Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

1990 BMW 3 Series

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

One of the best TD engines of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Golf up in Larne last Friday:

499537.jpeg

499538.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Cavan town on Monday. These were everywhere a few years ago, now almost disappeared.
    5szGsNj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Vittu

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Cavan town on Monday. These were everywhere a few years ago, now almost disappeared.
    5szGsNj.jpg
    Friend of mine had about 10 years ago, still says it was best car he ever had. Still drives a civic today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Very solid cars. What killed them and the other 90's Japanese iron was a combination of scrappage schemes, the celtic tiger and most of all rust. 90's Hondas were particularly prone and it often started deep in the chassis, so by the time you saw it on the outside the car was fecked. :( They needed rust protection like a fish needs water.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

That model Civic were a car thief’s dream in the 90s and early-to-mid 00s as well.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Very solid cars. What killed them and the other 90's Japanese iron was a combination of scrappage schemes, the celtic tiger and most of all rust. 90's Hondas were particularly prone and it often started deep in the chassis, so by the time you saw it on the outside the car was fecked. :( They needed rust protection like a fish needs water.

Very true. My pensioner Dad had a couple of Hondas, first of all an Integra ( the ones with the pop up head lights) and rust in the sills at the rear arch, and the torsion bar mount points killed it.
    He then had a Civic like the one above and it went the same way...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yeah N, sadly rear arch and sill rust was nearly a given in 90's Honda's.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Looking at that Civic has reminded me of this gem of a film:

They even rob a Civic like it! (at 29:49)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

A 1972 Merc heading to mass and an lovely if rusty Volvo in Clonea

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Knocknacarra, Galway

NuG8refh.jpg

9E9g6v3h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

Near work earlier:

499905.jpg

499906.jpg

Met an '85 Cavan registered Meastro this morning, so surprised I never got the camera up!
    Red with a silver wing.

Met an '85 Cavan registered Meastro this morning, so surprised I never got the camera up!
    Red with a silver wing.

Wow

Original Irish reg or 85-CN?

85 CN, but looks like it's going through an "on the road" type restoration.
    I had a Montego for a few years, and it was a tank of a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,043 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Saw a green 02 Citroen Xsara today and it looked prestine. Did not a picture as weather was too bad.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Saw these earlier in the Ballyroan carpark. Have seen the Volvo on a few occasions while driving so was never able to get a photo until today. The Corolla looked very well cared for too.

500142.jpg

500143.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Vittu

Love the look of those Volvo's

Vittu wrote: »
    Love the look of those Volvo's
    Meet your twin V. I'd love one of the turbo nutter ones from the past. :) Plus, and I know it's a cliche, but I know four people who are alive and well today because of those Volvo estate's build quality and safety. Big fan of the oul Ovlovs :)

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Meet your twin V. I'd love one of the turbo nutter ones from the past. :) Plus, and I know it's a cliche, but I know four people who are alive and well today because of those Volvo estate's build quality and safety. Big fan of the oul Ovlovs :)

There's a '79 Turbo Estate up on DD for €7k. Would absolutely love a 240 estate or saloon of that era myself sometime in the future, but sadly they seem very hard to come by in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Garzard wrote: »
    There's a '79 Turbo Estate up on DD for €7k. Would absolutely love a 240 estate or saloon of that era myself sometime in the future, but sadly they seem very hard to come by in Ireland!

Linky ?

Oh . And I have something more rugged 70s (also Volvo build) behind the house ;) And it does get seen on the road .. mostly during summertime. The sound track often gets mistaken for a BMW M3. The sight is not what you expect.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Linky ?

Oh . And I have something more rugged 70s (also Volvo build) behind the house ;) And it does get seen on the road .. mostly during summertime. The sound track often gets mistaken for a BMW M3. The sight is not what you expect.

/M

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1979-volvo-240-turbo-estate/23920251

500277.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Very tidy estate

I know it's not on the road.... but I had to put it up here.

For the last 2 years I've driven past it in the underground car park. And for the first time today I decided to actually go over and have a look at it...

Tax and insurance out 05/11 and 64203 miles on the clock!!! It's absolutely spotless.

500339.jpeg

500340.jpeg

I’m starting to warm to them. We will be falling over one another looking for good examples in a few years

I’m starting to warm to them. We will be falling over one another looking for good examples in a few years

Well I have my eye on this one. I'm gonna do more investigating and seeing if the present occupier of the apt knows anything about it. It shows though what getting a car undercover can do for preservation.

The Carina is going into that car park during the next week. Finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,043 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I know it's not on the road.... but I had to put it up here.

For the last 2 years I've driven past it in the underground car park. And for the first time today I decided to actually go over and have a look at it...

Tax and insurance out 05/11 and 64203 miles on the clock!!! It's absolutely spotless.

500339.jpeg

500340.jpeg

You know that Daewoo actually lost money making them. Fiat done the costs up for a magazine up I think and said they were loss making.

I actually have the brochure for the Matiz somewhere.

I wonder how much that would be worth now maybe 500 euro?

Maybe he thinks it will become a classic. Could do with some fog lights.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    You know that Daewoo actually lost money making them. Fiat done the costs up for a magazine up I think and said they were loss making.

I actually have the brochure for the Matiz somewhere.

I wonder how much that would be worth now maybe 500 euro?

Maybe he thinks it will become a classic. Could do with some fog lights.

I honestly think that whoever is in that apartment has no idea it's in that space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

They share some parts with the old Suzuki Altos too so they've got proven pedigree ;)

Advertisement