Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water Harvesting

• 19-10-2013 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

I am looking into this rain water harvesting idea.
    Could you filter the water from your roof directly into your well? As for the well water would be filtered, treated and run through UV light for potable uses.
    Would such a simple solution work?

I know there is the systems where you put a larger capacity tank in the ground, fed from the roof rain water and then filtered and pumped to your header tank in the roof.

Would a direct feed into a well be an option?

Any information or feedback would be great

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

If you have a well why do you want to harvest rain water ?

Sort of the good lord and the fields around your well will do that for you

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭robclay26

fclauson wrote: »
    If you have a well why do you want to harvest rain water ?

Sort of the good lord and the fields around your well will do that for you

I know a well is good and what they can do, but a top up or extra source of free rain water as back up is a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Even if you just used harvested rainwater for flushing toilets and outside taps you'd saved a significant amount of water and would only need very basic filtering.

Seems pointless to me - rain water need filtering just the same as water out of the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭robclay26

That is very true. Its quite a new method in this country for dealing with water. As with micro wind generation, we get plenty of wind to make the investment in a small turbine and here, we get more than enough rain to be independent of water charges if we had a sufficient system even as you said to flush the toilets

• Advertisement

But you say you have a well - most wells are dug deep enough not to need to meet your needs

I do not understand why you would want to divert rain water from your roof down there when its already collecting its water from many acres of land elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I don't know if your working on the idea that the level of water in the well will rise up the well shaft if you pipe the rainwater in there but it won't. All that will happen is the existing water in the well will flow "backwards" and the level will always stay the same.

The well level is dependant on the water table ie amount of water stored in the ground

Advertisement