Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rats getting in/out through drain.

• 20-10-2013 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

I have been having a problem with the same drain becoming blocked and causing the toilets in the house to back up. I had a darainage company in 3 times over about a year and a half to unblock the drain. Then I bought a set of rods and have since then had to unblock the drain several times. I was beginning to think the drain had subsided at some point. Now I think it may be due to rats entering the system. I have found some quite large stones in the drain. I pulled away the turf just behind the drain and found a large hole under it. I have just now mixed up some concrete and shovelled it into the gap behind the drain. I think I have blocked thge hole up but I reckon the rats will still come up on the inside of thye drain via the sewers. Any ideas how what type of rat poison to use and where it can be placed? I don't want rats getting poisoned and dying in the pipes underground s would cause a blockage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

See how you get on now that you have repaired the drain first.

Rats don't normaly cause blockage as they will flush away.
    Subsidence, cracks,stones and gravel block drains.
    We all have drains and don't have a problem with rats.
    Drain Co. should have used cctv to see what the problem was.

TNT might help. Ask for it in Woodies or B&Q.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I really wouldn't put any poison in or near the outdoor drains. It will not work because it will just wash away. It will poison the water system. You will most likely be breaking the law.

As suggested, a cctv survey (where a tv camera is put down the drain to get a clear picture of the problem) is the next step.

It's not the rats themselves that block the drains. As I understand it, and I am no expert, is that it's the stones and things they release into the drain with their burrowing activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Kungfu

It's not the rats themselves that block the drains. As I understand it, and I am no expert, is that it's the stones and things they release into the drain with their burrowing activity.

Exactly what I have been thinking. Quite a few stones in the drain that didn't get washed down into it.

Don't plan on putting poison into the drains as it would get wet. I can put it into some pieces of piping to keep birds etc away from it and leave it near /around the drain that seems to be the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dotsy115

Sounds like a CCTV inspection is needed alright. Pretty cheap to get done nowadays. Relation in Malahide had a problem with recurring blocking drains and had the camera in and job finished in a couple of hours last month. 4 houses on the mains and she was the unfortunate one connecting to the road. She used a company called EDS Ireland if it helps.

Advertisement