Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening a new bank account

Options
  • 20-10-2013 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭

Me and my wife moved to Dublin last week.
    We would like to open a bank account in AIB.

Is it possible to open the bank account with PPS number? We don't have any utility bill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Is it possible to open the bank account with PPS number? We don't have any utility bill.

No, you will need proof of address, This can be a bill, bank statement, letter from revenue or one or two others that escape me now. You will also have to provide proof of pps, so this might be a communication form revenue, employer communication such as P60 etc or something from the HSE. Finally you will also have to provide them with photo ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

You must (I assume) have an existing bank account somewhere, the statemetns for that might do as a utility bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭GG21057

dnme wrote: »
    No, you will need proof of address, This can be a bill, bank statement, letter from revenue or one or two others that escape me now. You will also have to provide proof of pps, so this might be a communication form revenue, employer communication such as P60 etc or something from the HSE. Finally you will also have to provide them with photo ID.

I don't think the bank can ask for PPS when opening an account. Data protection dictates that the information can only be taken and retained for its original purpose. It is not intended as an identifier so therefore I would think the bank are precluded from using it?

Recent paid utility and dl / passport are required to prove addressable identity. If you recently moved you will still need to prove old address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

GG21057 wrote: »
    I don't think the bank can ask for PPS when opening an account. Data protection dictates that the information can only be taken and retained for its original purpose. It is not intended as an identifier so therefore I would think the bank are precluded from using it?

Recent paid utility and dl / passport are required to prove addressable identity. If you recently moved you will still need to prove old address.

They need your Pps to pass on tax info to revenue eg dirt. But banks also inform revenue if your bank account reaches a certain limit as it could indicate tax evasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

hfallada wrote: »
    They need your Pps to pass on tax info to revenue eg dirt. But banks also inform revenue if your bank account reaches a certain limit as it could indicate tax evasion.

Banks are obliged to ask for the PPS No. However there is no obligation on the consumer to supply these details.

• Advertisement

duffman13 wrote: »
    Banks are obliged to ask for the PPS No. However there is no obligation on the consumer to supply these details.

If you fail to supply these details, they have "no obligation" to open an account for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks everyone for the detailed information.

Utility bill from landlord and a paper from landlord stating we are residing at his place, will it be enough? Because we do not pay the bills ourself, its included in the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

If you fail to supply these details, they have "no obligation" to open an account for you.

I cant see any front of house staff at a bank refusing an application because of a pps no when they are not required by law to get it. They are required to ask and that is all. Its a compliance thing and should have no effect on opening an account if you refuse to supply it

Thanks everyone for the detailed information.

Utility bill from landlord and a paper from landlord stating we are residing at his place, will it be enough? Because we do not pay the bills ourself, its included in the rent.

No, read my first reply to you in post #2.

duffman13 wrote: »
    I cant see any front of house staff at a bank refusing an application because of a pps no when they are not required by law to get it. They are required to ask and that is all. Its a compliance thing and should have no effect on opening an account if you refuse to supply it

They Front Of House staff have a check list of things to ask for, PPS no is on the list, if you want them to do anything "non-standard", they won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭masterboy123

thanks dnme
    but we don't have any bill in Ireland on our names/address.
    We have all other documents with us except proof of address in Dublin. Does it mean we cant open a bank account? :(

I heard its easier to open a new account in permanent TSB for EU nationals, is it true?

And we have bank statements from Hungary but it says our Hungarian address in Budapest. Will it help?
    No, read my first reply to you in post #2.

thanks dnme
    but we don't have any bill in Ireland on our names/address.
    We have all other documents with us except proof of address in Dublin. Does it mean we cant open a bank account? :(

I heard its easier to open a new account in permanent TSB for EU nationals, is it true?

And we have bank statements from Hungary but it says our Hungarian address in Budapest. Will it help?

You cannot one a bank account until you have all the items I specify in post #2. You need get some official document sent to you at your new address. Permanent TSB operate under the same laws and have the same requirements as all other banks. Proof of address is an absolute fundamental nowadays. It's the most basic requirement I can think of.

At this stage, you seem to be questioning everyone's advice here, so your next step is to go into a bank and have a chat with them.

You cannot one a bank account until you have all the items I specify in post #2. You need get some official document sent to you at your new address. Permanent TSB operate under the same laws and have the same requirements as all other banks. Proof of address is an absolute fundamental nowadays. It's the most basic requirement I can think of.

At this stage, you seem to be questioning everyone's advice here, so your next step is to go into a bank and have a chat with them.

Bank can be "flexible" with the proof of address, if the OP opens an account in the same branch as his employer, they might accept a letter of introduction from them. Some of the "international schools" do this for students, but usually limited to certain branches.

Some Banks also might accept a tenancy agreement, if the Landlord is known to them.

AIB have the following comment on their web site in relation to proof of address "Please talk to one of our staff at your local AIB branch if you do not possess the documentation outlined above"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

The staff in the branch will have a list of other documents that are acceptable. Any correspondence from a government body should do though.

Advertisement