Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LariToper

sligojoek wrote: »
    Hope it's ok to put these here. The wagon in question came up in conversation in the classic thread but it's too new for there.

Someone couldnt bear to leave their Commodore sportswagon behind when they emigrated back from Australia.
    I don't know what I think of them, they'd be class for touring around the outback, not so sure about commuting through Ireland. The chassis is as long as a hearse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

LariToper wrote: »
    Someone couldnt bear to leave their Commodore sportswagon behind when they emigrated back from Australia.
    I don't know what I think of them, they'd be class for touring around the outback, not so sure about commuting through Ireland. The chassis is as long as a hearse

Yeah I was thinking if you were going to go to all that expense there are better more interesting things you could ship over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

tuxy wrote: »
    Yeah I was thinking if you were going to go to all that expense there are better more interesting things you could ship over.
    I'm not casting any aspersions on the car or owner, but it's possible that he's able to tax it commercially. I would imagine that and the fact it's a 4 door makes a lot of sense to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

There's a good chance that Holden is a V8 - and it will definitely be rwd. Probably always going to be one of the most interesting cars in any car park.

From same family as the Monaro - so you could potentially make a real interesting beast of it if Monaro bits can be fitted.

Better and more interesting things is open to opinion btw

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Old diesel wrote: »
    There's a good chance that Holden is a V8 - and it will definitely be rwd. Probably always going to be one of the most interesting cars in any car park.

From same family as the Monaro - so you could potentially make a real interesting beast of it if Monaro bits can be fitted.

Better and more interesting things is open to opinion btw

A few years ago was going through one of the tolls on the M3, when a black one of those went through a few gates over.
    It was a pissy wet day, and he laid rubber for probably 50 yards, as the back end snaked left and right, fighting for grip.

Wouldn't be a wagon for "test pilots" on a wet day, that's for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It's a V8 alright

Ya, it's owned by an Aussie guy who has a pub in Sligo. He's here since before 04 so I'm guessing he went out a few years ago and brought it back. I drink in the pub now and again but was never talking to him. Next time I'm in I'll have a chat with him and get the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Nenagh
    8ZO4evt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Tuam. Daily driver. A pipe smoking gent

pWInR9nh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I saw this today in Bantry. I’d a quick chat with the owner too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Great spot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

1992 Honda SiR-S spotted at Maynooth Train Station.

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,534 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

68554857_2372485376407403_6857221596541616128_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_oc=AQmLE6yDxDkdLXkoUMDK5zREqdPsldmTdtWu_kAkqpfX2XYiamW773PSFJlzvLpUxIY&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=728b596a962457112b9d7d2c3eab4b8b&oe=5DD2DD16

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

crosstownk wrote: »
    I saw this today in Bantry. I’d a quick chat with the owner too.

Gorgeous.

My all-time favourite car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Old diesel wrote: »
    Edit - I've since arrived at the conclusion that those are the pre facelift rear lights on that 505.

Couldn't figure when exactly the GTD turbo came out but it seems most likely it's arrival wasn't linked to the facelift.

Ah well the joys of trying to be geeky :(

You're correct. The car is 100% original as it left the factory. Drives like new too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

No we can't access a photo from your eir webmail.
    You can host upload it to an image hosting site or select manage attachments after hitting the post reply button here.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bluenose1956

https://i.imgur.com/cAJsJfG.jpg

tuxy, many thanks. I've deleted my original post, if this doesn't work I'll give up trying to post and continue with looking only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

https://i.imgur.com/cAJsJfG.jpg

tuxy, many thanks. I've deleted my original post, if this doesn't work I'll give up trying to post and continue with looking only.

That link works fine

Galway
    fbkvrEu.jpg

UkYlBgC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Ooooh that's just feckin beautiful.

Galway
    smqDoS3.jpg

W5zcTjs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

A quare one out there on Montague Street at lunchtime, 80-D-702, 5.6L Unknown Unknown according to Cartell but it's an Oldsmobile EightyEight:

Owner was with it so couldn't get a proper pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

M7 yesterday :

20190812-120143.jpg

20190812-120244.jpg

And Glasnevin ID today :
    Nissan Sunny
    20190812-164919.jpg

20190812-164934.jpg

That Cortina.

Wow. Just wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

That cortina is an absolute thing of beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

m17 wrote: »
    Galway
    fbkvrEu.jpg

UkYlBgC.jpg
    I must forward this to my father, I want to see a grown man cry, he claims it was a choice between buying this type of Cortina or getting married.

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

A quare one out there on Montague Street at lunchtime, 80-D-702, 5.6L Unknown Unknown according to Cartell but it's an Oldsmobile EightyEight:

Owner was with it so couldn't get a proper pic.

That's not a 1980 Olds but it is an Oldsmobile from the late 80s early 90s.

dvcireland wrote: »
    I must forward this to my father, I want to see a grown man cry, he claims it was a choice between buying this type of Cortina or getting married.

My Dad had a green Cortina like that back in the 70s. The reg was IBI 606. Anyone know what year/county that was?

EDIT: I sent him the photos and he texted back to say it cost him IR£950 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,042 ✭✭✭CoBo55

crosstownk wrote: »
    My Dad had a green Cortina like that back in the 70s. The reg was IBI 606. Anyone know what year/county that was?

EDIT: I sent him the photos and he texted back to say it cost him IR£950 :D

BI is Monaghan, can't help with the exact year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,042 ✭✭✭CoBo55

dvcireland wrote: »

If the marriage lasted longer than 5 years he made the right choice!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mafitz

Hi friend of mine showed up in a beautifully restored Cortina 1600E 1970, last night beautiful beautiful car

Advertisement