Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amount of alcohol in Christmas cake

Options
  • 20-10-2013 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

I made Delia Smith's cake last year which calls for three tablespoons of brandy. I didn't think that the fruit plumped up a whole pile and comparing Delia's recipe to others, it seems a bit light on the alcohol. I know you're supposed to feed the cake afterwards but would I mess up the cake if I added more booze to the fruit - say if I doubled the amount? I might use whiskey instead of brandy.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made tht cake last year and soaked the fruit in tonnes of alcohol. You can drain off any that didn't get absorbed in advance anyway and that shouldn't interfere with ratios. I was also a lot more generous with feeding than she suggests, because my mum likes a boozy cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Put in extra and let it soak longer. I never feed the cake afterwards, dislike the taste of raw alcohol off it and just don't see the point.

Advertisement