Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭CoBo55

mafitz wrote: »
    Hi friend of mine showed up in a beautifully restored Cortina 1600E 1970, last night beautiful beautiful car

Give us an aul pic..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

crosstownk wrote: »
    My Dad had a green Cortina like that back in the 70s. The reg was IBI 606. Anyone know what year/county that was?

EDIT: I sent him the photos and he texted back to say it cost him IR£950 :D

ZBI was 81, so I’d guess IBI would be early or mid 70s

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Glengarriff. Last Saturday. I was across the road having a pint and was too lazy to get the reg plate included in the photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

My Dad had a green Cortina like that back in the 70s. The reg was IBI 606. Anyone know what year/county that was?
    ZBI was 81, so I’d guess IBI would be early or mid 70s

IBI ran from 11/70 till 1/72, so IBI 606 would have been registered roughly in the middle of 1971.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,530 ✭✭✭✭vectra

EDIT: I sent him the photos and he texted back to say it cost him IR£950 :D

My father had a green one as well. 1.6 xl ( gxl ) maybe?
    Had horrible green leather and dash and door panels to match :o
    HPI 199 was the number as far as I recall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Moneygall co offaly
    CcuYoQK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Nice W123 in Cavan town today.
    Looks a daily driver.
    Were the straight six's noticeably better than the 230?
    h8XW7ZM.jpg

Was talking to a fella at Terenure this year who reckons the 4 cyl engines were far superior to the 6'. We were comparing a 200 to a 250, but I presume the same goes for 230 and 280.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

Was talking to a fella at Terenure this year who reckons the 4 cyl engines were far superior to the 6'. We were comparing a 200 to a 250, but I presume the same goes for 230 and 280.

Better in what regard? 6 cylinder be far smoother engine...

supervento wrote: »
    Better in what regard? 6 cylinder be far smoother engine...

Smoother for sure but a bit more complex in some regards and with a few issues not found in the 4 cyl cars. Aside from the diesels the 200 and 230 petrols are in big demand out in Africa because of their durability. Not many 6s out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

Smoother for sure but a bit more complex in some regards and with a few issues not found in the 4 cyl cars. Aside from the diesels the 200 and 230 petrols are in big demand out in Africa because of their durability. Not many 6s out there

Ah right... the 6 cylinders are fairly bullet proof anyway from a reliability point of view....

I had manual 230e manual years ago and it was chalk & cheese compared to driving a 260e auto that I got after it. I always felt the 230e engine was too small or under powered for the 124 body.. grand once you had got it up to 60 or 70mph, also the manual 230e was not nice to drive around in city’s or traffic.

I wonder about the ones that end up in Africa would it also be due to the fact that the 6 cylinders command a premium... I was only looking at w201’s the other day and the difference in price between a four cylinder and the six cylinder is quiet an amount of money.. probably due to their scarcity to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Lovely Starlet daily driver I see from time to time in Islandbridge. With age appropriate faded red paint.

I got some weird looks taking this, but I couldn't pass it up. I watched the elderly owner park and clamber out, and thought about moving in for the ol' "if ever you consider selling..." pitch, but I have too much on my plate at the moment :D

48543175016_ca67a2ffc5_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

There was a lovely white '87 911 on the M50 this morning.

Got an acknowledging nod as I drew alongside on my 87 VF!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

I got some weird looks taking this, but I couldn't pass it up. I watched the elderly owner park and clamber out, and thought about moving in for the ol' "if ever you consider selling..." pitch, but I have too much on my plate at the moment :D

The person in the blue t-shirt to the left of the car is having awful looking at you. :D

The car looks in immaculate condition tbf.

Next time you consder the pitch think of me :)

I'd love that! :O

Next time you consder the pitch think of me :)

I'd love that! :O

You should see the Starlet I’m getting in a few weeks. 93 Jap import, 3 door, 5 speed 100 bhp. Same owner since 96...excited is an understatement :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Spotted a spotless '90 reg Audi 100 Avant 2.0 Quattro on the way to work this morning near Annesley Bridge, Dublin. Looked to be in amazing nick and still looks quite distinctive compared to many others.

You should see the Starlet I’m getting in a few weeks. 93 Jap import, 3 door, 5 speed 100 bhp. Same owner since 96...excited is an understatement :D

I loathe thee. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Old ford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭TimHorton

As per title I saw a 90 year old car pulling out of Lidl in Athlone today (I have a pic of the rear and and will post later)

What is the oldest car you have seem on the road ?

TimHorton wrote: »
    As per title I saw a 90 year old car pulling out of Lidl in Athlone today (I have a pic of the rear and and will post later)

What is the oldest car you have seem on the road ?

You win

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

In north Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭TimHorton

pnlstc8Cp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

fin12 wrote: »
    In north Cork.

looks good. I saw a mK3 Transit the other day on ZV plates, it looked quite odd (for no reason at al)

TimHorton wrote: »
    pnlstc8Cp

Looks uterly bizarre with Europlates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Looks uterly bizarre with Europlates.

True but it makes it more interesting to the general public who would not know it is 90 years old without the modern plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

tuxy wrote: »
    True but it makes it more interesting to the general public who would not know it is 90 years old without the modern plates.

yes but it would have the same number whatever style plates it had. Technically, I believer all post 1990 imports should wear euro plates, but no one enforces that and this would look so much better with more sympathetic plates.

tuxy wrote: »
    Isambard wrote: »
    yes but it would have the same number whatever style plates it had. Technically, I believer all post 1990 imports should wear euro plates, but no one enforces that and this would look so much better with more sympathetic plates.

Yeah I was thinking just plain black-on-white plates that all pre-1991 cars can use or even silver-on-black.

• Advertisement

Spotted today in Coolock

48591355796_93b41ccdcb_c.jpg

Advertisement