Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,041 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

BrianD3 wrote: »
    There was a very low mileage one for sale in Westmeath recently. Looked in super condition outwardly but based on some comments in this forum it may not have been as good as it looked.

I have not seen a mk1, phase 1 Megane on the road for at least 2 years and the phase 2 is disappearing fast now too. These cars are very rust resistant, much better than a Focus in that regard, engines and gearboxes last well too. They get scrapped because of age, poor maintenance and because nobody gives a sh*t about them while Corollas, Focii, Golfs, Civics etc. all have a following. Hardly a day goes by when I don't see a 97-01 Corolla on the roads, some days I'd see several.
    Skoda Octavia MK 1s still around too. I seen one today. Good to see. They were a good car and safe for there time too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Ennnis
    kfsnyFI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Vittu

Co Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Vittu

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam
    oin6ZKq.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭65535

Not great picture quality but here goes.

1.png

2.png

Ms

That Fiesta looks rough. Should that even be on the roads? I seen a car this week can not remember what it was but it was rough and most certainly should not have been on the roads.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

AMKC wrote: »
    Those Fiestas look rough.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭passatman86

Nice curtain pole on the back of the fiesta

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭65535

That Fiesta looks rough. Should that even be on the roads? I seen a car this week can not remember what it was but it was rough and most certainly should not have been on the roads.

The small Tesco opposite St. Finbarr's hospital - Douglas Road - Cork
    But Hey it's a 'Ghia'

Here's the front
    front.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

65535 wrote: »
    The small Tesco opposite St. Finbarr's hospital - Douglas Road - Cork
    But Hey it's a 'Ghia'

Here's the front
    If ever there was an argument for classic cars to have some form of nct, that fiesta could be exhibit a. Shocking something in that poor shape can be on the roads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They do get tested, but not as rigorously. Plus it could be mechanically sound. I know someone whose car, a much younger car, is not far off looking like that(his better three quarters is woeful at judging distance), a mobile sample sheet of isopon and rattle cans, but it flies the NCT every year. It looks ropey, but it isn't actually ropey.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Looks as though it's prepped for spraying, no?

Mind you my next door neighbour had a Scimitar prepped for spraying and drove it like that for 10 years, a new patch every week. The smell of fiberglass patching solvent always takes me back to Northside suburbs of the 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭passatman86

Nice curtain pole on the "front" of that fiesta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Wibbs wrote: »
    They do get tested, but not as rigorously.

:confused: by who?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lurching wrote: »
    :confused: by who?
    If they're under 40 years old, by the NCT.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Wibbs wrote: »
    If they're under 40 years old, by the NCT.

Of course, getting my dates mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

65535 wrote: »
    Not great picture quality but here goes.

Here's the front
    front.png

2.png

To be fair, the Fiesta does look rough but it looks to be only cosmetic. From what I can see for a car 37 years old, it has plenty of tread on the tyres. The exhaust isn't hanging off it, which was common on these Fiesta's. It has no broken lights units. Okay, the bumpers are non standard, the wiper is missing from the rear window, but it still has two on the windscreen and it looks to have TAX, insurance and a NCT discs on display, so it's doing much better then a few newer cars that come to my mind!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

That Fiesta was last in test in 2019, so I'd say its probably not too bad. Curtain pole bumper aside it just looks like someone is touching in loads of blisters it'll have picked up in its 30+ years on the road

Spotted by my brother yesterday in Harmonstown. Same owner since 1999

51199989861_386c0c5f0b_z.jpg

• Advertisement
    Ms

Spotted by my brother yesterday in Harmonstown. Same owner since 1999

51199989861_386c0c5f0b_z.jpg

It is in great condition but whoever it is must care to much about comfort or safety as you will not get any of that in that late 70s early 80s designed basic car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

It is in great condition but whoever it is must care to much about comfort or safety as you will not get any of that in that late 70s early 80s designed basic car.

O fer feck sake, be grand. I'd have no problem driving a yoke like that

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

My daily is a 1994.

Some people just like the simple basic things in life, It'll never go into limp mode or throw a random engine management light and can be probably fixed with a basic toolkit kept in the boot.

Comfort is subjective as for safety, Well he's still alive isn't he.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

It's certainly no Megane.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A few cars from May so far, on random days. Had them on the phone, only putting them on the PC today.

1988 Merc 260
    hW4n4wj.png

1996 Jaguar XJS
    1IxRZrs.png

1999 BMW 318
    NNfuPEH.png

1986 Austin Mini CITY 1.0
    4AnNV8F.png

1986 Ford Sierra 2.8 XR
    zANl8UE.png

ZV8552 - Have the reg, but it's not coming up under anything.
    rHebM3k.png

Unknown reg, unknown car
    FOQPjLv.png
    the_syco wrote: »
    /edit
    A slightly better image;

UI212Tg.png

WZJ278. 1.8 1967 MG. Seems it's green when viewed up close.
    Got a shot with better lighting;
    eXEecFs.png

the_syco wrote: »

ZV8552 - Have the reg, but it's not coming up under anything.
    rHebM3k.png

Unknown reg, unknown car
    FOQPjLv.png

Great spots syco.

First car is a Wolseley 16/60, here's one I had until a few weeks ago.

51092594912_6b42f9d1c3_z.jpg

Second car is a Bitter SC, based on an Opel Senator

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Ford Capri
    554135.jpg

Northpoint NCT yesterday, spotted by a family member. 1 owner from new

51206048981_027fc6b929_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Hartstown, Dublin 15

L9i8yii.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Northpoint NCT yesterday, spotted by a family member. 1 owner from new

51206048981_027fc6b929_c.jpg

Saw that about a quarter to three yesterday on the Ballymun Rd. I have a soft spot for them.

Advertisement