Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Love the Hunter!
    My neighbour had one that exact shade of pink.
    (It left the factory red!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Nice spot Duke.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Love the Hunter!

My uncle had two of them. An estate that was supposed to be dark blue but the paint faded to a dull patina almost immediately and a saloon in classic 1970's "Hearing Aid Beige."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Hi,
    I asked here some months ago about the year of registration of IE75. A poster very kindly volunteered 1903/1904, but registration began in 1903 and I doubt that 75 cars were registered in County Clare in the first year of registration. Any comments, please?

feargale wrote: »
    Hi,
    I asked here some months ago about the year of registrtion of IE75. A poster very kindly volunteered 1903/1904, but registration began in 1903 and I doubt that 75 cars were registered in County Clare in the first year of registration. Any comments, please?

Would the ie be for all of Ireland maybe they didn't narrow it down to counties straight away??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

jayo26 wrote: »
    Would the ie be for all of Ireland maybe they didn't narrow it down to counties straight away??

No, IE = Clare. The registration marks for individual counties were assigned in 1903. Furthermore, this car was registered to a man resident in Clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

feargale wrote: »
    Hi,
    I asked here some months ago about the year of registrtion of IE75. A poster very kindly volunteered 1903/1904, but registration began in 1903 and I doubt that 75 cars were registered in County Clare in the first year of registration. Any comments, please?

They came up with the number with two rolls of a 10-sided dice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

1992 Toyota price list, might be of interest to some. Sorry about the poor quality, still meaning to scan these and others in. Will gladly get clearer photos of various bits if anyone is interested..

PhotoEditor-1451910177983_zpssscxb0pf.jpg

PhotoEditor-1451910226366_zpsucghhqoy.jpg

PhotoEditor-1451910315533_zps8wviiayi.jpg

PhotoEditor-1451910479605_zpsh6cdhcwz.jpg

PhotoEditor-1451915482899_zpsh0tbeedb.jpg

And commercial, only two pages

PhotoEditor-1451915596048_zpsab6nddso.jpg

PhotoEditor-1451915627939_zpsnplurtsk.jpg

I got brochures for the Starlet and Cressida too but will upload them when I scan them in. Original Lancia Delta 1300/1500 brochure too and Volvo, Ford & Nissan 1987 brochures and price lists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Love the Hunter!

My Dad had a Maroon Hunter estate in the late 70's, still remember the reg, RZU 185.

Recent from the midlands

23859222710_1e7958c380_c.jpg

23859223670_2f9f7c47dd_c.jpg

24072262351_90c82c5b6d_c.jpg

24046796902_5aae890c31_c.jpg

That Metro must be a rare survivor!

Here is a pic of a German reg. 124 Estate in Cavan town yesterday .1995ish?
    Nice 320 engined version.

First two not so old mid 90s but pretty clean examples

qq8z7p.jpg

Vaux corsa only an LS model but someone has changed interior in it as it has the 99 corsa viva seats and door trims and also has electric mirrors and windows.

2rc66vl.jpg

318is e36 needs a bit of a wash and polish but its in great shape

and to finish off

2ntjwu8.jpg

A nice workhorse of a 305 gld estate think its 85 or 86 on ZV Dublin plates?????

Edit: dont know what i did wrong they all came out sideways this time..

Very nice. I absolutely love the 305. Old diesel Peugeots as the cliché goes, will go forever. The ZV plate is an import (no letter in front) but it seems to be Rhd, so from England presumably?

Very nice. I absolutely love the 305. Old diesel Peugeots as the cliché goes, will go forever. The ZV plate is an import (no letter in front) but it seems to be Rhd, so from England presumably?

I thought zv was 85 dublin ohh well. Yhh it was rhd. I liked the 305 too my best mate had a 305 gti years ago it was a beauty and a very very rare car in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Duke do you know anything about the Xi carina, a lot cheaper than the Xli. I never heard of them. Great list, I'd like a liteace and a supra.

mayota wrote: »
    Duke do you know anything about the Xi carina, a lot cheaper than the Xli. I never heard of them. Great list, I'd like a liteace and a supra.

The Xi was the very basic entry level carina they both had same 1.6 engine just the Xli had colour coded bumpers and mirrors and the added bits in the interior where as the Xi had black bumpers and basic seats ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

The Xi was the very basic entry level carina they both had same 1.6 engine just the Xli had colour coded bumpers and mirrors and the added bits in the interior where as the Xi had black bumpers and basic seats ect.

No doubt the XI would have been the default choice for farmerssmile.png

No doubt the XI would have been the default choice for farmerssmile.png

Id say they had the diesel variant of it, there is an awful lot of carina e still on the road in the country and they can be seen pulling some fairly large contraptions of horse boxes.

• Advertisement

Looking at that list it just makes you realise how boring cars have got. Maybe I'm wrong but does any manufacturer have a lineup now that would include rivals for the mr2 and the supra models and Carlos sainze edition celica they were all mighty fine cars.

Looking at that list it just makes you realise how boring cars have got. Maybe I'm wrong but does any manufacturer have a lineup now that would include rivals for the mr2 and the supra models and Carlos sainze edition celica they were all mighty fine cars.

Or the Carina GTI

Remember the days when mid size family saloons were 1.8 or 2.0 petrol? No such thing these days for the most part

Or the Carina GTI

Remember the days when mid size family saloons were 1.8 or 2.0 petrol? No such thing these days for the most part

Ahh stop wasn't only Toyota sure the Renault 19 16v what a car ha the cavalier Sri the ford's for fek sake. Cars now are restricted because of tax and emissions and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Hmm, Im curious now, saw plenty of black bumper models and all were Xli. Never saw or heard of an xi.

mayota wrote: »
    Hmm, Im curious now, saw plenty of black bumper models and all were Xli. Never saw or heard of an xi.

Ha well im wrong on that end of it then. It has to be a base model eitherway. I thought at first it was an 8 valve engine compaired to the 16 valve but I think all the Carina e came with the Leanburn engine.

Well,

In October 92 the XLi is listed with alarm & immobiliser and electric tilt & slide sunroof as standard over the Xi which had nothing (sunroof not available)

No automatic transmission available, though air con, alloys, CD, and spoiler(!) are optional

Met a cream1972 Citroen DS near Dolphins Barn in Dublin today. Looked an everyday driver. Nice to see a 44 year old mixing it in modern traffic and horrible weather.

Saw this drop dead georgous Mercedes 6.3 parked near the RDS.

zp4wj2M.jpg

I know that very Merc. I used to pass it regularly last year when my then-girlfriend's mother lived up the road.

Was the DS a 72-D reg by chance? I used to see a white/cream one that was by no means pristine near there too.

Yep, 72 D 784 , or 847 , something like that. Rubbing strip missing on right hand side.

• Advertisement

Yep, 72 D 784 , or 847 , something like that. Rubbing strip missing on right hand side.

:)

9265908624_7740da43ef_c.jpg

Advertisement