Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cottage border, ideas for year round colour?

• 20-10-2013 7:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭

Planting advice/ideas please.

I've just prepped a bed about 1 m wide that run between a stone wall and a driveway. It's 20m long, west facing, fairly sheltered. Planning a cottagey looking border. Blue/pink/purples.

So, planting time is here. There are a few bits already existing... 3 or 4 Roses, couple of paeonies and some evergreen shrubs.

List so far is this, repeated a few times down the length, but I think I'm missing some colour, as tulips can be a bit fleeting?
    Structural/texture:
    Alchemilla mollis
    Stipa gigantica
    Fennel

Colour:
    Pink tulips
    Allium
    Campanula (the low one)

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I like alchemilla mollis, but you have to be prepared to be ruthless about pulling up seedlings or it will take over.

Tulips are not really a long term proposition, they tend to disappear rather than multiply

For colour:

Winter pink/purple - winter heathers; Kaffir lily, Viscountess Byng (pink), small cyclamen - all shades of red, pink, purple, white

Summer - perennial geraniums, pink arabis (very easy and not rampant), aquilegia (again ruthlessly weed out seedlings), foxgloves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

There is such an abundance of choice, but beware of invasive species, here are some of my favourites (not complete list) which are reliable performers, troublefree and easy to grow Herbaceous Perennials:

Leucanthemum Broadway Lights
    Echinacea Magnus
    Echinacea Whit Swan
    Rudbeckia Goldsturm
    Scabiosa Pink Delights
    Scabiosa Butterfly Blue
    Gerbera
    Heuchera Palace Purple
    Rosemary Prostratus
    Armeria White/Pink
    Dianthus
    Helenium Moerheim Beauty
    Fuchsia Lady/Tom Thumb
    Liriope
    Agapanthus Snow Storm
    Sedum Spectablis
    Carex Evergold
    Acorus Ogon
    Ophiopogon Nigresens
    Bugle
    Salvia Lipstick
    Salvia Mainacht
    Veronica
    Astilbe Deutschland
    Dahlia Moonfire
    Dahlia Bishop of Llandaff
    Coreopsis Zagreb
    Dicentra Bleeding Heart
    Euphorbia Robbiae
    Galliardia
    Hemerocallis Stella D'Oro
    Verbena Bonariensis Lollipop
    Ajuga Black Scallop
    Trollius
    Helleborus

Mix suitable shrubs to create a year round structure and good display

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Fantastic lists guys. thanks a mill.

Yeah, alchemilla mollis is a mad fellow alright, I have it all over the back garden, so it's a nice cheap division for me.

Love the perennial Geraniums and Echinacea's too. Big list for me there. Might be hard to pick up the perennials this time of year, but I'll give it a shot. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

Some things to consider
    -Try to achieve contrasts between plants
    -balance
    -use plants in groups of 3-5
    -how much time you have to maintain it
    -choose the correct plants , not just ones you like(see above about free seeding plants)
    -use tall plants beside short ones for good effect
    -spread seasonal interest evenly through the border
    lookin forward to a pic next august:D:D

Advertisement