Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on 3 night trip to New york?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Any advice on where to get cheap tickets for Dublin to NY for next month?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Just back from NY
    probably the safest city I've ever been in. cops everywhere.
    never ever once felt unsafe.

subway, buses, metro, uptown, downtown, midtown

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭marob1969

QueenBee1 wrote: »
    Ah your going just at the right time when it will be all Christmassy :) I will of course no problem!

How was your trip and how did you get on. Any advice for someone travelling in the next couple of weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I went for Christmas 2011 up to New Years Day.

My best bit of advice is to get up very early because queues were much longer.

Also, Manhattan is great to go wandering at night time at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭naughtyfox

Hi all I just want to recommend the nycairporter as a really handy way from all the airports into grand central or penn station and relatively cheap around 30$ return.
    If using the subway for the week make sure to get one of the week long passes really saves money.

• Advertisement

There are 3 of us traveling from JFK to midtown so that would be €89 return.

How much would a cab be? We would have 3 suitcases?

I am hoping to do the Empire state but some say that the Rock is better, what you think.

nudger wrote: »

I am hoping to do the Empire state but some say that the Rock is better, what you think.

I've done both.

I preferred the Rock. Mainly because you still have an excellent view but you get the Empire State in your photos and the crowd seemed to be a bit smaller which meant we got up quicker.

I've done both.

I preferred the Rock. Mainly because you still have an excellent view but you get the Empire State in your photos and the crowd seemed to be a bit smaller which meant we got up quicker.

Was up the ESB years ago as a kid and I don't remember Queues, how long do you think the wait might be this time of year, well in a months time, for either of them and what is the best way of getting tickets, in advance or somewhere close by on the day.

Was up the ESB years ago as a kid and I don't remember Queues, how long do you think the wait might be this time of year, well in a months time, for either of them and what is the best way of getting tickets, in advance or somewhere close by on the day.

I went up the ESB at Christmas time in 2011. Between security etc it was about 2 and a half/3 hours getting up.

We went up the Rock at Hallowe'en midterm. We bought tickets in the building and you get a time on your ticket. It was an hour and 15 wait for us so we went off for a walk and got a couple of bits and pieces. When we came back at that time it was about half an hour wait to go up with security. Think we paid $25 to go up.

Also, while waiting the Rock have a video show telling you all about the history of the place, which was nice.

I remember the ESB was a lot of standing around!

We did the rock during the day and the empire state very late at night as our hotel was near by! It was so nice to not only get two different views but to see the city lit up at night plus we were the only two there so no waiting around.

• Advertisement

naughtyfox wrote: »
    We did the rock during the day and the empire state very late at night as our hotel was near by! It was so nice to not only get two different views but to see the city lit up at night plus we were the only two there so no waiting around.

We are very close (Park ave)to the ESB so could do the night visit, what time did you do it at and was it really that quite?

I hate waiting in queues so have you any other tips like that.

Kinda stupid question but I wan't to try to do the whole NY thing and having hot dogs and pretzels while walking around would be on the list, are they safe enough to buy from the street vendors health wise, don't want a dose of the yellow two step while on hols.

Do you know is the staten island ferry very busy all day or is it easy to get on, not going to do a cruise just the ferry, it's free ASAIK.

To be honest we visited the empire state around midnight after a baseball game and a long dinner, we had no waiting just got our tickets and off we went, the only people we spoke to were the security guys and that was about basball!

Staten island ferry is great its totally free and hardly no wait time, you may not always make the first one but the wait time is usually less than twenty minutes just dont go around peak times. Great view of the statue of liberty and world trade center.

I have eaten from many food carts on the street and havent been sick, even have the best juice from one outside the supreme court, make sure the cart is clean most will be but this is the one time seeing people waiting is good. Take some motilium and immodium just in case.

For to avoid waiting dont go to places eg top of the rock just as they open as thats almost there busiest or so I found. Another nice thing to do is the 9/11 memorial, we got our tickets and had a wait time of half an hour which gave us a chance to walk there whilst looking around. If you have any questions ask away..

Definitely go to one of the food carts, we got a lamb curry thing with rice(that's as technical as I get with food titles), it was unbelievably nice.

Book your 9/11 memorial tickets in advance if you can, but don't bring a massive backpack down as I don't think they are allowed in.

I recommend going to a show also, you'll get great prices for same day shows at the tkts booth on Times Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Definitely go to one of the food carts, we got a lamb curry thing with rice(that's as technical as I get with food titles), it was unbelievably nice.

Book your 9/11 memorial tickets in advance if you can, but don't bring a massive backpack down as I don't think they are allowed in.

I recommend going to a show also, you'll get great prices for same day shows at the tkts booth on Times Square.

The lamb curry thing is a gyro. Quality!

I was down at the 9/11 memorial in June and there were no queues. Then again I found my ticket!

Has anyone used or have any reviews of dial 7 or Groundlink car services in NYC.

The bus costs $90 return for the 3 of us but we are leaving early on the last day so no service.

A taxi is about $50 + toles + tips so about $70 each way.

The car service is $57-$65 for luxury car which would be a nice start to the trip and they say you don't need to tip. :rolleyes:

They give you a code and you text them when you have your bags to organize where to meet up.

Any ideas guys.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

What about the subway? $7.50 each

Ponster wrote: »
    What about the subway? $7.50 each

How easy is it to access from JFK terminal 5 going to 28st station on the green line (6) park ave?

It looks like we would have to hop on hop off a bit?

How easy is it to access from JFK terminal 5 going to 28st station on the green line (6) park ave?

It looks like we would have to hop on hop off a bit?

It's pretty handy actually. You take the Airtrain from the airport and at the end hop onto the Long Island train to Penn Station on 31st street. Takes about 45 minutes in total but is $9.50 each for the trip.

IMHO if this is your first time to NTC then take a cab. That way you know how much it costs with the fixed fare. You don't have to take a route that involves tolls. Take the train back to the airport when you're feeling more comfortable with the city.

Use Google Maps to get train/subway times and directions.

http://goo.gl/maps/bmBjT

I was there once before when I was a kid but I may as well say it's my first time.

As it's our first time, don't want the family's first impressions to be pulling luggage around on trains so will definitely be getting a car, just thought it would be nice to have a town car rather than a cab.

It's about the same price from both companies I mentioned just wondered had anyone used this service before, seems simple, book on line and when you have collected your luggage text the driver and he meets you, no queueing for cabs.

Never used either (I live in Brooklyn and use Eastern Car service or more often Uber which is a smartphone app service mostly used by residents) but dial 7 are very well known and I often see their ads on tv and their cars flying around. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks, think I'll go with Dial 7, an extra $5 over a cab and travel in style.:)

I'm traveling on new years eve, get in around 1pm, what's it like around Time square on the night, we'er heading up obviously, do you need to go early, is it too packed, might we not even get close?

Do the celebrations go on all night or do they finish in an hour or two?

Is Brooklyn worth a visit?:D Only joking, weather permitting we will do the bridge and take in the view but after that is there somewhere close you might recommend as a not to miss while we are there, maybe somewhere food wise, nothing formal, have a teen in the party, also markets, got to look after the girls.

I know, lots of questions but all help/tips appreciated.

Unlike the thread title we have a week.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

The AirTrain is great if you have ONE piece of luggage. Remember you have to negate subway stairs and sidewalks eventually.

More than one piece of luggage and get a yellow cab.

You can also get a black car but unless you are a savvy New Yorker who can haggle, stay clear.

The AirTrain is great if you have ONE piece of luggage. Remember you have to negate subway stairs and sidewalks eventually.

More than one piece of luggage and get a yellow cab.

No intention of taking public transport as our first steps in the US, we are on our holidays.

You can also get a black car but unless you are a savvy New Yorker who can haggle, stay clear.

But you can pre book, no money changes hand in the car other than tip + toles, cab is $52 + toles + tip, lux town car is $57 + toles + tip, average toles are quoted as $6.50 is this correct?

Have you heard bad stories, I'm well able to haggle or stand up for myself.

It's a set price so how can it go wrong?

I'm traveling on new years eve, get in around 1pm, what's it like around Time square on the night, we'er heading up obviously, do you need to go early, is it too packed, might we not even get close?

Personally I'd avoid it like the plague but I understand that if it's on your list of things to do then go ahead. It'll be very, very packed indeed but the worst bit is that once you are in you can't get back out past the police barriers past a certain time (10.30pm I think) and there's no place to go to the toilet while standing there. Even when the ball drops you're looking at another 20-30 minutes before you can get out to a bar where they'll gouge you for everything you have :)

You must work for the Time square tourist board, nice job:D, thanks for the heads up, do most hotels ring in the new year or do districts do things, we are close to madison square garden, anything around there?

Mr and Mrs nudger like a few drinks and with a teen age kid standing for 2-3 hours with no toilets or access to a drink would be a no no.

Avoid Times Square at all costs on NYE.

The crowds were bananas from very early in the morning, so you won't get near it to begin with! We chanced it but left the pens at 3:30 as the crowds were too crazy and in fairness, who wants to stand around and do nothing in NYC?

I remember we had trouble trying to get around that evening as well because Broadway was closed off the whole way up to Central Park.

Avoid Times Square at all costs on NYE.

The crowds were bananas from very early in the morning, so you won't get near it to begin with! We chanced it but left the pens at 3:30 as the crowds were too crazy and in fairness, who wants to stand around and do nothing in NYC?

I remember we had trouble trying to get around that evening as well because Broadway was closed off the whole way up to Central Park.

I avoid Times Square at anytime. Congested full of tourists who don't know ow to walk in quick pace.

Your teenage kid will be and not allowed in any drinking establishment, not even in the bar area of the hotel.

Without being nosey what did you do? Where did you go?

Like I said to Ponster are there parties in areas, do people spill out on to the street at midnight?

Like I said to Ponster are there parties in areas, do people spill out on to the street at midnight?

People do, New Yorkers don't. I wouldn't and never did. Usually house parties or stay at home.

However, this is something I would do if I were visiting and didn't know the next time I'd be there.

http://www.nightclub.com/ncb-newsletters/promo-power/a-new-year-s-eve-remember

The teenager can't go though.

• Advertisement

The streets will be packed all day!

We went for a walk up towards Central Park as it was our last evening. Most of the city was on lockdown that day.

We also went for a meal and most of the restaurants were full of families having quiet get togethers.

If you want any other advice/ ideas just ask!

Advertisement