Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

'89 Ford Fiesta driving badly by CUH. Red. Didn't get a picture due to the lane moving fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Friends of the family own a '92 Citroen ZX estate and '90 Golf van.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Wow that Volvo is fantastic, a real work horse lovely to see it in (presumably) daily use. ZF reg is Cork I think?

not sure of the origins of ZF, Duke (I'm not a reg-anorak :pac:) but it is indeed in regular use around north Wicklow. There's a couple of other Volvo estates on the go around here, though the others I see are late 80s/early 90s - I'm not sure what year ZF is. That one in particular has the lovely armchair buttoned black leather interior :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭b318isp

Saw an original and Irish plated blue Audi Quattro in traffic at Nutgrove, Rathfanahm on Saturday. Had the kids eyeballing it, as it is a very rare sighting these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Apologies for the poor pics here - taken through the windscreen in awful conditions earlier today. These were both parked a few spaces up from one another but I couldn't get both into the one shot. The Mk3 was in lovely condition, crook lock and everything in place. Was a nice contrast with the tatty 02 plater with dents and rust

PhotoEditor-1447340499405_zpsddaznv7y.jpg

PhotoEditor-1447341450827_zpsyiatolya.jpg?t=1447256323

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

hard to believe the could both have the same engine :pac:

unusual to see a mk3 in silver. that's a nice run out model with the c/c'd bumpers, fancier door mirrors, smaller rubbing strips, de-tango'd indicators and slimmer wing repeater etc. really vein attempt looking back now but i'd love one... again.

i think those door mirrors and repeaters made it onto the mk4 fiesta, they were the same chassis weren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

That is a Mk3.5, Same mirrors/repeaters and steering wheel as a Mk4. (Mk3.5 came out in 94)

There's more changes as well, I know the engines are different and the seats are too IIRC.

Silver is not that uncommon, I'v a Silver 91 Mk3 3-Door tucked away. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Saw this lovely 87 Fiesta in Carraroe, Sligo last weekend. Very well looked after. Was feeling a bit nostalgic, my first car was an 87 Fiesta and was the same colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

DakarVert wrote: »
    That is a Mk3.5, Same mirrors/repeaters and steering wheel as a Mk4. (Mk3.5 came out in 94)

There's more changes as well, I know the engines are different and the seats are too IIRC.

Silver is not that uncommon, I'v a Silver 91 Mk3 3-Door tucked away. :)

I actually think the engines are essential the same the mark 4 used the 1.3 pushrod engine with a different fuel injection and i might be wrong but if it had the 1.25 engine in the mark 4 it woud have a 16v badge on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

jayo26 wrote: »
    I actually think the engines are essential the same the mark 4 used the 1.3 pushrod engine with a different fuel injection and i might be wrong but if it had the 1.25 engine in the mark 4 it woud have a 16v badge on the back.

Correct, I just checked they became fuel injected in 1992, Mine being a '91 is a carb. (I assumed they changed around the Mk3.5)

Ford basically used the Kent engine from late 1950s right up until the last of the 'Classic' Ka. (2009?)
    (Although it did go through a few changes in its time)

• Advertisement

DakarVert wrote: »
    Correct, I just checked they became fuel injected in 1992, Mine being a '91 is a carb. (I assumed they changed around the Mk3.5)

Ford basically used the Kent engine from late 1950s right up until the last of the 'Classic' Ka. (2009?)
    (Although it did go through a few changes in its time)

Didnt go through enough changes ha it was a terrible old very rattley engine and terrible fuel consumption but heck it was reliable.

Yehh i think all them ka's were only the pushrod engine dont think any got the 1.25 or they could of done in later years i dont remember ever seen one.

Does your 91 come with the luxurious VELOUR upholstery ha they were a nice car in the day, i had a 90 rs van they looked nice with the little kit on them only had the 1.1 engine though.

PhotoEditor-1447429714121_zpscgemetl0.jpg

Malahide road earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Peugot 205 GTI in Longford retail park today. Probably 1985-86.

22628509357_a61f29fc51_z.jpg

22628469298_c6c1701d29_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Peugot 205 GTI in Longford retail park today. Probably 1985-86.

22628509357_a61f29fc51_z.jpg

22628469298_c6c1701d29_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Small car syndrome. PARKING :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,546 ✭✭✭✭vectra

This was from a few days ago.
    1963 I think this one is.
    2015-11-19%2012.07.29_zps6gm8xlrw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Been a while since I saw a Daihatsu Rocky. This is a 91 WH one. In Cavan town last Saturday.

PhotoEditor-1449237658423_zpsj8pqvh7a.jpg

And here we have a one owner VW Beetle in Artane. Isn't it class

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

How can he see out the windscreen,with all the papers and sticker on it?
    Lovely yoke though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

just fine :confused:

• Advertisement

I found that with my Wolseley 1300 and Saab 96 the disc holders would take up a lot of space on the passenger side, I used to use a small bit of tape to just hold the disc in place

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

How can he see out the windscreen,with all the papers and sticker on it?
    Lovely yoke though

Blame the loo lah half wit Irish authorities, other countries seem to manage just fine without insisting people do so. Even less excuse for it now in the days of number plate scanners.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

La Fenetre wrote: »
    Blame the loo lah half wit Irish authorities, other countries seem to manage just fine without insisting people do so. Even less excuse for it now in the days of number plate scanners.

very few squad cars actually have ANPR (number plate scanners) - just some of the traffic corp as far as i know.

very few squad cars actually have ANPR (number plate scanners) - just some of the traffic corp as far as i know.

Very few police cars had radio's once, so what's the point exactly ? Why should it remain that way ?

How is it other European countries can mange road tax, insurance, and car road worthiness, without insisting people plaster so many disks all over the windscreen ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Very few police cars had radio's once, so what's the point exactly ? Why should it remain that way ?

How is it other European countries can mange road tax, insurance, and car road worthiness, without insisting people plaster so many disks all over the windscreen ?

They might have the bits of paper but just not the requirement to plaster them over the windscreen.

They might have the bits of paper but just not the requirement to plaster them over the windscreen.

In other words, things work fine in other countries, without resorting to a halfwit system of plastering bits of paperwork all over the front windscreen.

Put them on the rear side window.

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Put then on the sun and visor and when been approached you let it down :) im sure it needs a little bit of working on but ill patent this idea :)

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Legally for a car, they must be on the front windscreen.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/si/548/made/en/print

• Advertisement

Legally for a car, they must be on the front windscreen.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/si/548/made/en/print

Yes, if it's the NCT disk.

Anyway, it's still a class old Beetle. I remember as aittle kid fighting with my sister over which of us got to sit in the little compartment over tbe engine at the back of the Uncles 1300.
    And being a farmer, he appreciated the way you could sit a 50kg bag of animal feed on the back bumper and drive home!

Advertisement