Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

80 is default for L and R roads, probably too high a default for L roads.
    To change from the default the council would actually have to do some work.....

I've never seen any kind of speed check on both L and R roads so you would be reliant on people being sensible regardless of limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

tuxy wrote: »
    80 is default for L and R roads, probably too high a default for L roads.
    To change from the default the council would actually have to do some work.....

I've never seen any kind of speed check on both L and R roads so you would be reliant on people being sensible regardless of limit.

I know what you mean. The N7 between Nanagh and Toomevara where I grew up was always 60mph. Then later 100Kmph. Once the M7 opened it went down to 50mph/80kmph. There was uproar over the speed vans on it. I think it's been raised again since. I don't drive when I'm down there.

Apologies for dragging OT. I'll open the phone and put up a few pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

m17 wrote: »
    Tuam
    LtZ2ibT.jpg

gqp8GZH.jpg

I got a photo of the 2nd one in the nip (the car not me :pac:) in the same carpark a couple of years ago. it's a Hillman

nFmLOZDh.png

The weather is kinder on the mainland.

498746.jpg

498747.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

sligojoek wrote: »
    I know what you mean. The N7 between Nanagh and Toomevara where I grew up was always 60mph. Then later 100Kmph. Once the M7 opened it went down to 50mph/80kmph. I think it's been raised again since. I don't drive when I'm down there.

Apologies for dragging OT. I'll open the phone and put up a few pics.

Yes OT but we might get away with it. ;)
    I can confirm it is 100 km/h and the Nenagh - Limerick old N7(R445 now) has also been raised to 100 again.
    So these roads defaulted to the 80 but the local council were sensible enough to give them a 100 designation even though they are R roads.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes OT but we might get away with it. ;)
    I can confirm it is 100 km/h and the Nenagh - Limerick old N7(R445 now) has also been raised to 100 again.
    So these roads defaulted to the 80 but the local council were sensible enough to give them a 100 designation even though they are R roads.

I rode that road for 10 years between Moneygall and limerick and Killaloe on all sorts of bikes from a honda 50 to a CB-X. If there were Gatso vans back then I'd be still off the road today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Coolock:

rsz-img-20191220-103417.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Was the Dublin Bus sign still on Dursey? was near the 100 sign

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

And this is what the Atlantic does to German engineering. I can only imagine the underneath :

IMG-20191229-155013.jpg

If the Mk 3 Golf of same era is a reliable yardstick - they can rust away happy out without the Atlantic's assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Audi A6 in Cavan today. 1996 or thereabouts?
    pwVCsjq.jpg

I hope he was parked first! Otherwise, bit of a di(k move towards the Nissan on the left....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Happy New Year folks,

last batch of 2019 pics from the phone, mostly north Wicklow/South Dublin spots

..the very last few -
    the 190D was a daily driver up until a year or so ago, elderly driver so I fear it's lying up going nowhere fast.
    The Beemer is one of the last E34s

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Nice pictures, liking that E series Morris. Interesting when you see it next to the Hyundai

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Galway
    OaZzqQu.jpg

Nice pictures, liking that E series Morris. Interesting when you see it next to the Hyundai

is that a similar model to the one you recently bought Duke?

tc20 wrote: »
    is that a similar model to the one you recently bought Duke?

Similar, but that’s a Morris 8 Series E in your photo to be precise, a bit bigger and better refined than the Austin Big 7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

tc20 wrote: »
    Happy New Year folks,

last batch of 2019 pics from the phone, mostly north Wicklow/South Dublin spots

*puts on pedant hat*

A 1275 GT isn't a Clubman ;)

*puts on pedant hat*

*doffs pedant hat in your general direction* ;)

d'oh, schoolboy error, the Clubman is the estate is it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

*puts on pedant hat*

Isn't that yellow one a Clubman? I presumed the Clubman had the different snout on it like the one pictured.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The "Mini 1275 GT" has the same flat nose as the Clubman, but it is a separate model to the Clubman. The Clubman was available in both saloon and estate.

All Australian-built Minis from 1971 got the same flat nose too, but weirdly the rest of the car was still mostly Mk. 1 Mini (external door hinges, etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

BMWs

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

00d primera

99 d landrover freelander

That Freelander is a good find, early ones are very hard to come by.

That Freelander is a good find, early ones are very hard to come by.

Can't remember the last time I saw one.

K series issues* and the fact they weren't the most reliable cars ever in general - must have killed off a lot of them.

*K series infamous for head gasket issues and the 1.8 which was that was in Freelander was possibly the worst affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Old diesel wrote: »
    Can't remember the last time I saw one.

K series issues* and the fact they weren't the most reliable cars ever in general - must have killed off a lot of them.

*K series infamous for head gasket issues and the 1.8 which was that was in Freelander was possibly the worst affected.

I went to do a head gasket on one, and drained about 5 litres of coolant out before the oil started coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

dvcireland wrote: »
    00d primera

I didn't know that model Primera came in an estate. They were hardly sold new here, is that an import?

tanko wrote: »
    I didn't know that model Primera came in an estate. They were hardly sold new here, is that an import?

That's an original in 2000 Irish reg.

55xxx in a year when the reg numbers went up to over 00 D 120xxx.

It was probably possible to buy one new on special order from Nissan. They were an EU/UK market offering so easy enough for Nissan Ireland to offer the option even if not popular.

Stupid thing is I had the P11-144* brochure back then and I can't remember if the Estate was on it.

(The -144 was the late 99 facelift of the P11 Primera)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

What was the 2.0 litre Diesel engine in those Primeras like. Was it reliable and capable of putting up big miles trouble free.
    How did it compare to the 1.9TDI engine in Passats at the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

tanko wrote: »
    What was the 2.0 litre Diesel engine in those Primeras like. Was it reliable and capable of putting up big miles trouble free.
    How did it compare to the 1.9TDI engine in Passats at the time?

Reliable and very oldschool. It'd be quite agricultural, underpowered and thirsty compared to the 1.9tdi though.

It'd be pretty similar to the rest of the 90's jap 2.0 td engines be it Toyota, Mitsubishi or Mazda.

Advertisement