Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Safety Razor Shaving Questions

• 19-10-2013 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

I started using a closed comb razor about a year ago, after getting advice here I went for the Muhle R89 Classic Razor. At the time I got a starter pack of blades and used various different ones until I found a blade I liked. I ended up settling on Astra blades. The feathers gave me the closest shave but I found my skin was getting irritated after using them.

I'm wondering if there's anything I can that might get me a slightly closer shave without irritating my skin. I'm going to give the Feather blades another try and see how they go. However, if I was to change to say a more aggressive razor would that make any difference? If I change to a more aggressive razor am I likely to suffer from irritation? What razor would you recommend?

I'm currently using Proraso shaving cream and also Proraso pre-shave.

Also, I find that I don't get the best shave around by neck, towards my adam's apple. Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭jpb1974

A few blades to consider ->

Personna Super Prep
    Polsiver Super Iridium
    Gillette 7 O'Clock Black (from India)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I often think we recommend proraso as a good cream starting out due to it's ease to lather rather than how good it is on the cushion front. I find other creams and soaps might be a had more difficult to lather but give much better protection and slickness during the shave.

Have a look at Cella http://thecloseshave.com/cella-crema-da-sopone-a-reivew/ which is available from shaving.ie and others. Consider also a soap or cream from Nanny's http://www.nannyssillysoap.com/ps/
    I fond both better.

Blade wise, JP already gave you some good advice above. Another worth looking at is the Personna med preps.
    Feathers are super sharp and worth it but the downside is the are an unforgiving bugger. A slip in concentration, sub par lather, hungover head,etc and they can leave skin feeling as if you shaved with a grater. I hated them at first but now use 90% of the time but only get two shaves per blade.

For the Adam's apple, lather as usual and when shaving the area make as if you are swallowing something - hold it mid swallow and shave the region. Zero pressure is key for this spot (otherwise shirt collars will irritate me post shave).

Razor : you could consider something more aggressive if looking for a closer shave. I think everyone should have at least one adjustable to play around with settings and blade exposure to see what suits you. Merkur Progress would be a good punt.

Advertisement