin Street took the biscuit when I walked down and was greeted by a fella and his bird slumped against the wall (clearly out of their heads) with children playing around them, no older than nine or ten and not batting an eyelid.

There were two grown men roaring abuse at each from the balconies of they're flats while there children were looking on.

Another group of lads were drinking at the bottom of a stairwell and were eyeballing and making comments to a lot of people who walked past them.

I do honestly be embarrassed to tell people I am from that area but on the other hand, I would not like for people around there not to know me when I'm there as I would feel very uneasy and quite frankly, scared

maximoose wrote: »
    I've lived in a few houses in D7 for the last 6 years - Arbour Hill, Prussia Street, Blackhorse Ave, Phibsboro and now just off the NCR by the Park.

D7 is a cracking area.

I live in Stoneybatter and wouldn't describe it as rough, but some people see a dodgy looking character and nearly wet themselves with fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I had a zombie jump out of me near Abbey street and shouted Braiiiins in my face. Except replace zombie with junke and brains wih skins.
    In any case I was taken aback.

It's rough looking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I don't think Dublin is dangerous but parts of the city are as rough as a bears arse.

The amount of Junkies Per Square Meter (JPSM :pac:) from Amiens street to Stonybatter is ridiculous, especially along the luas line. Just little gurriers all over the place getting in people faces and being annoying little toerags in general. I can see why some people would find it intimidating but I've never felt unsafe.

Dublin in general is just an ugly, dreary city in general and the JSPM ratio doesn't help matters much.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Junkies are not pleasant to see and it's pretty embarrassing to see our capital's main street littered with them but for the most part junkies are too fvcked up to do you any harm. It's the tracksuit wearing, knife toting scroates I would be more wary of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Dublin is no worse than any other majorl city in world and a lot safer than a lot.

Having been in a number of major cities throughout the world I think that Dublin has a disgracefully high number of junkies/scrotes and a low police presence. Sure, there are scum in all major cities but Dublin has them unpoliced along the main tourist thoroughfares. There is quite a bit of intimidating threatening begging also. I don't disagree that it's probably safer than a lot of places but the junkie count is depressingly high and has been increasing in recent years IMO.

I have not experienced such high junkie levels along the main tourist spots elsewhere tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Having been in a number of major cities throughout the world I think that Dublin has a disgracefully high number of junkies/scrotes and a low police presence. Sure, there are scum in all major cities but Dublin has them unpoliced along the main tourist thoroughfares. There is quite a bit of intimidating threatening begging also. I don't disagree that it's probably safer than a lot of places but the junkie count is depressingly high and has been increasing in recent years IMO.

I have not experienced such high junkie levels along the main tourist spots elsewhere tbh.

I love America but try driving down Hollywood Blvd. ;)

A friend of mine lived in Vancouver and he said that's the worst he's ever seen, they are all on meth though so makes them very aggressive. Let's hope they don't get into it here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

A friend of mine lived in Vancouver and he said that's the worst he's ever seen, they are all on meth though so makes them very aggressive. Let's hope they don't get into it here!

Oh no I always thought Vancouver is some sort of heaven on earth type of place...

Continental Europe cities can be quite scummy too. Not just junkies, but aggressive begging, scummy deals, threatening looking people. Drugs openly offered in Barcelona or Lisbon, a couple of main streets in Prague are distinctly shady, Amsterdam is sleaze central in places.
    Germany, Austria and Scandinavia fare better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement