Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Vittu wrote: »
    I love those A8's, timeless

Good man quote all those pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,255 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

1990 Sierra Estate in SV carpark Tuam. Often meet this on the road
    Managed to get a pic today

eNQxRguh.jpg

ZNHMas1h.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Good man quote all those pics.

Why wouldn't one quote all the pictures just to comment on one of them?
    gammygils wrote: »
    Spotted in Punta Prima, Torrevieja & La Zenia during the week

Quoted images removed by moderator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

tuxy wrote: »
    Why wouldn't one quote all the pictures just to comment on one of them?

Cos theres no fcuking need too.

On topic,wouldnt those Jap classics cost an absolute fortune to keep on the road.
    Their "NCT" costs more the older the car gets doesnt it.

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    On topic,wouldnt those Jap classics cost an absolute fortune to keep on the road.
    Their "NCT" costs more the older the car gets doesnt it.

It's an NCT every two years for cars over 4 years old and under 10 years old.
    Then an NCT every year after that.
    Same cost every time you have to go for an NCT afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

It's an NCT every two years for cars over 4 years old and under 10 years old.
    Then an NCT every year after that.
    Same cost every time you have to go for an NCT afaik.

Ok.
    I always thought cars got real expensive to test in Japan after a certain age and that was why the export industry was as good as it is.

Sorry misread, yes I think they have a test every 6 months on older cars. Then you have factors like social pressure and the fact parking spaces can be worth more than the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Ok.
    I always thought cars got real expensive to test in Japan after a certain age and that was why the export industry was as good as it is.

I had thought you were talking about Ireland as well. Really hard to get a handle on old metal here but the older stuff is definitely more prevalent in the likes of Kyōto than say in Tokyo and Osaka. Though I did spot an estate E10 down in Shinjuku the other day, but shít slow camera put paid to me getting a photo quick enough.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sorry misread, yes I think they have a test every 6 months on older cars. Then you have factors like social pressure and the fact parking spaces can be worth more than the cars.
    Their NCT or Shaken is a good bit more expensive than here. Depending on car size and age(and area) it runs between 500 to over a 1000 quid per inspection. Many in Japan because of convenience and not having the time use agents to run their cars through the test which adds a fee on top of that. You can save a fair chunk of money by prechecking the car and running through the test centre yourself, but few enough would do it. It's also more strict than the NCT(IIRC over 60 points of failure are tested for) and yes older cars are tested annually, some biannually. I know if I were driving my late 90's Honda around Japan I'd be paying way more for the privilege and way more than a new Honda. Though from what I recall insurance is cheaper than here. Well now, there's a shock...

Like you say social and cultural pressure comes into play as newness is cherished even more than here(though there is a strong classic scene in Japan it tends to be made up of the more well off). Much of this is to drive Japan's home car industry as they need to shift the new units. Then again that's not exactly limited to Japan.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't be quoting many images unnecessarily, you're ruining my scrolling experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

A few from the Kingdom :

IMG-20191030-143754.jpg

IMG-20191102-123328.jpg

IMG-20191102-122734.jpg

IMG-20191102-120247.jpg

IMG-20191030-153326.jpg

IMG-20191028-142227.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭kyote00

M50 around Ballymun exit, on Friday

494299.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,255 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

95 Corolla SV Carpark Tuam. These things are still so plentiful

XvrEELih.jpg

Glasnevin today ;

IMG-20191105-165317.jpg

IMG-20191105-162110.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Last few from Japan:

Hiace from outside the Baseball Range in Shinjuku, Tokyo:

494596.jpg

494597.jpg

Townace in Kyōto:
    494598.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=494599&d=1572991254

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nissan Bluebird ZS reg. Lovely condition.

494645.jpg
    Apologies for the crappy dashcam pic.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

494719.png

Nenagh

• Registered Users Posts: 30,464 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

76945145_2451594695163137_174369332845871104_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_oc=AQmDSeYvwM4fNohAQMsHp_2QPOk6sQaP2IMAA6AFkWTQzooJpbSsu-OK2hXKR58dYvo&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=dd03617a4804a442cf598547b77f90dd&oe=5E49ADBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

mayota wrote: »
    That engine bay !!!

It's mint. Very rare to see one in such good condition with low miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

A beauty in the night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Pepper pots unique n sublime

Santry this morning :

IMG-20191109-WA0001.jpg

Absolutely drooling at that Saab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

494870.jpg

In Limerick today with MSL Cork reg plate surrounds. Only 2 owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,051 ✭✭✭✭neris

Didn't get a pic but a proper old school 60s mustang with half the engine on top of the bonnet on the N2 today just north of Ashbourne. Serious noise out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Vittu

Santry this morning :

IMG-20191109-WA0001.jpg

Is that the Turbo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

'92 Lotus Elan M100, Cork reg. I didn't know what I see, suprised how small it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭MrCostington

A W210 estate just coming off the M1 at Santry, think it was a 240. Sorry for poor pic.

Also saw a nice '79 Roller in East Wall , but no pic, so I guess it didn't happen!

w210.jpg

Advertisement