Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things In American Football That Grind Your Gears

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Tom Brady......that is all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I've never understood why people have an issue with Tom Brady? I presume its just jealousy or am I missing something?

Hazys wrote: »
    I've never understood why people have an issue with Tom Brady? I presume its just jealousy or am I missing something?

Not jealousy.......it's just something with his attitude that bugs me. I completely respect his playing ability, just something about his character has always gotten on my nerve.

P_1 wrote: »
    Don't NFL teams have about 5 captains though? Bit of a difference between sending Leo Cullen/Stephen Cluxton up to collect the Heineken/Sam and sending Tom Brady and 4 others up to collect the Lombardi

Teams actually have unlimited captains, several teams have 6....the vikings only have 2....the Jets don't have any. There's still a hierarchy though, depicted by the starts and the color of the C on their patch.......but that's all irrelevant for the Superbowl where it's almost always the coach, owner and QB.

Not jealousy.......it's just something with his attitude that bugs me. I completely respect his playing ability, just something about his character has always gotten on my nerve.

C'mon like what? He doesn't say much compared to the majority of NFL players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

He comes across as humble as one could be when you are a multi-millionaire good looking Superbowl winning QB married to the world's highest paid supermodel. What must you think of Roethlisberger and countless other names in the sport if you don't like Brady's character?!

He comes across as humble as one could be when you are a multi-millionaire good looking Superbowl winning QB married to the world's highest paid supermodel. What must you think of Roethlisberger and countless other names in the sport if you don't like Brady's character?!

It's really his willingness to blame his receivers for everything......also, it seems as though he's turning to a ref looking for a roughing the passer call every time he gets touched in the backfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

It's really his willingness to blame his receivers for everything......also, it seems as though he's turning to a ref looking for a roughing the passer call every time he gets touched in the backfield.
    The second part perhaps although he's not alone in doing that, but I don't think I've ever really heard him blame his receivers in any sort of inappropriate or whiny way..? And it's not as if he'd be wrong this year anyway!

The second part perhaps although he's not alone in doing that, but I don't think I've ever really heard him blame his receivers in any sort of inappropriate or whiny way..? And it's not as if he'd be wrong this year anyway!

The wrong kind of look can be just as strong as words.....and he's given receivers some pretty clear looks over the years.

I agree, he has reason this season, but this isn't the first season he's been caught on camera giving his receivers a death-stare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

He's not the worst at that anyway. Have you seen RGIII?

He's not the worst at that anyway. Have you seen RGIII?

Oh I know......I guess it's just that I've watched Brady doing it for years......can't get away from the fact that whenever I see a QB doing it (when it isn't justified), I automatically think of Brady.

Blaming his WRs only happen really this year, i don't remember too many incidents over the years.

As for roughing the passer call every time, i remember only one incident and that was against the Ravens a few years ago and he was right to complain and deservedly got the flag.

If you don't like Brady for those two things, you must hate Peyton Manning:

On Sunday, berating the refs for a flag on a perfectly legal tackle by the Chargers:

madmanning_medium.gif

Screaming at his Oline, telling them how to block:

All pretty standard stuff from a QB on a Sunday.

Why people don't like BB I can understand but I think the only reason people hate TB12 is because of jealousy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Advertising Uggs, stupid jumpers, his hair.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Advertising Uggs, stupid jumpers, his hair.

Don't forget this....
    tom-brady-dance-1.gif?w=320&h=180

Don't forget this....

brady_super_bowl_trophy1.jpg

tom-brady-gisele-wire.jpg

Hi Haters

tom-brady-high-five-face.gif

• Advertisement

Don't forget this....
    tom-brady-dance-1.gif?w=320&h=180

I HATE it when tall people stand in front at parades......:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Hazys wrote: »
    Don't forget this....

brady_super_bowl_trophy1.jpg

tom-brady-gisele-wire.jpg

Hi Haters

tom-brady-high-five-face.gif

In work at the moment on my phone but check back later for "bradying" pic!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It's really his willingness to blame his receivers for everything

A very erroneous statement to make. But you're not a Pats fan and your finger is clearly not on the pulse. So it's understandably why those comments are way of the mark.

Fecking sick of Brady making excuses for the WR corp all season. They've the highest drop rate in the league. We've four WR's in the top 10 alone with the most drops. But it's a work in progress and a complete rebuild on offense. The man has shown the patience of a saint having to break in and teach an entirely new receiving corp.

This season Brady has consistently spoken about him needing to be better, needing to execute better and the entire offense needing to play better and do a better job. He has praised the Pats defense every week and said he and the offense needed to start taking their share of the load.

So maybe start watching some pre and post game press conferences and you'll see what I'm talking about.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

This season Brady has consistently spoken about him needing to be better, needing to execute better and the entire offense needing to play better and do a better job. He has praised the Pats defense every week and said he and the offense needed to start taking their share of the load.

Brady is a pro, in now way would he come out and slate his WRs unless he threw 100 times in a game and they didnt catch any (and even then he probably wouldnt)

Any QB slating his WRs is not going to benefit, Brady has the right idea.
    He's the big personality so let the media focus on him (he's well able for it) and he can say the sound bites like "i need to throw it better" i'm sure thats different to what goes on behind closed doors where probably Brady realises he doesnt have Welker/Hernandez and for a while Gronk and these guys are basically brand new.

Even on the Titans, Kenny britt was butter fingers and not once did Locker say anything bad, what he did say was that he as a QB needs to make it easier for Britt to catch the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Cheap hits. A WR/TE/RB etc gets the ball (from a pass), has barely time to adjust & see where he's at and........BAM, he's hit/pulverised from behind or the side.

Helmet to lower body (especially knee) hits, another un-manly side of the game.

Two very good examples recently of cheap hits, Gronk and this one, ie. the block that broke Kevin Hubers jaw !
    The Steelers guy should get jail time for a hit like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Two very good examples recently of cheap hits, Gronk and this one, ie. the block that broke Kevin Hubers jaw !

just been reading a few steelers fans forums where they are up in arms that he might get a fine over it, saying the punter was in traffic and he was hit on the numbers, that the broken jaw was an unfortunate consequence of a great block. the fact that he could have pushed the punter over to make the block instead of leading with his head into the opponents head seems lost on them. maybe its just I didnt grow up wearing a helmet launching into defensless players, but I really cant see how this can be defended.

I disagree about the gronk one being a cheap hit though, and have said as much in the Pats thread about it. both incidents are very, very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Sometimes I do think the game has gone too 'soft'. For example, the flag and fine for the hit on Brees earlier in the season was an absolute joke in my opinion.

Having said that, how anyone can defend that hit on the punter is beyond me. The guy should be looking at a serious suspension for that, it was totally uncalled for and could you imagine the uproar if a QB was hit like that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Backup QB's being bigged up as the next best thing based on a game or two. Kirk Cousins is this weeks version.

Yes, he played well. But people are ignoring the fact that he was a) playing against a rubbish defense and b) turned the ball over three times which would have resulted in an even heavier loss if they were playing against a team who hadn't packed it in weeks ago.

See; Keenum, McGloin, Pryor, Flynn etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Paully D wrote: »
    Backup QB's being bigged up as the next best thing based on a game or two. Kirk Cousins is this weeks version.

Yes, he played well. But people are ignoring the fact that he was a) playing against a rubbish defense and b) turned the ball over three times which would have resulted in an even heavier loss if they were playing against a team who hadn't packed it in weeks ago.

I have never seen anyone say Flynn is a good quarterback, what you will hear is he is a good quarterback for Greenbays system, which he is

Arawn wrote: »
    I have never seen anyone say Flynn is a good quarterback, what you will hear is he is a good quarterback for Greenbays system, which he is

at the time he was back up when he had that one amazing game he was the bees knees

bruschi wrote: »
    just been reading a few steelers fans forums where they are up in arms that he might get a fine over it, saying the punter was in traffic and he was hit on the numbers, that the broken jaw was an unfortunate consequence of a great block. the fact that he could have pushed the punter over to make the block instead of leading with his head into the opponents head seems lost on them. maybe its just I didnt grow up wearing a helmet launching into defensless players, but I really cant see how this can be defended.

I disagree about the gronk one being a cheap hit though, and have said as much in the Pats thread about it. both incidents are very, very different.

Problem is that many fans want the rules to be how they feel the game should be played. The rules they completely ignore are pretty clear.

First off, the punter is considered defenseless throughout the return (so being in traffic is irrelevant.)

Secondly, the rule clearly says that the rules on a hit to the head/neck of a defenseless player applies even if the initial contact was below that area.

I've just quoted the full rule in the Week 15 thread....so I won't occupy space posting it again.

Also.....it was reported lastnight that it's a broken jaw plus 2 cracked vertebrae

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

Why don t the referees put their number on the front of their uniforms like they used to.

What grunt decided it would be a good idea to have the number on the upper sleeve and the back, when in the TV reporting of 'flags' the viewer can't see the number.

Give me the logic for that change pleeeee-as.

Thaaaaaa ks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Paully D wrote: »

Cousins has always looked a level above all those players. He was a steal in the 4th round and if he ends up going to a stable franchise he could mature into being a fine starting quarterback.

I agree both are. Tolerating a player launching blind and low with a helmet hit and wiping out a guy's knee is beyond a joke. The same goes for that chicken shít hit on the punter. Imagine if the helmet had of taken out a QB's knee or broke his jaw? Christ the league would be up in arms, new rules would be rushed in with new protections for Golden boy QB's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Tristram wrote: »
    The amount of low quality media that is passed off as informative or analysis.

apart from Pam Oliver, you would need a (crack)mining crew to get me out:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

For the punter hit, the tackler has all the time in the world to wrap him up I mean it's a LB against a punter, it's the easiest tackle he'll get to make all game and he absolutely clobbers him. Disgraceful IMO

For the punter hit, the tackler has all the time in the world to wrap him up I mean it's a LB against a punter, it's the easiest tackle he'll get to make all game and he absolutely clobbers him. Disgraceful IMO

Oddly enough.....if he had done that, a penalty probably would have been called (or maybe not, the refs missed 1 hold and 1 block in the back on that play, on top of the hit to the punter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

apart from Pam Oliver, you would need a (crack)mining crew to get me out:D

(mouth) mining

If you want to know what grinds my gears.....it's the officiating, not the hit.

There were 2 marginal, and 1 definite penalties on that play........the hit on the punter happened while the 2 refs near the Bengals 20 yard line were looking at the ball carrier and the punter would have been in the line of sight of one of these refs (they are positioned one on each side of the hash marks).....there was also a block in the back (in the middle of everything so I can forgive the refs for missing it) and a hold on the gunner (which the sideline refs are specifically supposed to watch after the ball is kicked)

My big question is......are the officials blind.....or do they not know the rules?

Apologies for the quality of photos, I'm at work so its pics from a video taken by my phone

Block in back[IMG][/img]blockinback_zpsf1f59016.jpg

Holding part 1[IMG][/img]hold1_zpsbf72d10c.jpg

Holding part 2[IMG][/img]hold2_zpsdf42963d.jpg

And the one everyone except the refs saw
    [IMG][/img]defenseless_zps3fef69ab.jpg

The problem with NFL officiating crews is, most are semi retired businessmen the wrong side of 60. Time to get some crews with a younger age profile into the NFL, or at least officials that have functioning eye sight.

Time to get some crews with a younger age profile into the NFL, or at least officials that have functioning eye sight.

:D Found this in a stateside Football forum which sums up my point yesterday.....

6vXCtG.jpg

Something that I think is pointless teams play bells over the PA when the visiting team has third down. It's probably been happening for years but it's only recently that I've paid any attention to it. It's both college and pro teams that do it. Fair enough for the first team that did it but I know it's a copycat sport but get your own ideas to get the crowd going or whatever the purpose of it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Something that I think is pointless teams play bells over the PA when the visiting team has third down. It's probably been happening for years but it's only recently that I've paid any attention to it. It's both college and pro teams that do it. Fair enough for the first team that did it but I know it's a copycat sport but get your own ideas to get the crowd going or whatever the purpose of it is.

making noise on 3rd or any down is to make it hard for the opposing QB to make audible and to try and impact on the cadence and as a result cause false starts etc.

that's what the purpose is and that's why its done.

P.S Pretty sure its illegal for them to pipe noise in so any bells your hearing are not from a PA.

D3PO wrote: »
    making noise on 3rd or any down is to make it hard for the opposing QB to make audible and to try and impact on the cadence and as a result cause false starts etc.

that's what the purpose is and that's why its done.

P.S Pretty sure its illegal for them to pipe noise in so any bells your hearing are not from a PA.

I'm aware of that. This bell thing starts the instant the second down ends and stops well before the QB gets to the line of scrimmage. So it's hardly impacting the calls.

So i presume it is to get the crowd to make noise but I just think it's a lazy effort to do so.

• Advertisement

ive never heard this except the cow bells at Miss State games and a few others but not very many at all. Must listen out for it

D3PO wrote: »
    ive never heard this except the cow bells at Miss State games and a few others but not very many at all. Must listen out for it

Colts were doing it last night anyway and they weren't the first I've heard this season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Colts were doing it last night anyway and they weren't the first I've heard this season.

is it the bell sound from the start of Hells Bells by ACDC?

The Patriots often use the first piece of Welcome to the Jungle for third down

Gary Glitters rock and roll part 2 was also a very commonly used piece for getting the crowd going or after touchdowns

different teams use different music or noises to try get the crowd going. Its all just part of the atmosphere.

ah that might explain it Bruschi. Yeah loads of teams play music to get the crowd going, although why so many choose to play Darude Sandstorm before a kickoff is beyond me

i think the music on 3rd downs is to get the crowds attention so they will roar there heads off that is what can put off the qb there has been serious issues with false starts even in the nfl due to this

now i know people should know this anyway but you do get more casual people at a game and they learn pretty quickly when you hear the bell or chime or whatever it is you go mental shouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Don't the bucaneers play a booming cannon sound before big plays and after 1st downs. They definatly did last year anyway, there was a video of Cam Newton nearly sh1tting himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

know its off topic a bit but............
    cecil on sky sports on thanksgiving day thinking its hilarious decimating the turkey .....:mad:
    thank fcuk its only once a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

digzy wrote: »
    know its off topic a bit but............
    cecil on sky sports on thanksgiving day thinking its hilarious decimating the turkey .....:mad:
    thank fcuk its only once a year

Cecil in general, horrendous analysis. I used to not mind him, but having seen Shaun Gayle and Jeff in action, it's very hard to listen to Cecil in general!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Neil Reynolds doesn't really offer a whole lot either. He's the media face if NFL UK so he's not going to be pushed aside but his analysis is poor but I guess he's reaching out to the casual fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

glued wrote: »
    Neil Reynolds doesn't really offer a whole lot either. He's the media face if NFL UK so he's not going to be pushed aside but his analysis is poor but I guess he's reaching out to the casual fan.

He really is captain obvious. When Jeff is on you can really tell how little he values Neil's opinion. I guess he does explain things in ways comprehensible to a casual viewer but he's never really said anything that you could reasonably describe as an insight either.

He really is captain obvious. When Jeff is on you can really tell how little he values Neil's opinion. I guess he does explain things in ways comprehensible to a casual viewer but he's never really said anything that you could reasonably describe as an insight either.

in fairness to him I think hes playing a role there and hes not meant to be the analyst. I mean little things like him asking Jeff last night what the box is during analysis.

We all know he knows exactly what the box is but hes asking it so the casual fan who may not be able to follow the analysis can understand what is being said.

• Advertisement
Advertisement