Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things In American Football That Grind Your Gears

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Thursday night games
    Prime time Saturday games at the end of the season and in the playoffs

The Thurdsay night games usually means one less 4pm ET Sunday kickoff, and thus one less option for me at 9pm Irish time, which is the time I most get to sit down and properly watch a game

I used to love the 1pm or 4pm Saturday games in December once the NCAA season was done, now they are at 8pm etc and it's the same with playoff games.
    When I lived in the US the early Saturday games where a great way to pass a Saturday afternoon and avoid Christmas shopping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I don't like the Thursday night game idea. Get rid of them puhleeeeeeeeeze.

Also, it's pretty much pointless listening to player interviews (apart from the odd few). They all say the same BS, working hard to get better, 1 game at a time, feeling good, O D STs, cliche after cliche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

adrian522 wrote: »

That refers to the inappropriate use of a Nazi analogy. We where discussing Americas armed forces and the wars they fight, so referencing Hitler/Nazis/WWII is completely appropriate.

Hey look I can post links too...

https://www.google.ie/search?q=appropriate&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

The shortness of the NFL season. 17 weeks, another few for those that reach the playoffs. 4 months playing for most teams.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That refers to the inappropriate use of a Nazi analogy.

Exactly.

The shortness of the NFL season. 17 weeks, another few for those that reach the playoffs. 4 months playing for most teams.

There has always been a calmour for ditching two pre season games and adding two regualr season games, but with the recent high profile debates about long term player health an extended season is not something that is going to happen any-time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Challenges: With all the technology/camera angels available, I don't see why the head official needs to go under a booth to make a decision. Should be done by an official upstairs for the majority of calls and only in exceptional circumstances should an official need to go under the booth.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

The TD celebration penalty.
    Just leave the players celebrate any way they want to (within reason of course), without the fear of drawing a penalty. A pretty silly rule in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Lionbacker wrote: »
    The TD celebration penalty.
    Just leave the players celebrate any way they want to (within reason of course), without the fear of drawing a penalty. A pretty silly rule in my opinion.

Totally agree. They had some really good ones back in the 70's and 80's. Nowadays the NFL's called the No Fun League. And with good reason!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Punters. Seriously how are they so bad at kicking. Same with kickers. but especially punters.

Also some of the tackling they do from behind is laughable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Arawn wrote: »
    Punters. Seriously how are they so bad at kicking. Same with kickers. but especially punters.

Also some of the tackling they do from behind is laughable

What's so bad about booting the ball 65 yards with little run-up or time to get the ball away (while having to give it plenty of hangtime)? One thing I don't get though is why punters are so insistent on relying on the bounce of the ball when kicking it inside the 20, as opposed to aiming it out of bounds.

matthew8 wrote: »
    What's so bad about booting the ball 65 yards with little run-up or time to get the ball away (while having to give it plenty of hangtime)? One thing I don't get though is why punters are so insistent on relying on the bounce of the ball when kicking it inside the 20, as opposed to aiming it out of bounds.
    This is what I meant. A decent kicker should be able to get it the **** out of bounds.

I just loathe the way they kick. IT should be better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

This is what I meant. A decent kicker should be able to get it the **** out of bounds.

I just loathe the way they kick. IT should be better

Its very different kicking to rugby where a good out half can find touch easily and often. If punters were to kick like rugby players they would get blocked more times than not.

Direction and height should be possible for a professional kicker. They mainly **** it up in the air virtually dead center of the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

TaosHum wrote: »
    Challenges: With all the technology/camera angels available, I don't see why the head official needs to go under a booth to make a decision. Should be done by an official upstairs for the majority of calls and only in exceptional circumstances should an official need to go under the booth.

Same here, i don't see why there isn't a ref sitting in the stands making the call. Most of the time is spent with the ref running from one part of the field to the TV to watch the replay and back to the field to make a call.

Although in rugby, with the TV Match Official, they can be pretty slow too.

• Advertisement

Exactly.

I put that dictionary link in for a laugh but you should probably read it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

If you think a Hitler reference is appropriate to this discussion then fair enough, I'll leave you to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

If you are all for it then why stop at 1 month?
    Why not a whole season of pink?

Or perhaps November is testical month, December brain cancer month.... January is for the bowel... Etc.

Can never have enough "awareness".

Yea your right. Why bother highlighting something that caused over 39,000 deaths in America this year.

Or cancer in General which causes over 8,000 deaths a year in Ireland.

Like I said I'm not naive enough to think that it's entirely noble on the part of the NFL but they need to be applauded for doing even a small bit & you need to be less condescending about something so serious (or not if you feel that way)

The one thing I don't agree with was they nfl almost stopped a player from playing a game for refusing to wear pink boots. He wanted to wear green for national mental health week, which iirc he took medication for, or some of his family did. To me that is pathetic from the nfl

The one thing I don't agree with was they nfl almost stopped a player from playing a game for refusing to wear pink boots. He wanted to wear green for national mental health week, which iirc he took medication for, or some of his family did. To me that is pathetic from the nfl

It was Brandon Marshall. He got a fine of $10,500 which he is matching with a donation to the charity. I think the NFL should have came out to say they were going to donate his fine as well but they have said nothing.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000264467/article/chicago-bears-brandon-marshall-fined-10500-for-green-shoes

https://mobile.twitter.com/BMarshall/status/390429828232400896/photo/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Michael Irvin, Sapp, Sanders and pretty much everyone else. Horrific humour that is so tiresome.

Warren Sapp trying to prance around the studio like a prima ballerina, now that really grinds my gears. Settle da fúck down Warren, keep calm and do your job. If I want to look at a clown, I'll go to the circus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Yea your right. Why bother highlighting something that caused over 39,000 deaths in America this year.

Or cancer in General which causes over 8,000 deaths a year in Ireland.

Like I said I'm not naive enough to think that it's entirely noble on the part of the NFL but they need to be applauded for doing even a small bit & you need to be less condescending about something so serious (or not if you feel that way)
    The horse! Look at the height of the horse!

On topic: roughing the passer penalties. As Cyril Farrell would say "c'mon ger, tis no place for boys"

"

Honestly don't know how to reply to that but enjoy your snide comments. I'm done making my point

Honestly don't know how to reply to that but enjoy your snide comments. I'm done making my point

I had written another snide comment, but deleted. No hard feelings, hopefully...

My point was just that, in a fairly light-hearted thread where people air a few things that slightly irritate them, it seemed to me fairly disingenuous to go off on one about cancer and caring and all of that jazz. I don't think anyone is suggesting that funding cancer research is a bad thing, so I don't think there's any need to go claiming the moral high ground. It's just the extreme cynicism of the whole NFL breast cancer thing that, obviously, bothers posters.

Not me though. And on that point, I look forward to next year's rectal cancer awareness drive. A whole month of discussing rectums and rectal health, and making people conscious of the risk to their rectum from what is (genuinely) a very dangerous and threatening disease that is much less researched and about which there is much, much less awareness of the risk factors.

Yeah, I don't think so either...

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

For the life of me I can't understand how you'd take issue with the breast cancer awareness programme. It's been an unmitigated financial success and, certainly for me, adds something to the spectacle.

There are some things for which you just don't need to be cynical; not least pulling strawmen from the air on the one month duration or choice of charity.

As for Marshall the week couldn't have turned out better. The awareness raised was beyond what he could have imagioned. Half of Chicago turning green was just sweet.

It was Brandon Marshall of the Chicago Bears. He suffers from ADHD (IIRC) and does take medication for. The fine he had to pay for the green boots he donated to his foundation.

For me I have an issue with the whole Breast Cancer awareness. I feel it's more than just a little bit cynical on the part of the NFL.

Also raising "awareness" of breast cancer is a little pointless, people are more "aware" of breast cancer than they are of any other cancer, there are more checks for breast cancer than any other.

I think it would be a lot more beneficial of the NFL to highlight other forms of cancer that are treatable with early detection than spending all this time on something that already gets loads of exposure.

Of course that's not as good for the NFL as having players wearing pink, selling extra merchandise and getting a load of extra women watching the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

On topic: roughing the passer penalties. As Cyril Farrell would say "c'mon ger, tis no place for boys"

Cyrill Farrell is one of the worst going tbh. Absolutely rubbish pundit and anything he says should be ignored.

For me I have an issue with the whole Breast Cancer awareness. I feel it's more than just a little bit cynical on the part of the NFL.

Also raising "awareness" of breast cancer is a little pointless, people are more "aware" of breast cancer than they are of any other cancer, there are more checks for breast cancer than any other.

I think it would be a lot more beneficial of the NFL to highlight other forms of cancer that are treatable with early detection than spending all this time on something that already gets loads of exposure.

Of course that's not as good for the NFL as having players wearing pink, selling extra merchandise and getting a load of extra women watching the sport.

That statement is both pathetic and pedantic at the same time
    It's all about awareness and reminding people, stop trying to split hairs

Of course there is an upside for the NFL with the pink gear, but that is the reality in the world we live in
    Back in 2005 Nike released a football shirt half black half white as part of an anti racism drive in soccer, in cooperation with some anti-racism group
    The shirt was launched for international friendlies and was worn by teams for those friendlies
    But BBC Radio 5 were not invited to the press launch of the shirt, why not ?
    Because it was as much about Nike marketing the shirt as the anti-racism group making their message heard, and the radio news station is not as good a place to launch the shirt as the TV news station.
    The same could be said about the NFL and breast cancer awareness, it's as much about the NFL selling the gear as the message getting across, but at the end of the day it's a small price to pay for getting the message across

As for the Brandon Marshall think, it was not in the spirit of anything but it was certainly within the rights of the NFL to prevent him wearing green shoes to promote a cause.
    It's a bit like the Chad Johnson and his name tag think back in the day

If you think a Hitler reference is appropriate to this discussion then fair enough, I'll leave you to it.

It was in response to a comment along the lines of "what the US military does overseas is a disgrace"

I balanced the argument by pointing out the good the same forces have done overseas.

So yes it was appropriate.

• Advertisement

Red Crow wrote: »
    Cyrill Farrell is one of the worst going tbh. Absolutely rubbish pundit and anything he says should be ignored.

Well, I still get irritated by the extent to which QBs are wrapped in cotton wool. I mean, I understand WHY the league would do it, but I don't have to like it.

It was in response to a comment along the lines of "what the US military does overseas is a disgrace"

I balanced the argument by pointing out the good the same forces have done overseas.

So yes it was appropriate.

Yeah but it's a discussion about stuff that annoys people. Surely the fact that America, along with its ally Joseph Stalin, won WWII is kind of incidental to the fact that the veneration of the military is a bit annoying? It would still be annoying even if, I dunno, the military cured breast cancer or something...

Why do you say that?

Now you're sounding like a real idiot. Condescending too. Which as a woman I take exception to. I've been following and watching American Football for over 30 years. Probably longer than you've been alive. Do you not watch the games on TV? How many women do YOU see at the games? They probably know more about the game than you do...

That statement is both pathetic and pedantic at the same time
    It's all about awareness and reminding people, stop trying to split hairs

Of course there is an upside for the NFL with the pink gear, but that is the reality in the world we live in
    Back in 2005 Nike released a football shirt half black half white as part of an anti racism drive in soccer, in cooperation with some anti-racism group
    The shirt was launched for international friendlies and was worn by teams for those friendlies
    But BBC Radio 5 were not invited to the press launch of the shirt, why not ?
    Because it was as much about Nike marketing the shirt as the anti-racism group making their message heard, and the radio news station is not as good a place to launch the shirt as the TV news station.
    The same could be said about the NFL and breast cancer awareness, it's as much about the NFL selling the gear as the message getting across, but at the end of the day it's a small price to pay for getting the message across

As for the Brandon Marshall think, it was not in the spirit of anything but it was certainly within the rights of the NFL to prevent him wearing green shoes to promote a cause.
    It's a bit like the Chad Johnson and his name tag think back in the day

Thanks for calling my post pathetic, you obviously took the time to read it. My point was that there is already plenty awareness out there for breast cancer while that exposure would be much better off given to other types of cancer but don't let that get in the way of your rant.

Condescending too... I've been following and watching American Football for over 30 years. Probably longer than you've been alive...They probably know more about the game than you do...

And you have the town halls to call someone else condescending?

And your point would be???

Why do you say that?

Now you're sounding like a real idiot. Condescending too. Which as a woman I take exception to. I've been following and watching American Football for over 30 years. Probably longer than you've been alive. Do you not watch the games on TV? How many women do YOU see at the games? They probably know more about the game than you do...

You've missed my point( not surprising I guess).

Yes I watch games and I understand that women go to games and probably know more than me ( I am an idiot after all, thanks for pointing that out) but I still think the pink gear is done to attract more women to the sport.

Also what does my age have to do with anything?

And your point would be???

That you're being incredibly condescending.

I would have thought that was obvious, but maybe the message went over your little head...

Town Halls isn't any rhyming slang I know. It's Niagras...

• Advertisement

Town Halls isn't any rhyming slang I know. It's Niagras...

Ah, touche!

Yeah but it's a discussion about stuff that annoys people. Surely the fact that America, along with its ally Joseph Stalin, won WWII is kind of incidental to the fact that the veneration of the military is a bit annoying? It would still be annoying even if, I dunno, the military cured breast cancer or something...

I didn't take homage with the fact that the NFL's promotion of the armed forces annoyed him. To each their own.

His/her comment regarding the atrocities they commit overseas is what prompted my hitler comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Discuss this civilly.

2 Infractions already handed out

Regarding the ads, like everyone else I get pissed off with how many breaks they have alright. On one hand though, I find American advertising really hilarious, the whole tone of it is so different than what we have here. But what's really irritating while watching football is how FEW ads there are, constantly repeating. Denis Leary spitting out about delivering pizza and his torque and getting the cap off your beer can f*** off. As someone else said, Aaron Rodgers and his Discount Doublecheck can f*** off. And dear God, Bud Lite (what's with the pissy light beers anyway, does nobody drink the regular Bud, Coors or Miller in America anymore?) and their "it's only crazy if it doesn't work"? They can f*** off, come back, and then f*** off again.

Regarding the ads, like everyone else I get pissed off with how many breaks they have alright. On one hand though, I find American advertising really hilarious, the whole tone of it is so different than what we have here. But what's really irritating while watching football is how FEW ads there are, constantly repeating. Denis Leary spitting out about delivering pizza and his torque and getting the cap off your beer can f*** off. As someone else said, Aaron Rodgers and his Discount Doublecheck can f*** off. And dear God, Bud Lite (what's with the pissy light beers anyway, does nobody drink the regular Bud, Coors or Miller in America anymore?) and their "it's only crazy if it doesn't work"? They can f*** off, come back, and then f*** off again.

It's the same on Setanta or Eurosport here for MNF. They play the same ads over n over n over. I have the Warranty Direct ad voiced by James Nesbitt engrained of my brain at this stage!!!

It's the same on Setanta or Eurosport here for MNF. They play the same ads over n over n over. I have the Warranty Direct ad voiced by James Nesbitt engrained of my brain at this stage!!!

Yeah Setanta's pretty terrible that way. I remember watching the old North American Sports Network for the 2006 Superbowl, and they just repeated a single ad for Xtravision over, and over, and over, all night, with no other ads. Which gave me two reasons to stop watching.

Three if you count the half time show.

That's another thing: the Superbowl half time show. And people who regard it as the best thing about the Superbowl...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I seen that Denis Leary ad in the States so much, very irritating!

Or whats worse was the Direct TV add where they basically have people as Giants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Nearly 100 posts? Seems theres a lot of stuff that people dont like.

Just thought of another one. Not really IN American football, but when you're watching/talking about AF and someone says something along the lines of "sure they're all wearing pads, anyone could do that. The rugby lads take much more punishment etc etc"

Arguing the point is a waste of oxygen because they've already decided it isn't the game for them, but they're the kind of people for whom not watching isn't enough, they also have to insult the sports they don't like/know anything about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

davyjose wrote: »

yeah, Hitler and cancer being the main things...

• Advertisement
Advertisement