Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jamie Oliver Beef Rendang Recipe

Options
  • 20-10-2013 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi folks, I'm looking for a recipe for Beef Rendang that Jamie Oliver had either on the website or on the actual program for his "Money Saving Meals" show. I think I'm going mad cos the Channel 4 website for the show keeps telling me I've found it and then when I click the link it takes me to other beef recipes on his website.
    The recipe was to use up leftovers from a slow roasted beef brisket (which I bought a giant lump of purely cos I wanted to try this, so I'm getting a bit cranky that I can't find the recipe I actually wanted it for.)
    If anyone has it (or has read it and can remember the gist of it) I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Looks like it was taken down off his website, you can still see the cached version though linky

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

Thanks a million - just found a similar version on someone's blog too that should give me an idea of how to throw it together. Cheers! (Nom nom... rendang)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Can you let me know how this works out for you. I have tried several times to make this dish as its my fave but it never tastes right. More often then not it tastes a little bitter prob from aniseed or whatever!!

Pics would be awesome too if you can,

cheers

frAg

edit: having just read the reviews on the link above I am not surprised that it was removed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This recipe, as posted by Minder works very, very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

frag420 wrote: »
    I have tried several times to make this dish as its my fave but it never tastes right. More often then not it tastes a little bitter prob from aniseed or whatever!!

Bitterness is usually a result from too much galangal, too much lemongrass, sometimes from not sauteeing the aromatics long enough to allow the sweetness to develop. That's from my experience anyway.
    having just read the reviews on the link above I am not surprised that it was removed at all.

I'm not bothered with dishes being inauthentic but Jamie omitted both lemongrass and galangal, which are the key ingredients in rendang. That recipe sounds more like a gulai curry.

And +1 for Minder's rendang recipe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

Yeah, I wish I'd read the reviews before trying it. Very disappointing - overwhelming amounts of the onion paste and coconut milk and not a whole pile else going on. The meat did reheat quite well in it, so I'd try using leftovers again as a cheat way to a quick curry, but definitely with a different recipe.

Can you let me know how this works out for you. I have tried several times to make this dish as its my fave but it never tastes right. More often then not it tastes a little bitter prob from aniseed or whatever!!

Pics would be awesome too if you can,

cheers

frAg

edit: having just read the reviews on the link above I am not surprised that it was removed at all.

Advertisement