Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco wrong pricing..... AGAIN!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

brokenarms wrote: »
    Was shopping today. Passing the fruit and seen the easy peeler oranges. Could not resist. Picked up the bag on top and popped it on the scales. Was 3 sets Two mechanical and one digital. All the exact same result.

gh40.jpg

Hard to get it any closer to 500g than that.

So why are they still advertised and sold as being 600g??

http://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268508462

Tesco Goodness Easy Peeler Citrus Pack 600G

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Its a mistake online. Plain and simple.

I think it said 500 on the label.

Is strange no one has bothered to fix it. I guess they don't follow boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Honest mistake, or are they hoping the price difference goes unnoticed?

6 pack of Johnston baby wipes (336 wipes in total) €8 a box.
    12 pack of Johnston baby wipes (772 wipes in total) €24 a box:confused:

Why three times price for only double the quantity???

2k5i.jpg

n6h5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Its a mistake online. Plain and simple.

I think it said 500 on the label.

Is strange no one has bothered to fix it. I guess they don't follow boards.
    It is a mistake they are well aware of as i have reported thos to them several times as far back as a year ago and through incompetency or possible fraudulent design they continue to advertise the smaller pack at the larger weight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

Was shopping today. Passing the fruit and seen the easy peeler oranges. Could not resist. Picked up the bag on top and popped it on the scales. Was 3 sets Two mechanical and one digital. All the exact same result.

Hard to get it any closer to 500g than that.

Aren't they like 3 for 3euro (cheap) ?

And I don't really get it .. if it says 500g on pack, it is 500g and you are not happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

198321 wrote: »

And I don't really get it .. if it says 500g on pack, it is 500g and you are not happy?

I'm always happy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

This post has been deleted.

If Tesco wish to use such dirty tricks to catch out 'idiots' simply because they don't look at the price, tis no wonder week in, week out, they continue to lose market share to the German giants.

Packs of baby wipes are generally aimed at... Er parents.. ....

Shopping Sometimes with babies in tow, they'll obviously grab the bigger box falsely believing it'll be better value for money.

What Tesco's doing here is shafting them. Plain and simple.

They are advertised as being 600g online so they should be as advertised. I am payiing for 600g not 500g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

foggy_lad wrote: »
    They are advertised as being 600g online so they should be as advertised. I am payiing for 600g not 500g.

Well if they are 600g online and you only get 500g (shopping online) thats wrong .. worth to contact Tesco and hope for 20e gift card apology :cool:

However if they are advertised as 500g in store and you get 500g - I believe thats ok

• Advertisement

Well if they are 600g online and you only get 500g (shopping online) thats wrong .. worth to contact Tesco and hope for 20e gift card apology :cool:

However if they are advertised as 500g in store and you get 500g - I believe thats ok
    They have been advertised online as 600g for well over a year yet have only been 500g despite me complaining and ringing tesco several times and being refunded each time. Obviously the false advertising of them as 600g is worth more to tesco than having to refund a few customers each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

They have been advertised online as 600g for well over a year yet have only been 500g despite me complaining and ringing tesco several times and being refunded each time. Obviously the false advertising of them as 600g is worth more to tesco than having to refund a few customers each week.

Agree with the sentiment. Sure if you were charged the wrong price they say yeah well that price is for a 600 gram bag. Yours is a 500gram bag. It is a different product.

Agree with the sentiment. Sure if you were charged the wrong price they say yeah well that price is for a 600 gram bag. Yours is a 500gram bag. It is a different product.
    It is exactly the same product which was at one time 600grams but then this was cut back to 500grams and they never changed the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

It is exactly the same product which was at one time 600grams but then this was cut back to 500grams and they never changed the website.

Yes I am with you on this. Some one it may have been you, I don't won't posted a picture of the shelf pricing where it still gave a weight of 600 grams. They are wrong on both front. I have seen plenty of pricing errors in tesco in my days. If I had just accepted the package was 500gram instead of 600 grams as shown on the website or shelf sticker, then realised on top of this that the price was different I would be well pissed off, especially if they tried to pull something like that. My reason for making that point was because they tried to get out of a policy they had at the time that said if the price you see is not what you pay you got the item free.

It happen one on an item that came up €7 higher than displayed. They admitted that the price was different but they didn't wanted to give it to me for free because it was on promotion even though the promotion was active.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭doublej

It is a mistake they are well aware of as i have reported thos to them several times as far back as a year ago and through incompetency or possible fraudulent design they continue to advertise the smaller pack at the larger weight.

In fairness to foggy lad, I have seen his complaints( which are bordering obsessional!) on the 600/500 online for some time and am genuinely amazed that Tesco have allowed the online offer to remain as it could most certainly be construed to be misleading advertising, a practice that is contrary to Irish Consumer legislation,
    Did you ever complain directly to National Consumer Agency?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Tayto 12+6 pack were advertised as €3.92 on the shelf but when I got home I noticed I'd been charged €3.94.

I also bought two packs of Tampax which were advertised as €3.99 each but on the receipt, I'd been charged €4.09 for one and €3.99 for the other.
    I was also charged €0.67 for Erin soup when it was advertised on the shelf as €0.54.

Also happened when I bought two bars of Cadbury chocolate. Was charged €5 when it was advertised as two for €2.50.

I have emailed Tesco several times to complain about being overcharged and all they do is apologise and send out a voucher to compensate, but they never say anything about looking into the problem or getting back to me with an answer as to why this keeps happening.

Fair enough I've got a voucher now but is that going to solve the problem?

It happens because they make too much from the false and misleading advertising to stop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Just a quick update, received the following letter from the asai. Tbh, I wasn't expecting much and as you can see, I didn't get much :rolleyes: If the asai are accepting this crap from tesco and letting them get away with it then no wonder they keep doing it :mad:

An offence has been acknowledged in this letter.
    Retailers are OBLIGED to have the same price that is charged at the Point Of Sale on all shelf edge labels.
    Send a copy of the ASAI letter to the NCA (National Consumer Agency) along with your complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I agree, thats crap, 99% of misleading adds are error, they are still misleading.

How many out of date posters is a shop allowed to leave up before an asai complaint is upheld?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

doublej wrote: »
    An offence has been acknowledged in this letter.
    Retailers are OBLIGED to have the same price that is charged at the Point Of Sale on all shelf edge labels.
    Send a copy of the ASAI letter to the NCA (National Consumer Agency) along with your complaint.

A genuine question, hope someone knows the legals of it.

would this not be 'invitation to treat' and no obligation required?

The offence that is created is specific to the difference between the advertised price at the shelf edge label and the price of that product when scanned at the till.
    Both of these prices MUST be the same.

The store can refuse to sell the product to you but cannot mislead a person by using a different price to entice the purchase and charge a different price later.it is a misleading commercial practice and is prohibited under our Consumer Laws.
    The only defence that can be offered is if a third party( or the consumer) switched price labels on a product but this would be unlikely in the OP scenario as it was an official shelf edge label placed by Tesco in front of the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

doublej wrote: »
    The offence that is created is specific to the difference between the advertised price at the shelf edge label and the price of that product when scanned at the till.
    Both of these prices MUST be the same.

The store can refuse to sell the product to you but cannot mislead a person by using a different price to entice the purchase and charge a different price later.it is a misleading commercial practice and is prohibited under our Consumer Laws.
    The only defence that can be offered is if a third party( or the consumer) switched price labels on a product but this would be unlikely in the OP scenario as it was an official shelf edge label placed by Tesco in front of the product.

The defence used was that the SEL was out of date. It should have been removed but human error caused it to be left on the shelf. If it were the case that the SEL said the reduced price with no promotional end date and refused to sell at that price, then I would imagine there would be further to it.

Admittedly on those SELs the start and end dates are in a very small font an I find myself squinting to see them, but once the date is there they are covered for a certain amount of human errors given that promotional products can be in 2 or 3 different places in the store .

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

i thought that invitation to treat meant that in theory you could have any price beside a product, and then ask for a different price at the point of purchase.

is this not the case here?

An sel is not advertising, buy an a4 sign is, that would be my take on it.

The complaint is being made to the asai,, who cover advertisements.

well worth looking at the UK's trading standards rules on this issue.

I could see the complaint being upheld if this happened in the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

I work in Tesco as a customer assistant.

We have people in price integrity who come in very early each morning to do price changes. They literally have 1000s to SELs to change everyday.
    Sometimes they are only getting around to the latest price changes mid day and customers have came in early to shop before they are all done. Picking up products before the new SELs are in place.

We also have to drop whatever we are doing to help customers in the store which puts us under pressure to get our tasks done each day.

When we are packing we are told to keep a sharp eye on SELs but the fact is that some stores have over seventy-five thousand different products on sale. There is bound to be mistakes both human error and system error.
    We are also told that we are liable to fines by trading standards if SELs are not up to date and placed correctly under the product.

I sometimes wonder why the company does not simply keep prices low and the same instead of changing the price on everything often. These complaints I see here are mistakes and not done in purpose, but I believe a less complicated system would stop it from happening.
    I guess it is some type of marketing strategy to chop and change everything frequently .
    There is a policy in place where one is refunded the difference .

These views are my own and not Tescos by the way. Don't blame me . I'm not a representative . Just a simple shelf stacker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

I work in Tesco as a customer assistant.

We have people in price integrity who come in very early each morning to do price changes. They literally have 1000s to SELs to change everyday.
    Sometimes they are only getting around to the latest price changes mid day and customers have came in early to shop before they are all done. Picking up products before the new SELs are in place.

why dont they do them before they are advertised? QED. No one will complain if they get something cheaper early.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

why dont they do them before they are advertised? QED. No one will complain if they get something cheaper early.

I dont know but my guess is these labels cant be changed till the stores are finished being packed. Which is an all night long event. Every night.

AFAIK, prices change on the system around 5am, the person working to change all the SELS and promo signs works approx 8pm till 5am, so the majority of prices should be changed before the offer ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Two fine examples,Stella Cidre 4x500ml = 2 litres for €8.49 (€4.24/litre NOT €'16,98'/litre ) Linden is €2,50/litre NOT '€10,00/litre'
    and most of Tesco's labelling is misleading/confusing - more examples soon :mad: Why bother labelling if they're not good at maths :rolleyes:

Advertisement