Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Modern Dublin Rough?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

realies wrote: »
    Ballyfermot, never seems to have quitened down.

Have to disagree, always feel 100% safe in Ballyfermot - honest.
    But in town yesterday with my daughter, a place I don't go into much anymore and I felt like I had to keep watching my back all the time.
    There just seemed to be so many dodgy characters hanging around by the GPO and O Connell St in general. Gangs of 5 or 6 lads who seemed to be giving signals (whistling and the like) to each other for what ever reason. I was standing outside cleary's while noticing this.
    Glad to get out of it tbh. Having said that, I've never had anything too bad happen to me in Dublin in all of my almost 30 years living in the capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭disco1

Try a night in the A&E in the mater hospital... Rough as f##k. Junkie city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

While it would be unwise to say that Dublin is perfect, when it comes to crime it does not seem to be any worse or better than most cities of comparable size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

disco1 wrote: »
    Try a night in the A&E in the mater hospital... Rough as f##k. Junkie city.

Do you work in the A&E department in the mater?

If not, what were you doing there at night?

Realtine wrote: »
    Have to disagree, always feel 100% safe in Ballyfermot - honest.

I haven't had any trouble in Ballyfermot in recent times; the last time anything happened to me there was November 1995. Any recent trouble I've had has been in the city centre, especially around O'Connell Bridge. Someone kicked me in the back of the leg on O'Connell Bridge because I ignored him and walked around him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Someone said to me recently that they feel much safer in the southern half of the city centre than the north and I though they were being dramatic... but since then I have really noticed the difference between both sides! Excluding Westmoreland Street (and Temple Bar at night), the southside has far less junkies than the O'Connell St-Henry St-Talbot St-Marlborough St area. Have rarely seen any trouble around "red town" (all the streets between Grafton St and Georges St, so Wicklow St, Exchequer St, Clarendon St, Sth William St, Drury St, etc) and Nassau & Dawson St are fine too... I realised that I spend most of my time over that side too without ever thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

There's hardly any drug services on the southside of the city, well apart from the quays and James Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

Lived in Stoneybatter for a while really liked the place, though there are a lot of junkies/alcoholics they just seemed to be completely out of it, so not a hassle in threatening or violent behaviour but they caused a messed be it cans or excrement, really disgusting.

Dublin is a real nice place but it's problems are so prevalent and it's a relatively small city so it becomes more obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

mhge wrote: »
    Oh no I always thought Vancouver is some sort of heaven on earth type of place...

Continental Europe cities can be quite scummy too. Not just junkies, but aggressive begging, scummy deals, threatening looking people. Drugs openly offered in Barcelona or Lisbon, a couple of main streets in Prague are distinctly shady, Amsterdam is sleaze central in places.
    Germany, Austria and Scandinavia fare better.

The downtown east side in Vancouver is like Marlborough or Talbot Street times a million.It had the highest rate of HIV infection outside of Africa at one stage.Open drug dealing and taking,as well as the associated violence.I was shocked when I ended up there one day when I went for a stroll.

They opened up a safe injection clinic in the area which has helped things dramatically,though last I heard the newly elected conservative government were trying to have it closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Lux23 wrote: »
    There's hardly any drug services on the southside of the city, well apart from the quays and James Street.

pearce st, used also for junkies that kicked off from their own clinic for whatever reason. Streets around inner city south side are as bad the north side just the streets are busier with normal people and more bustling so it doesn't look as bad

• Advertisement

pearce st, used also for junkies that kicked off from their own clinic for whatever reason. Streets around inner city south side are as bad the north side just the streets are busier with normal people and more bustling so it doesn't look as bad

There's none on Stephens green shall we say!

Out of interest, what is with this whistling thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Maybe, but I've very rarely had any trouble in that set of streets between Grafton Street and Georges Street, compared to being accosted by junkies on an almost daily basis on O'Connell Street/Henry Street/Abbey Street etc. (And I pass though both areas every day when I'm working...)

Maybe, but I've very rarely had any trouble in that set of streets between Grafton Street and Georges Street, compared to being accosted by junkies on an almost daily basis on O'Connell Street/Henry Street/Abbey Street etc. (And I pass though both areas every day when I'm working...)

Actually, there's a few around there, although not so many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Do you work in the A&E department in the mater?

If not, what were you doing there at night?

You know people go into A&E that dont work there right? When they have an accident or emergency!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement