Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for those of us who Believe in keeping their dogs intact.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Spaying and neutering aren't automatically a solution, all of my dogs are done, but one of them still had false seasons, which led to one of my neutered males tieing with her and splitting his penis open, cue emergency dash to the vet, after a very interesting phone call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I always manage by just keeping them apart, stud dogs here too. Also a neutered male who will also have a go if he gets the chance. Have to be very careful with the males so that they do not fight with each other when a bitch is in heat.

The male will sometimes go off his food too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I am very much for keeping dogs intact if you can manage them completely, but if there is any hint of a possibility that you wont be able to control your dog then the best option would be to neuter. I mean there are hundreds of people who show dogs and they would not end up with surprise litters despite having intact dogs. But just to throw a small tangent into this I think that cats should 100% be neutered as young as possible. And I say this as someone who goes to cat shows and sees intact cats. Luckily in the cat show world neuters have their own classes and can do just as well as their intact comrades. I could never keep an intact cat again, but would definitely wait before altering a dog, if I were to do it at all!

Advertisement