Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with older dog

• 20-10-2013 12:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭

hi im looking for some advice please. ive got a 17 yo mungral collie that is coming towards the end of her time with us :(. She is having trouble standing up ect. she has a large lump on her lower jaw that im convinced is an abscess.She is not eating because of it and is growing very weak.

We have brought her to a vet who did not give a great out look for her but gave her an injection of steroids and anti biotics and he believed the lump to be cancer. well the lump disappeared after the second injection and the dog was in great form...back eating and having a half decent standard of living and putting back on some of the weight she had lost. the third time we went down for the injection the vet told us that she should run her course as the injections are only prolonging the inevitable. He said he could knock the dog out and take a better look at her mouth but he wasnt very enthusiastic to do this.

the problem i have now is after a week the swelling is back and she is becoming weak again. I dont want to give up on the poor thing but i dont want to be cruel either by letting her suffer. i suppose i was looking for some advice on whether i should go ahead and have her knocked out to look at a possible abscess or should i have her put down.

cheers
    Tommy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Letting our pets go is one of the hardest decisions we have to make. 17 is a great age for a dog and you obviously care for it and don't want it suffer needlessly.

Unfortunately only you, in conjunction with advice from your vet, can make the decision. These links might help you in the process.

The first looks at HHHMMM scale and I think its very informative : http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=1523

The second is a good article on the matter. http://shine.yahoo.com/pets/know-time-euthanize-pet-162100593.html.

I found the bit about owners waiting two weeks to long to make the decision very interesting. My own dog developed a cancer and we decided as the medications were not working to let her go. On the day we brought her to vets she was in good form, she sat, wagged her tail and was generally happy out. But we knew only hours earlier she had been ill, wasn't holding down food or fluids and she would only get worse. We decided to let her go. I did wonder did I let her go too early but the article gave me great comfort and now I know I did the right thing. The dog would have only gotten worse and why would I let my pet fall into worse health just so I could have her for a few weeks longer.

Im not saying you need to let your dog go. You will have to look at the whole situation and assess it. I hope you find the links useful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

thanks very much...im finding it very difficult to make a decision and that has helped me some what...i will have a few looks back over it over the coming days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Tommy, know how you're feeling - just had our ancient collie put to sleep a few weeks ago - torture to make a decision and torture to do it, but this is the last thing you can do for your dog. How lucky was your dog to have 17 years, and a good owner who cares enough to want to keep her for a bit longer,

At 17 years old your vet probably isnt happy to give your dog an anaesthetic - her heart will probably have trouble with an anaesthetic. If it would make you feel better maybe go and see a second vet for a second opinion - it might make it easier for you to make the decision either way?

very best wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭el pasco

hi im looking for some advice please. ive got a 17 yo mungral collie that is coming towards the end of her time with us :(. She is having trouble standing up ect. she has a large lump on her lower jaw that im convinced is an abscess.She is not eating because of it and is growing very weak.

We have brought her to a vet who did not give a great out look for her but gave her an injection of steroids and anti biotics and he believed the lump to be cancer. well the lump disappeared after the second injection and the dog was in great form...back eating and having a half decent standard of living and putting back on some of the weight she had lost. the third time we went down for the injection the vet told us that she should run her course as the injections are only prolonging the inevitable. He said he could knock the dog out and take a better look at her mouth but he wasnt very enthusiastic to do this.

the problem i have now is after a week the swelling is back and she is becoming weak again. I dont want to give up on the poor thing but i dont want to be cruel either by letting her suffer. i suppose i was looking for some advice on whether i should go ahead and have her knocked out to look at a possible abscess or should i have her put down.

cheers
    Tommy

So sorry to hear about your dog Tommy and I hope that whatever you decided to do but I suppose as her owner to want to try and do your best for her so ask your vet and maybe a second opinion and try and do all you can cause I know that you want her to have as long and happy life as possible so maybe the vet to knock her out to see what's wrong with her and then you can have a more rounded picture if the situation as once you put her down that's it and if you're not 100% sure you researched all options then it might haunt you so at least if you knock her you will have explored all options and will be at peace with your decision

You might like to make a video of your dog before she goes and take some pictures etc or take her to her favourite park give her favourite meal etc

When your dog goes you can either bury her say in your garden or cremate her and put her in a small box or jar for say your mantle piece with her photo on it

Best if luck and cherish your memories of your dog

Advertisement