Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on 3 night trip to New york?

Options
  • 19-10-2013 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

i am 23 but planning on heading to New york the 18th-22nd of Nov on my own. For those who have been there will it be safe to travel alone? And is 4 days/3 nights enough time to fit all in? My main priorities are rockafeller, Empire state building, central park, ground zero memorial, time sq and have a look at the shops.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

QueenBee1 wrote: »
    For those who have been there will it be safe to travel alone?

Yes.
    And is 4 days/3 nights enough time to fit all in?

Not 'all' of what there is but for what you want to do it should be enough to catch the main sights.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

Ponster wrote: »
    Yes.

Not 'all' of what there is but for what you want to do it should be enough to catch the main sights.

I know I won't see everything but the main highlights Central Park, some shopping, see some rooftop views ie Empire State, rockafeller and ground zero? I would be landing Monday lunch time and leaving JFK Thursday at 6pm back in Ireland Friday morning at 5/6 just to for myself enough time to get settled back in!? Also how Long roughly is it from JFK to city centre/manhattan?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Id recommend Radio City Music Hall tour its right across the road from rockerfella centre so you can do both on the same day its a really fab space with great history.
    Also take a ferry out to statue of liberty it doesnt tale long and you get great views of brooklyn bridge ferry stop is also walking distance to ground zero so you can do both on the same day.

Land Monday at lunch. Check in to the hotel and you'll be ready to go walking about by 3pm. Keep the jetlag at bay by staying up 'til at least 10pm and that gives you time to check out Time Square, Rockerfeller, St. Patrick's Cathedral, all of which are close to each other.
    Tuesday you can check out Central Park. Yes to see all of it you'd need almost a whole day but that's a lot of walking and most people just go as far as the lake and then directly across to either the Natural History museum (free) or the the Met. Catch a cab to downtown and see Ground Zero (free entry I think $2 admin fee - reserve tickets online) and go shopping in Century 21 if you're looking for outlet-type prices in Manhattan.

The ferry is a great offer seeing as it's free but if you have the time the 1.5 hour Circle cruise takes you right around the island and offers great views.

Land Monday at lunch. Check in to the hotel and you'll be ready to go walking about by 3pm. Keep the jetlag at bay by staying up 'til at least 10pm and that gives you time to check out Time Square, Rockerfeller, St. Patrick's Cathedral, all of which are close to each other.
    Tuesday you can check out Central Park. Yes to see all of it you'd need almost a whole day but that's a lot of walking and most people just go as far as the lake and then directly across to either the Natural History museum (free) or the the Met. Catch a cab to downtown and see Ground Zero (free entry I think $2 admin fee - reserve tickets online) and go shopping in Century 21 if you're looking for outlet-type prices in Manhattan.

The ferry is a great offer seeing as it's free but if you have the time the 1.5 hour Circle cruise takes you right around the island and offers great views.

Thank you this is great information! Also how would I go about seeing Brooklyn bridge at night? Is there a ferry or can you walk a promenade?

• Advertisement

Thank you this is great information! Also how would I go about seeing Brooklyn bridge at night? Is there a ferry or can you walk a promenade?

You can walk right across it. Maybe about 20 minutes and you walk above the traffic so you only have to look out for bikes. If you planned it right and depending on what you wanted to purchase in terms of shopping the stores in Brooklyn and often a lot less expensive than Manhattan.

You can walk right across it. Maybe about 20 minutes and you walk above the traffic so you only have to look out for bikes. If you planned it right and depending on what you wanted to purchase in terms of shopping the stores in Brooklyn and often a lot less expensive than Manhattan.

Thank you so much for all your help this is great information. I have just booked my flights with aer lingus so I'm all excited now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you're buying gadgets/electronics in NYC, stick to the well known shops like Radio Shack, Apple, Best Buy etc. Avoid the indie shops in Manhattan, they usually oversell the features (i.e. tell a pack of lies), often sell old models while claiming that they're the latest version and they may fob you off with a device that will not work in Europe (110V only). Most of the reputable electrical and gadget shops in Manhattan sell devices that are dual-voltage (110-240V) so you won't have a problem when you come home, other than that you may need a cheap travel adapter. If in doubt, say you want the 'international' version of a device where there is a mains adapter involved.

Even if you don't intend buying anything, visit the Apple Store (glass cube) at the top of 5th Ave., not far up from St. Patrick's Cathedral.

Bring your best pair of shoes, you will do a lot of walking and buy a Metrocard from a machine in a subway station, works similar to the Leap card here.

The taxi fare from JFK to Manhattan is fixed so you don't have to worry about the meter or the route the driver takes.

Don't forget the ESTA approval, get your passport and credit card ready and do it on the official site......

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Thank you for your information I am looking forward to seeing the apple store alright it looks class! I have no intention of clothes shopping though I have heard clothes in USA are awful!!!

I havent heard of the ESTA though what is this about?

I havent heard of the ESTA though what is this about?

It's a pre-approval which is mandatory for people from countries in the visa-waiver system. You cannot present yourself at a point of entry (which would include the pre-clearance facilities at Dublin and Shannon) without getting ESTA approval in advance.

It costs 14 dollars and takes a couple of minutes, the approval lasts two years or when your passport expires, whichever comes first. Get your passport and credit card and click on that link above, you should be approved on the spot. No need to print anything or write down the approval number, the agent in Dublin or Shannon will be able to retrieve your approval using your passport number.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    It's a pre-approval which is mandatory for people from countries in the visa-waiver system. You cannot present yourself at a point of entry (which would include the pre-clearance facilities at Dublin and Shannon) without getting ESTA approval in advance.

It costs 14 dollars and takes a couple of minutes, the approval lasts two years or when your passport expires, whichever comes first. Get your passport and credit card and click on that link above, you should be approved on the spot. No need to print anything or write down the approval number, the agent in Dublin or Shannon will be able to retrieve your approval using your passport number.

Thank you so much for this you are a life saver I didnt have a clue such a thing existed! I thought "visa waiver" meant Irish were ok! could ya imagine if I rocked up the airport only to be turned back! :O I have it done now and it said it was approved. thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭marob1969

i am 23 but planning on heading to New york the 18th-22nd of Nov on my own. For those who have been there will it be safe to travel alone? And is 4 days/3 nights enough time to fit all in? My main priorities are rockafeller, Empire state building, central park, ground zero memorial, time sq and have a look at the shops.

I would love to hear how you got on. We are travelling 7th-11th Dec and would like to hear your feedback. Also, you might let me know what the weather was like to help with the choice of clothing!.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thank you for your information I am looking forward to seeing the apple store alright it looks class! I have no intention of clothes shopping though I have heard clothes in USA are awful!!!

Who on earth told you that? America has the exact same designer gear that the rest of the world has. In fact, it has a whole lot more. And it's a good deal cheaper over there than it is here. Of course it has the cheap, rubbishy clothes shops that Ireland has too, but to say that all the clothes in the USA are awful is a bit silly. If you aren't into going clothes shopping on your holliers, fair enough, but a lot of people are, and brilliant deals can be had.

marob1969 wrote: »
    I would love to hear how you got on. We are travelling 7th-11th Dec and would like to hear your feedback. Also, you might let me know what the weather was like to help with the choice of clothing!.

OP is there two/three weeks before you, I wouldn't set any store by her experiences in terms of weather. I was there for Thanksgiving in 2002 (cops in short sleeve shirts), 2007 (bitterly cold, snow flurries), and 2011 (cool but dry and sunny).

It's likely to be cold in early December but I'd check the weather forecast a couple of days before you travel and don't plan what to wear based on what the weather was like two weeks previously when the OP is there, it will mean absolutely nothing. Weather on the east coast is far more variable than here, a cold wind from Canada can send the mercury plunging in a matter of hours.

marob1969 wrote: »

Ah your going just at the right time when it will be all Christmassy :) I will of course no problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

You should definitely walk across the Brooklyn Bridge but I would do it around lunchtime and have lunch at Grimaldis. It's a famous pizza restaurant in Brooklyn that's well worth a visit for top class New York pizza. You can get the subway back to Manhattan if you over indulge.

Also don't miss Grand Central Station. It's one of my favorite places in NY

Get to know the subway. It's a great way of getting around and perfectly safe by day at least.

Natural history museam well worth a visit while near Central Park.

Definitely don't dismiss the clothes although I always thought the shopping was better for men than ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭marob1969

OP is there two/three weeks before you, I wouldn't set any store by her experiences in terms of weather. I was there for Thanksgiving in 2002 (cops in short sleeve shirts), 2007 (bitterly cold, snow flurries), and 2011 (cool but dry and sunny).

It's likely to be cold in early December but I'd check the weather forecast a couple of days before you travel and don't plan what to wear based on what the weather was like two weeks previously when the OP is there, it will mean absolutely nothing. Weather on the east coast is far more variable than here, a cold wind from Canada can send the mercury plunging in a matter of hours.

Thanks appreciate the feedback. Will look up in the week beforehand. Hopefully, it will be not too cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I'm going over on Saturday, second time going.

I'll let you know how we get on!

Can't wait!

I'm going over on Saturday, second time going.

I'll let you know how we get on!

Can't wait!

Have a great time looking forward to hear how you get in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Arrived back to Dublin this morning, had a great time.

We had the full week so went to DC for a couple of nights, what a historical city!

Anyway back to NYC, Sunday was spent shopping in Woodbury Common, got back on the 2pm bus which meant we were able to head to all the dept store in Manhattan when we got back.

Monday morning we went to the Intrepid Museum, took a trip up to the Top of the Rock which I preferred to the Empire State Building. We took in a show that evening.

Tuesday morning we went to the 9/11 memorial, walked down to Wall st. and over the Brooklyn Bridge, we came back through China town and Little Italy where we got a great lunch in Cassa Bella. We continued on up through Soho and Greenwich Village and got the subway up to 57th st.

Wednesday and Thursday were spent in DC.

Friday morning we took in the Natural History Museum, great exhibits. We went through Central Park and went up to Belvedere Castle. Friday night we went to see Annie(another show!!!!)

Saturday morning we went to the Museum of Modern Art before heading back to JFK!

Few tips!
    If you plan on seeing a show, the tkts booth on Times Sq which sell same day discounted tickets opens at 3pm. We started queueing about 2:15 and were sorted by about 3:20 both days.

The waiting time for top of the rock was an hour, so you could maybe get your ticket for that and visit a shop or two!

I finally took the time to work out the subway! very easy once you get used to it!

I hope I haven't rambled on there, if you want advice on anything in particular then just ask!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Chisler2

Like any other major city in the world you are safe enough in NY if you keep to the main thoroughfares and avoid neighbourhoods which are identified as 'dodgy' in terms of drug-dealing or poverty, where a tourist with camera (and obviously with cash) would be provocative.

With such a short time you might do well to book yourself onto a NY City Tour Bus (owned and run by Stagecoach I believe). The guides are unremunerated Docents and most are brilliant.........in love with their city and doing it for the fun of it and the tips very satisfied customers give on the way off. It's a step-on-step-off system (which means you can get off the tour-bus you are on, spend an hour at a particular church or attraction, then get onto the next bus that comes along............they are very frequent) so you can get an overall 'mental map' of what is a very complex city, then return on foot to those areas you want to explore further.

Macey's Fifth Avenue offer a generous discount on purchases if you show your airline ticket and passport.

I envy you...........I was a 'first-timer' to NY just a few years ago and was blown away by it! Enjoy yourself.:)

Chisler2 wrote: »
    Like any other major city in the world you are safe enough in NY if you keep to the main thoroughfares and avoid neighbourhoods which are identified as 'dodgy' in terms of drug-dealing or poverty, where a tourist with camera (and obviously with cash) would be provocative.

With such a short time you might do well to book yourself onto a NY City Tour Bus (owned and run by Stagecoach I believe). The guides are unremunerated Docents and most are brilliant.........in love with their city and doing it for the fun of it and the tips very satisfied customers give on the way off. It's a step-on-step-off system (which means you can get off the tour-bus you are on, spend an hour at a particular church or attraction, then get onto the next bus that comes along............they are very frequent) so you can get an overall 'mental map' of what is a very complex city, then return on foot to those areas you want to explore further.

Macey's Fifth Avenue offer a generous discount on purchases if you show your airline ticket and passport.

I envy you...........I was a 'first-timer' to NY just a few years ago and was blown away by it! Enjoy yourself.:)

Thank you chiseler! I will give a full report when I get back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Please don't take a taxi from the airport. The AirTrain and Subway are so easy. And you'll save yourself the best part of $60. Taxi is set from JFK to Manhattan but with tolls and tips you're talking $70. I travel to new york a lot and haven't taken a taxi in years. I'm mostly on my own too. I'm female and I have never felt unsafe in new york, but as has been said, just be sensible as you would be in any large city.

Locating the AirTrain is even easier now since Aer Lingus moved to Terminal 5. It's upstairs and really well signposted. It'll cost you $7.50 ($5 for the airtrain and $2.50 for the subway) into Manhattan. You pay for the airtrain as you exit because it's free around the actual airport. If you tell me exactly where you are going (you can PM me if you don't want to post here) I can tell you which route to take into the city. I was staying in Midtown East the last time I was there (just back a week) and I took the E train into the city, which was handiest for me. You can take the LIRR (faster but more expensive) into Penn and get another train from there (if needed), really depends on where you are going.

You won't get to see everything in that short length of time. I'm going years and still finding stuff, but you can cover a good few of the main touristy things. I'm just back from 6 weeks there and sure I still have stuff I never got to see, but I got to see a lot!

I know lots of Irish love heading out to Woodbury Common and Jersey Gardens but I've never been bothered with them. You'll get some great deals around the city too. There is no tax on clothes and footwear under $110 dollars in the city, so that's always a plus. Head down to Soho, few nice shops around here. Obviously if you go to Macys, make sure you get your visitors discount card which gives you 10% off your purchases. You'll need your passport for that.

Edit. Oh and leave yourself some time to wander. Some of the best places, that I love now, where found by wandering around!!

shinny wrote: »
    Please don't take a taxi from the airport. The AirTrain and Subway are so easy. And you'll save yourself the best part of $60. Taxi is set from JFK to Manhattan but with tolls and tips you're talking $70. I travel to new york a lot and haven't taken a taxi in years. I'm mostly on my own too. I'm female and I have never felt unsafe in new york, but as has been said, just be sensible as you would be in any large city.

With you all the way on the LIRR and subway option but your economic case fails based on 'I'm mostly on my own'.

Arriving into JFK and trying to sell the LIRR & subway option to a bunch of family or friends who are mad keen to get to the hotel in Manhattan ASAP is to risk being branded as a penny-pinching control freak, just don't do it.

I typically go with the flow and muck in with the gang in the taxi when we arrive and then go solo and get the subway and LIRR to JFK on the way home.

The OP is traveling on her own. She won't get to benefit from any savings from sharing a taxi with others, nor does she have to be respectful of what others what to do, so she can suit herself really.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 livers

Hi, heading to New York on thanksgiving day. Is it worth going to Jersey gardens the day after Black Friday or is there just as good sales in Manhattan ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SophieJo

Hey, I was there for 3 days alone, because I was waiting for my boyfriend to fly in. As a 20 years old girl (I was 19, when I was there) I'd suggest you to not walk around a lot after sunset, when you don't know the city. It's just my rule of thumb. Wake up early, spend the day outside and head to the hotel on the late afternoon, you'll be already exhausted. I booked my hotel here . It was relatively cheap, relatively, because nothing is actually cheap in NYC. I can't say a lot about eating out, because I was trying to be somehow frugal and ate mostly sandwiches and shopped at the supermarket. Have a nice stay there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

With you all the way on the LIRR and subway option but your economic case fails based on 'I'm mostly on my own'.

Arriving into JFK and trying to sell the LIRR & subway option to a bunch of family or friends who are mad keen to get to the hotel in Manhattan ASAP is to risk being branded as a penny-pinching control freak, just don't do it.

I typically go with the flow and muck in with the gang in the taxi when we arrive and then go solo and get the subway and LIRR to JFK on the way home.

The OP is travelling on her own hence the suggestion. Obviously if there are 3 or 4 people then it's probably worth while taking a taxi, split it out. But then there was no need to point that out, as she is travelling solo.

SophieJo wrote: »
    Hey, I was there for 3 days alone, because I was waiting for my boyfriend to fly in. As a 20 years old girl (I was 19, when I was there) I'd suggest you to not walk around a lot after sunset, when you don't know the city. It's just my rule of thumb. Wake up early, spend the day outside and head to the hotel on the late afternoon, you'll be already exhausted. I booked my hotel here . It was relatively cheap, relatively, because nothing is actually cheap in NYC. I can't say a lot about eating out, because I was trying to be somehow frugal and ate mostly sandwiches and shopped at the supermarket. Have a nice stay there!

I think that advise is a wee bit over the top. The OP is going to New York to have a good time and to enjoy and experience all that the city has to offer at Christmas time. Holing yourself up in your hotel room all evening long & not venturing out after 5pm, is stupidly over cautious. It also defeats the entire purpose of going there at this time of year, when the city is at its busiest and looking its best for Christmas.

With all due respect, you were a teenager all alone in the big bad, city. You were probably right to play it safe. As far as we know, the OP is a grown up adult. New York City, especially in the evening, is at its best at this time of year when all the Xmas light and decorations are on display, and all the Xmas hustle and bustle is going on.

It would be a crying shame if the OP traveled all that far, only to hole themselves up in their hotel room from 4pm onwards & miss out on all the wonders of NYC in December after dark. This time of year is the busiest time of year for NY tourism. Unless she strays very, very much off the beaten track, every where that she goes is always going to be very, very heavily populated and she won't have to worry about a thing when it comes to her safety and security.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Take the airtrain unless you have lots of luggage.

Don't lock yourself up at night. That's ridiculous. Your in the city of dreams. Dreams happen at night.

Just don't go anywhere above 120th street.

Avoid eye contact.

Do not stare ever. If you see something utterly ridiculous is crazy looking on the subway, pretend it's not there. Even if someone is masterbating behind a newspaper. Ignore.

The Met and Museum of Natural History are recommended donations. You can volunteer paying what you like, even if it's .05 cents, thanks to the New York City tax payer picking up the tab, and their numerous benefactors.

Don't stare up at the buildings while walking at an ineffective pace dawdling like a tourist. It will earn you a lot of abuse.

Taxis. When the light on top of the roof is on, it's available. When it's off its unavailable.

Advertisement