Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just want to ask a few questions....

Options
  • 20-10-2013 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

Hi - I posted a thread in here in ages past but I wanted to start a new one now that will hopefully help guide me towards my goal of moving over there by the end of 2014 or very early 2015

I have been out of work for 4 years and am considering a move to Canada at the end of 2014. What routes can I go with the education and experience that I have.

Education
    I have a BSc (Ord) in Pharmaceutical Manufacture (DIT - graduated in 2006), A Fetac Cert in eBusiness and have started a 1 year (NFQ Level 8) BSc Honours in Medical Device Innovation at DIT via springboard. How hard is it to get work in the sciences and medical devices out in Canada? How well will my BSc (Ord) in Pharmaceutical Manufacture be recognised? How well will my one year BSc Honours be recognised may I ask if I get it? Will it be just recognised as an add-on or a full Honours BSc?

Options
    What work is available out there for the likes of me?
    What is it like as a country and for someone who is possibly looking to build a future out there

Sorry for the general nature of this query so I just thought I would ask here :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Dave, looks for companies through Google in the big Canada cities and email the same question you asked here to them. You may well get an answer and some direction. I did this back in 90's before i moved over on PR. The very first person I emailed put me on to someone who led me to a job when I arrived and set us up. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Dave, looks for companies through Google in the big Canada cities and email the same question you asked here to them. You may well get an answer and some direction. I did this back in 90's before i moved over on PR. The very first person I emailed put me on to someone who led me to a job when I arrived and set us up. Good luck.

Cheers Ciaran - What is Vancouver like may I ask?

Cheers Ciaran - What is Vancouver like may I ask?

Vancouver is a lovely city full of very nice if not slightly dull people. I really enjoy my life here but I have been here for quite a while and have Canadian citizenship, so its easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

For pharma I recommend looking at the Guelph area. Quite a few big boys there (my wife studied pharmaceutical chemistry so I happened to pick up a few bits and bobs about what's where)

Cheers folks - would i be better going through IEC or the federal workers program may I ask? I intend to move out there permanently so what route would be the best for that?

• Advertisement

Cheers folks - would i be better going through IEC or the federal workers program may I ask? I intend to move out there permanently so what route would be the best for that?

PR (permanent residency) and then apply for citizenship after 3 or 4 years. They are looking at their citizenship process I understand. Have a look at the points system, you may qualify with your qualifications for PR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Vancouver is a lovely city full of very nice if not slightly dull people. I really enjoy my life here but I have been here for quite a while and have Canadian citizenship, so its easier.

+1

Vancouver is a beautiful city, and there is lots to do.
    Downsides are that it is inordinately expensive (groceries, property, nights out on the beer, tickets to sporting events, concerts etc.)
    For me, in IT, the wages are lower than Ireland, which is obviously a huge downside.
    The people are really nice, very genuine, but a sense of humour is absent 99% of the time which is unfortunate.

I was in Toronto on a trip before and Vancouver blows it out of the water in terms of the city itself, but both are very expensive, although Toronto might be a better option in terms of work.

Calgary is probably the best bet for work.

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    +1

Vancouver is a beautiful city, and there is lots to do.
    Downsides are that it is inordinately expensive (groceries, property, nights out on the beer, tickets to sporting events, concerts etc.)
    For me, in IT, the wages are lower than Ireland, which is obviously a huge downside.
    The people are really nice, very genuine, but a sense of humour is absent 99% of the time which is unfortunate.

I was in Toronto on a trip before and Vancouver blows it out of the water in terms of the city itself, but both are very expensive, although Toronto might be a better option in terms of work.

Calgary is probably the best bet for work.

Calgary has what industries may I ask? Have you been up there?

Advertisement