Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer not powering up

Options
  • 19-10-2013 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can shed any light on a problem I have with my desktop computer.

I went to turn it on today and there is no response when I press the power on button. Last time I used it was on Thursday night and I ran a few windows updates and powered it off.

I have tried different power cables and from different plug sockets with no joy. And other devices can be powered on from the same plug and socket.

Has anyone ever came across anything like this before? I don't wanna start buying new motherboards, fans etc if it is not the issue.

The computer is a dell xps 8300 and under 2yrs old.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Disconnect the power cable, press the power button a few times to make sure everything is properly discharged and then try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭robryan

Thanks for the replies lads.

I unplugged and pressed power button a few times but still seems to be dead after plugging the power cable back in.

I took the case off and tried the unplugging of the fan and attempted a power up, still no joy.

There is a green light on the desktop which I take it indicates there is power going into the machine. Also when the case was off I see an amber light on the motherboard, is Amber an indication of a fault or is this normal ?

Thanks again
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 30,273 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Power supplies can can give trouble as can motherboards, have had trouble with both in the past, tricky to know which is the problem or even if its something else

Would try disconnecting things like hard drives and ram from the motherboard and see if it makes any difference

Not sure what options there are for fixing, could get a power supply tester or a new power supply but might still be the motherboard

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭robryan

Cheers ghost train,

Does look like I could be checking a few things and not knowing if I am looking in the right place.

Will try disconnecting a few things a see if it then powers up.

Do you by any chance know of any decent repair shops in Dublin I could bring it that would be able to have a look at it.

Cheers
    Rob
    Power supplies can can give trouble as can motherboards, have had trouble with both in the past, tricky to know which is the problem or even if its something else

Would try disconnecting things like hard drives and ram from the motherboard and see if it makes any difference

Not sure what options there are for fixing, could get a power supply tester or a new power supply but might still be the motherboard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Start with the hard drive, I had 2 Dell laptops here recently. Both didn't power up... until I have removed the HDD.

Advertisement