Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving on a P1 licence in Ireland?

Options
  • 20-10-2013 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Heading home for Christmas. I live in NSW and hold a P1 licence, has anyone or does anyone know if I am ok to drive on this when I am at home?

Cheers
    Linola

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Is the P1 a provisional?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

It's a provisional here but means that you have passed your test, which I guess is the equivilent of a full licence at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Batgurl wrote: »

But how do they define "full license". There's no license in Australia called that.
    And to further cloudy the matter;
    The get an irish full license, you need to sit a theory test, and then a in-car test. To get an aussie P1 you need to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

A P1 and P2 license is part of the graduated license scheme in Australia.

A P1 can be classed as a provisional license as it has special conditions imposed on the driver.

You need a full drivers license and it appears Australia does have a FULL license

Edit: NSW Licensing Authority

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Or for an NSW driver; a FULL licence is only attained after spending one year on your P1's and two years on your P2's.

Edit: Boffin got in before me :)

TheBoffin wrote: »
    You need a full drivers license and it appears Australia does have a FULL license
    So it does. Apologies.

I recently got a ear full from a moody cow at the RTA when I asked about changing my irish full to an aussie full. I was told "there's no such item as a full license, its called an unrestricted license"
    I told her I didn't care what it called and she wasn't too impressed. Would of been handy to have you there Boffin to put her in her place ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

You might find this thread useful. Its a little old and not sure if things have changed in Aus

TheBoffin wrote: »
    You might find this thread useful. Its a little old and not sure if things have changed in Aus

I got the license without too much fuss. Just had to come back a different day with a copy of my visa. They would only give me a 1 year one as its a temp visa.

Advertisement