Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on 3 night trip to New york?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

QueenBee1 wrote: »
    Thank you chiseler! I will give a full report when I get back :)

Hi QueenBee, how did you get on? Did you go to RadioCity? I am sure people here would be interested in how you got on.

I am also interested in hotel options. If possible decent enough size rooms for 2 adults and teenagers. We stayed in the Embassy Suites near WTC when we went before but got a particularly good price. It is a Conrad hotel now afaik and very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Only a few days to go now so getting excited, couple of questions.

Can you buy sim cards in JFK?

Hopefully we will do immigration in Dublin, how does that work?

So all going well, no delays, touchdown to out the door, would 1 hour cover it as have a car waiting?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

nudger wrote: »
    Only a few days to go now so getting excited, couple of questions.

Can you buy sim cards in JFK?

Not sure. I've never really noticed. You'll pick them up in most large pharmacy chains (Walgreens, Duane Reade, etc...)
    Hopefully we will do immigration in Dublin, how does that work?

Just like it would in the USA. You go past Irish security/customs and then you fill in your form with name, passport, number, etc... and get in line and wait to be called. It's so easy that you won't realise until you fly to the US from somewhere else in the world and realise that you may have up to 4.5 hours standing in line in JFK.
    So all going well, no delays, touchdown to out the door, would 1 hour cover it as have a car waiting?

Depends on where you're going but you'll be out of the place about 10 minutes after touchdown, then maybe 10/15 for your bags? I'd say 1.5 hours to be save as the trip into town will depend on traffic but wouldn't be less than 35 minutes.

Thanks Ponster

So you recon giving 1 hour from touch down, loo break and maybe a coffee would be plenty before getting the car.

Do services and shops work as normal on new years eve and day?

Are customs strict on purchases, not going to have 3 apple mac's in the case but will have clothes and bits and bobs.
    I will take off the tags but do you need to scrunch them up a bit or is this over kill?

Teen age daughter + birthday wife you know the cases will be bulging.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Thanks Ponster

So you recon giving 1 hour from touch down, loo break and maybe a coffee would be plenty before getting the car.

Do services and shops work as normal on new years eve and day?

Are customs strict on purchases, not going to have 3 apple mac's in the case but will have clothes and bits and bobs.
    I will take off the tags but do you need to scrunch them up a bit or is this over kill?

Teen age daughter + birthday wife you know the cases will be bulging.:)

Banks and government services closed New Years Day, so are most offices. Retail - I don't know, check the websites.

Too much money to be made for anything else to be closed.

I've never been stopped at customs.

• Advertisement

Hay claire, are you there at the mo, are you a local?

What's the weather like, we'er a hardy bunch but is there snow expected, should we bring sturdy boots?

If you wanted to pick up "winter clothes" cheep for getting around during the day if the weather turned bad where would you go?

Any views on using car services from JFK instead of taxi's, could you recommend a company, don't want to use public transport first thing in the big apple, with luggage.

Was going to use D... 7 but the reviews were poor, thinking about Carmellimo now, what you think?

We'er not back packers but would like bang for our buck.:)

Hay claire, are you there at the mo, are you a local?

What's the weather like, we'er a hardy bunch but is there snow expected, should we bring sturdy boots?

If you wanted to pick up "winter clothes" cheep for getting around during the day if the weather turned bad where would you go?

Any views on using car services from JFK instead of taxi's, could you recommend a company, don't want to use public transport first thing in the big apple, with luggage.

Was going to use D... 7 but the reviews were poor, thinking about Carmellimo now, what you think?

We'er not back packers but would like bang for our buck.:)

I use a yellow cab if I have too much luggage for the airtrain. Or get a black car for $40 into Manhattan.

Being American I have winter clothes so I don't pick them up cheap on the spot, I get them from the usual sources. Bring a winter coat, gloves, a scarf and a hat. And for boots or shoes, get a pair of totes, waterproof and cheap. Snow turns to slush pretty quickly in NYC and can also be very unpredictable. There are the usual department stores, then there are Patagonia, Columbia, Eddie Bauer, the usual. A lot of tourists go to Macys. I personally detest Macy's but to each their own.

If the weather got that bad and I was a tourist, I'd plop myself down in a hotel bar or if I were an Irish tourist head down to McSorleys.

And DO NOT take the subway past 120th street.

I use a yellow cab if I have too much luggage for the airtrain. Or get a black car for $40 into Manhattan.

Being American I have winter clothes so I don't pick them up cheap on the spot, I get them from the usual sources. Bring a winter coat, gloves, a scarf and a hat. And for boots or shoes, get a pair of totes, waterproof and cheap. Snow turns to slush pretty quickly in NYC and can also be very unpredictable. There are the usual department stores, then there are Patagonia, Columbia, Eddie Bauer, the usual. A lot of tourists go to Macys. I personally detest Macy's but to each their own.

If the weather got that bad and I was a tourist, I'd plop myself down in a hotel bar or if I were an Irish tourist head down to McSorleys.

Could you recommend a company or a way to get one?

McSorleys, where is it, not that I'm into Irish bars but maybe for one night.

Past 120th st AFAIK is Harlem, correct? is it that bad even during the day?
    Isn't one of the big shopping areas up that way, Woodbury common?

Just as a thing, in Dublin we have a lot of dodgy heads/drug users in the city center, how is NY these days, hear it's pretty ok.

Just as a thing, in Dublin we have a lot of dodgy heads/drug users in the city center, how is NY these days, hear it's pretty ok.

I get off the plane. I walk outside the terminal. I get a cab. You are over complicating this.

Dial 7 is a pretty reliable cab service.

McSorleys is in the East Village. An okay place. Been there once or twice. They serve their own beer but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there.

North of 120th is Harlem. Not a whole lot to see up that far really. St John the Divine on 114th and if you enjoy gothic architecture it's an excellent location to visit.

Woodbury Common is an hours drive from Times Square (60 miles?). It's no where near Manhattan. I suppose it's got some bargains but I've never understood it's popularity. Cloths are cheap there but most of the items were never in the stores in the first place. Companies produce cloths especially for the outlet stores. It's not like in Europe where we have rules as to what a 'sale' means. Go to Century 21 in downtown Manhattan and you'll get cheap prices yet still gain 1/2 a day on your holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

It's much better than Dublin. I live in Dublin but travel between NYC and Ireland quite a bit. I've never felt unsafe in NYC but in Dublin I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AnnaBooBoo

QueenBee1 wrote: »
    i am 23 but planning on heading to New york the 18th-22nd of Nov on my own. For those who have been there will it be safe to travel alone? And is 4 days/3 nights enough time to fit all in? My main priorities are rockafeller, Empire state building, central park, ground zero memorial, time sq and have a look at the shops.

Hey yes you will have a ball, it is a crazy lonely city on your own but theres just so many amazing things to do and since you're only going for a few days then you won't feel too lonely.

It will be safe enough but no one can guarantee someones safety considering fate etc. but just remember to keep valuables out of sight, as in don't stroll around with your ipad and iphone just out and about especially if you are on your own as you are a hot target you know. Just keep your wits about you, dont go to unknown places at night and try not to get subways late at night either.

I was in New york for 3 months last summer and was told by a lot of people that the top floor of rockafeller is the best for sightseeing the whole island as you actually get to have the empire state in your pictures.... if you go to the top of the empire state then you wont see that lol if that makes sense.

It is pretty busy so expect like at least over an hour of a queue at off peak times, I went to rockefellar at 11pm at night and the queue was super long on a random night in June last year.

Central park is huge! theres many subways you can get to different entrances but just stick to the usual spots there like the big fountain from friends and the bridge in home alone etc you would get central park, shopping and ground zero in one day if you set off super early :D

ground zero was a great accomplishment to see, you just donate a few dollars and you get a ticket, I went on a random afternoon in May and there was no queue, you can stay in the site as long as you want but you do get an overwhelmingly sad feeling while there :(

have a great trip and I hoped I helped! :D

Good morning from the big apple.

Don't know if it is being covered in the media but the weather is bad here at the mo, started snowing Thursday into Friday about a foot and the temperature is around -10.

We done the Rock, great view, about 1 hour wait so went off for a few pints and came back at our time on the tickets, $27 a head.

Done ground zero, very heavy on the security, had to do the full airport strip twice which was a bit of a pain due to the weather, takes about an hour and a half in a queue out side so wrap up well.

We are very central so are walking to most things, got the subway to the brooklyn bridge as it is down the bottom of manhattan $2.70 each way.

As an over view of the city so far, nothing but nice people, this idea of new yorkers being a bit rude ,in a hurry is crap, maybe I've been lucky but have not met one junkie, asshole, or anyone looking for trouble.

Sure there are some homeless about Grand central station, the odd one you meet on the street that might ask for some money but compared to Dublin these guy's have manners and a bit of style to them, I'm happy to give a bit to them.

Little Italy, Soho, and China town on the cards today if the streets are not too bad, if they are it's Macy's sale :(, bag carrying and following the girls.

Done ground zero, very heavy on the security, had to do the full airport strip twice which was a bit of a pain due to the weather, takes about an hour and a half in a queue out side so wrap up well.

A tip is to purchase the tickets online, print at the hotel and you'll bypass almost all of the queue and walk directly to the indoors security area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Don't know if it is being covered in the media but the weather is bad here at the mo, started snowing Thursday into Friday about a foot and the temperature is around -10.

Its getting coverage all right, Its a huge Storm and stretches all the way back into the midwest so there's a good week still to go.

New York can be beautiful in the snow though.

Ponster wrote: »
    A tip is to purchase the tickets online, print at the hotel and you'll bypass almost all of the queue and walk directly to the indoors security area.

Kinda think that depends on the way the staff work the queues, I saw a guy with a Leinster rugby hoodie in the queue, he had the print out and went into the zig zag queue while we had to go into the big queue, ended up getting in at the same time.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Its getting coverage all right, Its a huge Storm and stretches all the way back into the midwest so there's a good week still to go.

New York can be beautiful in the snow though.

It's much better here now, still cold but the amount of workers clearing the snow is very impressive.

Done China town, little Italy, and Soho, China town is gas the way all the street people are selling the knock off stuff, watches, bags, we were brought into a shop, then down stairs to the basement where others were shopping, OH was after a Michael Kors bag, started at $90 then $75 then $50 so I took out a $20 and started to walk away, deal.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Make sure you do see a broadway show while you're here. Also I was down there last night and caught a cool 2-3 minute video/light show when we were passing by at Saks on 5th Ave across from Rockefeller center. Also go to Ellen's Stardust Diner near Times Sq, sure it's touristy but the waitresses start jumping on the table and sing songs, it's good fun.

Make sure you do see a broadway show while you're here. Also I was down there last night and caught a cool 2-3 minute video/light show when we were passing by at Saks on 5th Ave across from Rockefeller center. Also go to Ellen's Stardust Diner near Times Sq, sure it's touristy but the waitresses start jumping on the table and sing songs, it's good fun.

Not interested in shows, too long in the business but was in Saks yesterday and Macy's, girls filled the bags, then we went to blue smoke, food and atmosphere was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

There's another storm coming in late tomorrow and lasting through Tuesday. Weather reports are saying coldest temperatures in twenty years.

When do you fly home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Must be a long time since you were there.

I used to live on 126th street years ago and never had one problem. Anything beyond 140 would be ropey alright.

Bring your passport into Macy's and you should get a discount.

I would disagree with an earlier post about it being lonely if you go on your own. I have found it the complete opposite due to the huge range of friendly characters you encounter!

InTheTrees wrote: »
    There's another storm coming in late tomorrow and lasting through Tuesday. Weather reports are saying coldest temperatures in twenty years.

When do you fly home?

Just home, thanks for the warning, we were watching the reports to be sure.

MT C had given us the heads up in the weather form, there were only 3 flights out of JFK last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Arrived back to Dublin this morning, had a great time.

We had the full week so went to DC for a couple of nights, what a historical city!

Anyway back to NYC, Sunday was spent shopping in Woodbury Common, got back on the 2pm bus which meant we were able to head to all the dept store in Manhattan when we got back.

Monday morning we went to the Intrepid Museum, took a trip up to the Top of the Rock which I preferred to the Empire State Building. We took in a show that evening.

Tuesday morning we went to the 9/11 memorial, walked down to Wall st. and over the Brooklyn Bridge, we came back through China town and Little Italy where we got a great lunch in Cassa Bella. We continued on up through Soho and Greenwich Village and got the subway up to 57th st.

Wednesday and Thursday were spent in DC.

Friday morning we took in the Natural History Museum, great exhibits. We went through Central Park and went up to Belvedere Castle. Friday night we went to see Annie(another show!!!!)

Saturday morning we went to the Museum of Modern Art before heading back to JFK!

Few tips!
    If you plan on seeing a show, the tkts booth on Times Sq which sell same day discounted tickets opens at 3pm. We started queueing about 2:15 and were sorted by about 3:20 both days.

The waiting time for top of the rock was an hour, so you could maybe get your ticket for that and visit a shop or two!

I finally took the time to work out the subway! very easy once you get used to it!

I hope I haven't rambled on there, if you want advice on anything in particular then just ask!!!!!

I agree the view from The Top of The Rock is much, much better than that from the top of the Empire State Building!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Good morning from the big apple.

We done the Rock, great view, about 1 hour wait so went off for a few pints and came back at our time on the tickets, $27 a head.

We are very central so are walking to most things, got the subway to the brooklyn bridge as it is down the bottom of manhattan $2.70 each way.

As an over view of the city so far, nothing but nice people, this idea of new yorkers being a bit rude ,in a hurry is crap, maybe I've been lucky but have not met one junkie, asshole, or anyone looking for trouble.

Sure there are some homeless about Grand central station, the odd one you meet on the street that might ask for some money but compared to Dublin these guy's have manners and a bit of style to them, I'm happy to give a bit to them.

Little Italy, Soho, and China town on the cards today if the streets are not too bad, if they are it's Macy's sale :(, bag carrying and following the girls.

Delighted you're enjoying your visit. Sounds like the NYC I know and love! Guess you have happened on the underground concourse at Rockefeller Centre? Get the 'phonebox' lift near the ice rink to bring you underground. I love getting my Starbucks and blueberry muffin and sitting at one of the window tables as I observe all the ice skaters. :) Lots of shops there - you can also access the concourse through Banana Republic just across from St. Patrick's Cathedral. Once again, just get the lift to the lower level. Enjoy the rest of your stay!! :)

Edit: Just saw you're home! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Im not planning on going myself for another year but at least i can pick up some tips here :-) Great thread!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Just home, thanks for the warning, we were watching the reports to be sure.

MT C had given us the heads up in the weather form, there were only 3 flights out of JFK last night.

Where did you stay nudger? Going to NY at end of Feb for 4nights/5 days and havent booked anything yet.

zefer wrote: »
    Where did you stay nudger? Going to NY at end of Feb for 4nights/5 days and havent booked anything yet.

We stayed in a small boutique hotel, Park South Hotel (150 rooms) on E28th street just off Park avenue, couldn't fault it.

7 nights €1200 for a triple room, breakfast included.

Got to know the staff well as it's a small hotel, very helpful.

Subway 1 minute away, Empire state, 5 minutes walk away, Time sq 15 minutes, Central park 25 minutes or $10 in a cab.

Didn't have the high view which would have been nice but didn't miss it.

We stayed in a small boutique hotel, Park South Hotel (150 rooms) on E28th street just off Park avenue, couldn't fault it.

Stayed there myself for a week in 2012. As you said, couldn't fault it and a very friendly, welcoming hotel. Nice bar, good breakfast and safe neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Myself, my wife and 2 kids stayed in the Country Inn & Suites, Long Island City in Queens last November. Hotel was grand, breakfast included, we got a family room for 4 nights for €575. Great location, 5 minutes walk to 3 different subway stations on different lines, Times Square only 15 minutes ride away.

We had a fantastic trip, the legs were walked off us, mind you the 7-day subway pass was invaluable. Highlights were the Staten Island ferry, walking across the Brooklyn Bridge (from the Brooklyn side), Top of the Rock, ice skating in Bryant Park, 9/11 memorial, Intrepid museum (fantastic!), Museum of Natural History, Central Park, Times Square (at night), IMAX cinema in Lincoln Square. We too weren't that impressed by Macy's (basically a very large Debenham's), preferred JC Penneys in the mall nearby Macy's. Also went to TJ Maxx and Century 21 for the bargains.

We also got to see the New York marathon while we were there. Street food was great and really convenient. We also didn't bother with a show, couldn't fit it in, maybe next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ladiee24

OP how did your trip go planning on myself for later this year for my 30th.

Which is 2 days before thanksgiving so not sure to go at the beginning of November instead I'd kinda love to see all the Christmasy stuff too!! Other local boardies would you recommend this time of year? Thinking of a 5 day stay & I'm probably going to be staying with some friends in Yonkers.

Advertisement