Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shooting on your own land

Options
  • 20-10-2013 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi Guys, looking for a bit of advice on this. Was out shooting some clay pigeons in my field (Quite a big field with some high hills so perfect for clays etc) . When a local farmer from the other side of the hill came over and in quite an aggressive manner told me how the sound of the shotgun was scaring his horses. he dint ask me to stop shooting but the way he spoke to me was stop shooting or i will make you stop. so i appoligised said i would stop , he didnt say thanks or anything and just drove off.

I was wondering if i didnt stop , and say he called the cops or something can he stop me from shooting on my land? have a licence and when i registered the shotgun i put down that is was for clay pigeon shooting. I wouldnt mind if he asked me nicley to stop, but next time im shooting and he comes over and speaks to me like that , want to tell him he can f$%k off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

You would be disturbing the public peace.

Mabye a silencer if you have a semi auto?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

How much land do you have and how far are you from his house or any other abode?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭vex

Thanks for the replys. The field is a good few acres (not sure the exact number) . His house would probly be half a kilometer or away from mine.

Is it even possible to get a silencer for a pump action shotgun?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Clay pigeon shooting is not classed as target shooting so once the guns are licensed, you've permission for the land, and the relevant insurance then you are fine.

However as said above there is a noise issue. Had the other lad called the Gardaí they may have asked you to stop based on this.

So unfortunately you will not get a clear cut answer. Perhaps instead of trying to find the legal right to tell him to go away you might consider going to him the next time you want to shoot a few and telling him you are going to, and see if he has his horses in the area. IOW play ball.

If it's your land surely you know your neighbours and can talk to him?

As for silencer for a shotgun. No. I'm sure one can be gotten or made, but not easily and not without authorisation on your license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Beebawagon

Contact your local Garda gun officer, if they've an issue they will tell you stop.

• Advertisement

Lads don't go the "sledgehammer to a peanut" route.

Involving the Gardaí for a minor dispute, when talking might solve the issue, may actually lead to more problems than it solves. Plus i'd hazard a guess the Garda will tell you the same. To try sort it out between ye. No one has broken any laws so far so the Gardaí have limited to no options really.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Thanks for that. know most of the locals around around my area, but not the chap who came down (might of been a son of one the farmers I haven't met yet and since he didnt give his name before he drove off will have to ask around who he was) .

Thanks for the advice , will keep an eye out for a suppressor ( if there is one) and speak to my local garda Sergeant about amending my licence if I find one.

vex wrote: »
    Thanks for that. know most of the locals around around my area, but not the chap who came down (might of been a son of one the farmers I haven't met yet and since he didnt give his name before he drove off will have to ask around who he was) .
    Do.

You'd be surprised at the amount of times these things happen only for the other party to e someone that has no land, not related to the land owner, etc. that simply does not want you shooting.
    .............. will keep an eye out for a suppressor ( if there is one) and speak to my local garda Sergeant about amending my licence if I find one.
    Suppressing a shotgun is no easy task, and without being insulting towards the poster above that mentioned them, i think he spoke in error and haste.

You will not find a suppressor for a shotgun let alone a semi auto here. They have to be custom made/fitted, and are expensive as all hell. Plus trying to validate the reason why you need it to your FO is more trouble than it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Cass wrote: »
    Suppressing a shotgun is no easy task, and without being insulting towards the poster above that mentioned them, i think he spoke in error and haste.

You will not find a suppressor for a shotgun let alone a semi auto here. They have to be custom made/fitted, and are expensive as all hell. Plus trying to validate the reason why you need it to your FO is more trouble than it's worth.

No offence taken :P

410's can be fitted with a silencer easily... thought something could be got for a 12g too

http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/Gunroom/SG_Hushpower.htm

How about this says something about a hushpower silenced Mossberg 12g Pump-Action Shotgun too much to read :P

http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/Gunroom/hushpower/gunmart_review_12%20hp_mb.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 onemoredead

lol, " next time " tell to go away and f**k himself!!

I'm shooting, clays most weeks for last 20+ yrs, on my own lands, and had some horse'y dude with horses few fields away!!
    "try'd", tell,me stop few years ago!!

And, i told him where to go and he was trespassing,etc.... I never heard a peep from him from that day, .... to this...:)

As , you "not near any house or roads,anyone fullstop " Ihave 10 horses across da road on other lands, and they dont even blink now, GET USED TO IT!!!
    If I'm firing, any thing from 12g, clays, line up........ :)

As, for guards, f**k all can be done...when away from houses and roads, etc!! and have your permits!!!

Enjoy, your bit of clay shooting!! "don't mind the auld muppet @ all" :):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Beebawagon

Gun supers are very nice and are there to help you. "Let's not go down that route" bull is prob someone who got on the wrong side of his/her officials or doesn't have a licence. If they say "ya you are allowed to shoot here between these hours....the chap with horses just has to get over it. There to help you not go against you. The law is the law so know your rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Beebawagon wrote: »
    Gun supers are very nice and are there to help you. "Let's not go down that route" bull is prob someone who got on the wrong side of his/her officials or doesn't have a licence. If they say "ya you are allowed to shoot here between these hours....the chap with horses just has to get over it. There to help you not go against you. The law is the law so know your rights.

You have no rights in relation to firearms ownership. The core issue at the heart of a superintendent's discretion in licensing matters is whether the applicant can possess a firearm without endangering the peace or the safety of the public. If your neighbour complains about the amount of noise and the Gardai determine that that's a legitimate complaint, I would not bet against some unfriendly attention from your locals, as it might be interpreted as not being in keeping with that central tenet of the reason you were deemed suitable in the first place. Sure, you might have some local Gardai or a local super who says the lad with the horses needs to cop on, but they might not, and since if they decide in his favour you might not come out of it well, I'd agree with Cass and try deal with the guy face to face rather than using the Gardai as leverage.

Beebawagon wrote: »
    Gun supers are very nice and are there to help you.
    What are "gun Supers"?
    "Let's not go down that route" bull is prob someone who got on the wrong side of his/her officials or doesn't have a licence.
    What is this?

I said there is no need to go straight to the Gardaí as there is nothing they can do.
    If they say "ya you are allowed to shoot here between these hours....the chap with horses just has to get over it.
    Who is "they"?
    There to help you not go against you. The law is the law so know your rights.
    Again, who is they?

As It wasn't me! said just because you involve the Gardaí does not guarantee a positive outcome in your favour. Also all the talk of a Super getting involved. Not a hope. The best you can expect is a regualr member of An Gardaí.

1shot16 wrote: »
    No offence taken :P
    Genuinely not being a dick, just saying.

Suppressors for shotguns are few and far between. Not only due to "good reason" for them, but the availability of them. I mean what could you say? For clays, well everyone else will have an unsilenced one so thats out. For game, possibly, but a push.

Again talking might save all this grief, and expense. Plus it might turn out that the person involved (not the OP) has no business telling the OP to keep it down or stop it. IOW no ownership of land the horses are on, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

First if all you need to figure out exactly how far you are from any house not just the mad lads. Then figure out how far away from his horses you are.
    Find out how big your own field is.

To be honest it sounds like your not to sure of any off that information. Which should be the first thing you should know. How far his house from your house is irrelevant. It's how far anything and every thing is from your shooting position.

Make 100% sure the direction in which your shooting is safe. It might not be his complaint the guards will will use an an excuse to shut you down.

When you have all that figured out and befor you have another shot drop around to him and tell him you will be out. Don't get into laws and distances with him I don't think there is any point. As he is proberly just going to be difficult. And if he approachs you in such a rude manner again and your in the right well then.
    Then just shoot way. No need for the **** offs or anything it's just decreasing your chances. And it just doesn't look good on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

I would shoot away. Tell him the horses will get used to the noise :p

Around my area people that own horses tend to think that they own the countryside too. We have had them break holes in our ditches on family land and make horrible tracks going down across the river and they had no permission. We all have to live here together, dont get me wrong I wouldnt go shooting around a field of horses when out and about, I always make sure to leave 1 field between myself and them. But the fact he came onto YOUR land giving you orders..... The first thing I would do is buying a few slabs of cartridges and a few boxes of clays.

He could have been polite and explained the problem like a civil person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Snakezilla wrote: »

He could have been polite and explained the problem like a civil person.

Here is where the problem lays for me.

When Hunams behave like Hominids is where things always go awry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Clay pigeon shooting falls out side of regulations governing 'ranges' and 'target shooting'. But there are measures in regards to safety templates that need to be observed.

The biggest issue with clay pigeon shooting 'can be' noise pollution. It is probably one of the only shooting sports here in this country that does sound like a Mexican Wedding.
    A lot of clay grounds are isolated or designed in such a way as to muffle sound.

In my experience horse owners tend to be a little sensitive about thier blood stock when it comes to gun fire.

Couple these together and the OP may be challenged on his activities and ownership of land does not give them absolute right.

As has been opinioned here, I would advise compromise over confrontation whether it be passive or aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

Tell him to keep the horses off your land.
    That will highlight that it's your land! Not his.

You are entitled to use your land to shoot as he is to keep horses on his.
    Imagine going up to him to telling him his horses are making noise neighing and running disturbing you.

I do think some people jump into the jeep all hot headed, to catch someone shooting on their land, only to find its in another field, but then go on with rude senseless bull regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭no12

You can also get some Subsonic shotgun ammunition which will reduce the noise though it is more expensive than than standard ammunition. About €65 a slab.

Also if you want to do this regularly could be worth getting 4 large square bales and making a stand in between them stack 2 up either side of each other in a V shape leaving a gap in the middle to shoot from. They will absorb a lot of noise when the shot leaves the barrel. Seen it work before and is very effective.

After that you are entitled to shoot on your land but if you don't want to upset the neighbour worth approaching him and showing him you are making an effort to reduce the noise if he is still not happy then tell him to go and sh**e

Not much the Garda can do unless he (the neighbour) wants to bring you to court himself which I don't think he would given the cost. Worth giving the local county council a ring and see what they say if you are unsure

• Advertisement

Hi Guys , Thanks again for all the advice and imput. I will try out the sub sonic rounds and try stacking bales together to suppress the noise even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Yes,do exist and are becoming now abit more common.

http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/Gunroom/SG_Hushpower.htm

However,they can make a shotgun handle like a scaffold pole,but maybe thats just moi.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

If it was "my" field I'd know exactly what the acreage was.

I get a whiff of trolling off this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Suppressor for the shotgun is the most stupid idea I've read yet..

Have you ever held one? It turns a shotgun into a fecking RSJ!!

You wouldn't even need to shoot either just poke the clays out of the sky.

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

If you want to measure distances between where you shoot and this lads house you can use this app.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trimble.outdoors.cabelas.hunt

Aside from that its a right handy app anyway.

If you want to measure distances between where you shoot and this lads house you can use this app.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trimble.outdoors.cabelas.hunt

Aside from that its a right handy app anyway.

Does that app work in Ireland? Does it allow you to measure the distance between 2 points like to see how far you shot something etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Snakezilla wrote: »
    Does that app work in Ireland? Does it allow you to measure the distance between 2 points like to see how far you shot something etc.

Yeah. And the satellite imagery is 100 times better than google earth. You can see where all the tracks, roads, gates, gaps etc are and record your route. Handy in the woods if you need a reminder to find your way out again.
    You can set waypoints to mark where you took a shot from and where you hit and measure between the two.
    Savage little app.

Just downloaded it for €3.81.........wow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Bit late entering this thread,but I just want to make my 2cents known.

Not every horse in a field is just a mare used for hunting, many of these horses are highly valuable for breeding. More so for flat racing, mares could be in foal or with a foal in a field.
    These animals are fed high protein diets, so are quite energetic and jumpy.

In future consider other peoples livelihoods, known your facts i.e acreage (of "your" field) and also if you do decide to shoot, shoot on a day with the wind blowing away from livestock and alert the neighbors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Hunter21 wrote: »
    Bit late entering this thread,but I just want to make my 2cents known.

Not every horse in a field is just a mare used for hunting, many of these horses are highly valuable for breeding. More so for flat racing, mares could be in foal or with a foal in a field.
    These animals are fed high protein diets, so are quite energetic and jumpy.

In future consider other peoples livelihoods, known your facts i.e acreage (of "your" field) and also if you do decide to shoot, shoot on a day with the wind blowing away from livestock and alert the neighbors.

Yes because the hunting/horsey set are so considerate of other people aren't they ? More than once i watched the hunt in kildare bulldoze someones fences and trespass even though the landowner had forbid them from entering his property. I also watched while the entire hunt progressed through a relation of mines field of mares in foal, one of which was run through a ditch and was torn to shreds. Get real.

Advertisement