Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vertical coil build on a BCC (evod, protank etc)

Options
  • 19-10-2013 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Anyone heard of this ?

Looks interesting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

No but I did come across a horizontal nano coil in an evod / protank with a cotton wick in the middle. This is mad how its' a vertical nano coil with wick pack all around it on the outside. If it works it's a mad idea. The wick is on the outside! Whaooo maaan I'm freakin out man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

The horizontal nano coil works great in a pro tank, I'd highly recommend it. Was that riptripper's video?

Saw another vid where a guy set up an RSST with a nano coil sitting on top of a thin layer of cotton placed across the wick hole, can't get much simpler than that. Same idea as the vertical one except the wick is below the coil only. You have to tilt to vape but it seemed to work well.

Yip Ricky it was riptrippers video. I only discovered that guy recently. His videos are kinda mad, I reckon he'd be a full on guy to have a conversation with. His eyes always seem slightly glazey as well for some reason -.- but that's beside the point :D I like the way he cuts and edits his videos a lot and some good reviews and concepts too. Definitely getting myself a blow torch now so I can make my nano coils better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

StickyIcky wrote: »
    Yip Ricky it was riptrippers video. I only discovered that guy recently. His videos are kinda mad, I reckon he'd be a full on guy to have a conversation with. His eyes always seem slightly glazey as well for some reason -.- but that's beside the point :D I like the way he cuts and edits his videos a lot and some good reviews and concepts too. Definitely getting myself a blow torch now so I can make my nano coils better.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIoH-mOXKsc
    18 W !?

Jeepers!!:eek:

I like that guy. Good ol' southern drawl too :)

So... the Aspire BDC .. I really like the look of it and it seems like it's better than the protank and evod which would be my current eGo sized device.

Looking at the Aspire BDC on video reviews it looks like the bottom section has the same type of filler as cartomisers. So basically it looks like a tiny cartomiser with a clearomiser tank on top of it.

The vertical nano coil with the cotton wool wrapped around it looks similar to this really.

Any thoughts? Has anyone taken apart a BDC head yet and can see what's inside it? Basically I'm thinking the BDC would be awesome if it was rebuildable, but perhaps the EVOD with a vertical nano coil would be just as good? I'd have to wait till my blow torch arrives so I can make a nano coil and buy a BDC and compare side by side. That will probably happen in the next couple of weeks. Till then keen so see what ya'll think.

edit: actually I'm a twat, I found a video where PBsardo rips one apart, watching it now! teehehehehee!
    http://youtu.be/mCsiVa3e2Cc?t=22m11s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I just made a micro coil on an evod. I'm getting 5.3Ohms :eek:. That's 12 wraps on a coil and a bit of cotton for the wick. I followed Rip Trippers method.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Using what wire and what did you wrap the coil around?

It's .20 kanthal wire. So I suppose the gauge is wrong for starters, as in the video he used .28. What if I used fewer wraps?

start with 7-8 wraps mate and go from there, 12 is a big much for 0.2 kanthal :)

It'd be a fairly small coil, maybe 6/7 wrap? I'd use .25 minimum UNLESSsssssssSSssSsssssssssss....

Unless you twist the .20?

I mean... A microcoil isn't going to alter your resistance, so no matter how many turns every cm of .20 Kanthal is 0.43ohm... If you twist two 8cm strands of .20 tightly together you'd have a savage 1.6ohm strand to microcoil with, but your atty'll need a lot of space to fit that much wire.

Are you sure whatever you're coiling around is a tiny diameter? 5.3ohms for 12 wraps on a 1.5mm-or-less diameter sounds really really high, even with that resistance wire. Seems like it should be 2.5-3ohms...

Anyway, always cut the length of wire you need to spec, not based on subjective turns/wraps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

Pique wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIoH-mOXKsc
    18 W !?

Jeepers!!:eek:

I like that guy. Good ol' southern drawl too :)

A mad ol' fecker! I love his pink tweezers - well jel!

grindle wrote: »
    It'd be a fairly small coil, maybe 6/7 wrap? I'd use .25 minimum UNLESSsssssssSSssSsssssssssss....

Unless you twist the .20?

I mean... A microcoil isn't going to alter your resistance, so no matter how many turns every cm of .20 Kanthal is 0.43ohm... If you twist two 8cm strands of .20 tightly together you'd have a savage 1.6ohm strand to microcoil with, but your atty'll need a lot of space to fit that much wire.

Are you sure whatever you're coiling around is a tiny diameter? 5.3ohms for 12 wraps on a 1.5mm-or-less diameter sounds really really high, even with that resistance wire. Seems like it should be 2.5-3ohms...

Anyway, always cut the length of wire you need to spec, not based on subjective turns/wraps.

Ah I get it now. I just didn't understand the maths fully. I tried it again there and getting close now. I used one length (long enough to coil and fit through the evod atty) of 0.2mm with 7 wraps giving me 2.9 Ohms. So far it's looking good and producing a bit more vapour than my last effort.

I will try you're method with 2 8cm strands and see how well it works out. That's if I can get it to fit in the atty. I have a mini pro tank so I'll be trying it out on that soon too :).

I can't imagine it fitting in a clearo, and getting the grommet on over 2 legs as thick as .4mm will be a challenge. Abort, abort!

It was a bit fiddly but wasn't impossible. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

You need to use a syringe tip or a really small drillbit for pro tank coils, I can get 11 or 12 wraps to come out at ~1.7 ohms.

Tried the vertical method and it was a huge failure, just got gurgling. Looked perfect but maybe I had the coil sitting too low or something. I'm getting great results with riptripper's method so think I'll stick with that for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Chris Dolmeth

Hal1 wrote: »
    It's .20 kanthal wire. So I suppose the gauge is wrong for starters, as in the video he used .28. What if I used fewer wraps?
    Don't get mixed up between the 2 size standards.

He is using 28 gauge
    You are using 0.2 mm

They're not the same units. It's like metric Vs imperial.

This table shows the comparison.

28 gauge = 0.32mm
    32 gauge = 0.20mm

I already made that mistake when I bought some. I taught it was 28 gauge but in fact it's 20 gauge.

Advertisement