Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...]

Funny that the wikipedia page for TDX/TRX tyres shows an E34 (525i sport, TU engine, run out model for you anoraks) with the standard BBS non metric wheel :D

The wheels my brother had looked exactly the same! Although they were 390s and on E28 (actually 2 E28s: 524TD and later 535i). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I had a Montego once, with those metric rims.
    Would just go to a breakers yard and buy as good a pair as he had, whenever it needed tyres.

Even the typical tyre changers that small local garages had at the time would struggle to break down the bead and remove the tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

joujoujou wrote: »
    The wheels my brother had looked exactly the same! Although they were 390s and on E28 (actually 2 E28s: 524TD and later 535i). :)

They be E24 metric which looks identical to the regular E34 wheel (E28 had a different design for metric wheels), but has a black stripe the whole way round... The E34 has a different style of BBS metric wheel :D

Very easy to get caught out! If they had no tyres you'd have to go by the bead on the rim :p

Some very boring useless information I gathered over the years is finally being shared :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Over the past few weeks:

What is that, a Charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I had a Montego once, with those metric rims.
    Would just go to a breakers yard and buy as good a pair as he had, whenever it needed tyres.

Even the typical tyre changers that small local garages had at the time would struggle to break down the bead and remove the tyre.
    TDX and TRX metric wheels; the bane of many an E34 owner where tyres would often cost 4 to 5 times the price of the standard size (in my case 225/60R15). Think it was marketed as a compromise tyre (performance driving and comfort in one tyre)

Funny that the wikipedia page for TDX/TRX tyres shows an E34 (525i sport, TU engine, run out model for you anoraks) with the standard BBS non metric wheel :D
    Very hard. My brother used to have 5er on similar wheels (TRX system they called it), struggling to find new tyres. Eventually bought a set of part-worns with rims, drove on them for some time, struggling again, finally bought a set of "normal" rims. 2 sets of TRX (nice classic-like BBS rims, I've to admit) left in a shed. Couple of years later all 8 rims landed on a pile in a local scrap metal place.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/automotive-history-michelins-trx-tire-reinventing-the-radial-tire-didnt-work-as-well-as-inventing-it/
    They be E24 metric which looks identical to the regular E34 wheel (E28 had a different design for metric wheels), but has a black stripe the whole way round... The E34 has a different style of BBS metric wheel :D

Very easy to get caught out! If they had no tyres you'd have to go by the bead on the rim :p

Some very boring useless information I gathered over the years is finally being shared :D

They have to be the most dense, minutiae-filled posts I've ever read on boards. That's seriously impressive lads. Keep up the good work :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

What is that, a Charger?

Pontiac Firebird.

A Charger is about twice the size! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Mini piloted by a little old lady caught in haste on Westland Row today, unsurprisingly its 1 owner from new :)

30084581928_4b1c93738f_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Mazda Nenagh

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

457967.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Nice to see one of these Scorpios still on the road.

Not a great looking car though and hard to understand why Ford went from the attractively styled Mk 3 Granada to this.

Still good to see a survivor

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I expected it to tear off in the distance, but knew it wasn't what I had hoped when the transit caught up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Nice LHD Bay in Cavan town yesterday.

Myfb2N6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Someone nicked his petrol cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Not on the road but in a my neighbours field this morning. 01 Toyota Corrolla. Crashed after losing control around a bend mounted a ditch and demolished a pillar.

Todays offerings

89/90 VW Jetta

99 Seat Arosa or VW Lupo - both Arosa and Lupo were the same car with different and tbh I wasnt close enough to see which it was.

Fiat Punto Mk 1

1997 VW Polo.

1998 Mondeo turbodiesel

1995 Toyota Corolla.

00 N15 Nissan Almera just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

No links showing on Touch site.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Simca 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Esel wrote: »
    No links showing on Touch site.

There's no links to show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Simca 1000

not sure if the car is made out of damp cardboard, or your phone's a bit wonky :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

458481.jpg

clearing pics off the phone, so there'll be a few posts coming..

the '96 corolla is in showroom condition, recently NCT'd and under 50k miles on the clock..
    The Land Cruiser was in top nick too

last few..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

A 1987 clean white Toyota Corolla passed me on my way back from Nenagh just outside Borrisoleigh. If I wasn’t driving I could’ve got a photograph. Car looked local (TN reg) and turned up the L4142 road.

..found more (from Spain)

..the rather dusty Safrane was for sale

a battle scarred R19 (to give Duke the horn :D)

always had a soft spot for the Twingo.. a friend had one in Germany in the early 90s, huuuge space in them for such a small car

• Advertisement

..last few (I think)

Advertisement