Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you choose to study if you were to return to college?

Options
  • 20-10-2013 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

A lot of negativity surrounds courses like Arts and Philosophy because apart from Arts related teaching they are just courses with hundreds of places and no job prospects without years of further study.

I'd like to know if anyone here could go back to college now as a mature student, what course would they choose and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

History, or maybe id go do a trade instead. Why? because in a shocking and unexpected twist, media studies hasnt done fu©k all for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

History, or maybe id go do a trade instead. Why? because in a shocking and unexpected twist, media studies hasnt done fu©k all for me

I'm seriously considering returning to college next Sept. I have never been before so I will be entitled to free fees etc but I don't want to make a mistake when choosing a course.

Just wondering what courses are considered to be the best job-related courses. Somebody said to me recently, if they were to go back to college that they would choose something in biotechnology or pharmaceuticals as these are the science/lab based research areas that will continue to grow and expand and develop and where the jobs will be.

Basically just wondering if that is the general opinion? I know technology is a hugely expected area for growth but I'm just not techy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

I'm 27 and in my final year of English and Media Studies... :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 38 buzzb123

Personally I would choose something I have a big interest / passion in.

Of course many people are choosing courses based on job prospectives however I think a career would be more satisfying if you actually liked it as opposed to picking a course based ultimately on job prospects / pay.

Of course some people money is the main motivating factors but in my experience job satisfaction can supersede financial gain.

Do some thing you have an interest in ( within reason of course )

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bobbo23

Have you considered an access course. It's great preparation for the real deal, (academic writing, I.T. and such) as well taking (in the case of D.I.T.) four modules from on-going degree courses. These are a great opportunity to find out what you like and sometimes more importantly what you don't like. Personally I couldn't handle three/four years of studying something that I wasn't too interested in.
    I attended D.I.T. and couldn't recommend it highly enough. It's a fantastic way to get back into the swing of it all with the added bonus of a few ready made collage buddies when you progress onto first year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement