Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survival and sad themed ...

Options
  • 20-10-2013 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Are there any more books like "The Fifth Wave" and "America Pacifica" which have dark survival themes in a destroyed or almost destroyed world? Really interested in this genre so would like to read more books in around this area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭cml387

Resurrection Day.

And if you are doing history in the LC, an interesting view on American history.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭TwoGallants

There are lots. Probably the most interesting written in the last ten years or so is Cormac Mc Carthy´s ´The Road´. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

There are lots. Probably the most interesting written in the last ten years or so is Cormac Mc Carthy´s ´The Road´. Good luck.

I second this recommendation, but proceed with caution. It's hard to shake off the gloominess afterwards. Very hard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I saw the film actually :D. Might read the book if the story is any different(?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

On the Beach by Neville Shute is supposed to be very good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

... dark survival themes in a destroyed or almost destroyed world...

Alex Ferguson's upcoming autobiography

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Search this forum for "Dystopian" you'll find threads like this. Should cover what you're after...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

'The Postman' by David Brin, the book and not the film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 132 ✭✭Banneret

great books guys, good shares.

any more please?

Thank You.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Banneret wrote: »
    great books guys, good shares.

any more please?

Thank You.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I wouldn't have minded living in the World State. Didn't sound so bad to me......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭HeadPig

The Stand by Stephen King. Decent book, a lot better than that rubbish "The Road"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Robert Swindells' "Brother in the Land" is a really good (and quite depressing) book about a nuclear attack on England and the aftermath

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭TwoGallants

HeadPig wrote: »
    The Stand by Stephen King. Decent book, a lot better than that rubbish "The Road"

Ooooh, you're a hard man...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

If you want entertainment and zombies/vampires, try I am Legend by Richard Matheson, and the Passage (first of a trilogy) by Justin Cronin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Lucifer's Hammer - Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle

Alas, Babylon - Pat Frank

Beware, there's sadly also a lot of dross printed in this category .

Advertisement