Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kanger Protank 2 - Dark liquid?

Options
  • 19-10-2013 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

I recently started on a kanger protank 2. Strangely, I'm seeing the liquid going quite dark within a day or 2 of changing coils.

- I'm new to the kanger, is there something I should be changing inside the tank, or is swapping coils all I need to do? (Using protank coils at the moment)
    - Should the liquid be going that dark colour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Heat can darken juices. I haven't found it with any Kanger types I use, but used to find it with gennies

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glicster

happens me but after a few days of use. i can only think that with the airy draw on the protank you could be taking pulls too quick in succession,the wick cant keep up and is burning up quicker and its,how can i say, discolouring the liquid by running back into the tank when the wick is full .
    i will say though that i get a nice taste off my "burnt juice" for awhile untill it gets too strong and i have to change coil.
    thats my take on what happens anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

glicster wrote: »
    happens me but after a few days of use. i can only think that with the airy draw on the protank you could be taking pulls too quick in succession,the wick cant keep up and is burning up quicker and its,how can i say, discolouring the liquid by running back into the tank when the wick is full .
    i will say though that i get a nice taste off my "burnt juice" for awhile untill it gets too strong and i have to change coil.
    thats my take on what happens anyway
    Now that you say this....You are right! I have noticed that the best taste I get is when the coils are "cooked"a little....???

I am trying to remember this but when cooking fat/oil the colour it turns when it reaches it's maxium flavour is a light to slightly dark brown, this contains a whole lot of the flavours we love about fried/roasted foods....too much heat and it turns black and tastes foul (Acrolein) There is a scientific term for this which evades me......

Gives a whole new meaning to "breaking in" period which we are all familiar with.

Maillard Reaction

Remembered it :) could this be playing a part in how we taste juices? Just throwing it out there to see. I know that being aware of it improved my cooking no end so no harm to know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glicster

well you have enlightened me there pal with the Millard Reaction.

my wife cooks pork rhind and the millard thing is well in play with it which we didnt know about... kinda gives us a better idea of how it all works now. cheers

as i said,theres a point when my juice is just gorgeous,just slightly cooked,and with juice and cooking ingredients slightly linked there might just be something to go on here?

i remember reading a post, here i think, about some guy put his juice in the micro for a few seconds so maybe,just maybe??

glicster wrote: »
    well you have enlightened me there pal with the Millard Reaction.

my wife cooks pork rhind and the millard thing is well in play with it which we didnt know about... kinda gives us a better idea of how it all works now. cheers

as i said,theres a point when my juice is just gorgeous,just slightly cooked,and with juice and cooking ingredients slightly linked there might just be something to go on here?

i remember reading a post, here i think, about some guy put his juice in the micro for a few seconds so maybe,just maybe??
    Yeah, it is a long shot, just wondering out loud about it....We take out the coils and they are black.....but before that what do they look like, not so nice new....maybe....you would never know....:) Smoking and cooking have been around for a long long time, vaping is just a newborn! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Cheers lads, so it's a case of pulling too hard is causing the wick to get burnt without enough liquid on it. I'll have to tap the brakes so!

I blocked one of the holes on the Protank as it was too airy.... Toothpick does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

I've been using Protanks (1, 2 & mini) for a few months, pretty much exclusively. Apart from a pack of dodgy spurious heads I've never seen this with mine. I usually get well over a month out of a head in the mini, using approx a tank full a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

SgtBob wrote: »
    I've been using Protanks (1, 2 & mini) for a few months, pretty much exclusively. Apart from a pack of dodgy spurious heads I've never seen this with mine. I usually get well over a month out of a head in the mini, using approx a tank full a day.

A month from a head!!?

Are you dry burning all the time?

What kind of juice are you vaping?

I only get a few days from mine, using a couple of mls per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

DublinCJM wrote: »
    A month from a head!!?

Using a variety of juice. Mostly enjuice at the moment, it's a 80/20 PG/VG mix as far as I know. Once I start getting dry burning, I usually change heads, though sometimes I will change when the flavor dies off. I've only had a few times when the proper kanger heads haven't lasted for me.

Sometimes with thicker juice they will start dry burning quicker, but I usually pull out one of the wicks and it'll happily work away for a while longer.

I have had once or twice where I completely burned the crap out of a head that didn't feed properly.

But when I get a good head it lasts, and about 75% of the proper heads last for me.

I usually use the 2.2ohm heads, when I run them at about 3.6v on my twist they last ages in my mini. On the normal protank I run at 2.2ohm and go between 7-7.6watts.

I did find that juices from one particular company did turn my heads black almost immediately, but it did the same with my protanks, a vivi nova and an iClear i30. So take from that what you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

DublinCJM wrote: »
    A month from a head!!?

I've been on the same mini head for three weeks now myself, hope I'm not just lucky! Great going altogether (jeez, sounds pure Irish doesn't it), no sign of it abating either.
    Haven't done any dry burns, cleaning, nothing.
    Clear juice (Healthiersmoker's Wicked Black Fire Tobacco) which hasn't discoloured - I seen the other thread on juices darkening in Protanks, no such misfortune with mine. Best clearo I've used so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

Fair enough. I know the el toro juices are tough on the coils but sure that's a great bit of longevity you're both getting altogether :D

Advertisement