Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drumcondra, Dublin

Options
  • 20-10-2013 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Are there any areas in drumcondra that should be avoided when buying a house? Also what is the best area in drumcondra to live? Overall would anyone recommend buying a house there??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Drumcondra is a pretty nice area to live. It's improved in terms of shops recently( they used to be quite rundown with little selection) and there is a great park. Primary schools are good ( scoil Mobhi in Glasnevin is supposed to be excellent). But for secondary school a lot of children go to private schools in the city centre.

I wouldn't be mad about buying anything Richmond road onwards. But I think house on hollybank road are excellent value. A lot of landlords are selling up because pre 63s no longer being allowed without a proper toilet and cooking facilities. The only issue with drumcondra is match days( but they are only 1 day a week) and parking is a mess. But overall it's a great area and so close to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Don't forget flooding issue s also in someparts traffic is usually heavy most times I think there

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

hfallada wrote: »
    Drumcondra is a pretty nice area to live. It's improved in terms of shops recently( they used to be quite rundown with little selection) and there is a great park. Primary schools are good ( scoil Mobhi in Glasnevin is supposed to be excellent). But for secondary school a lot of children go to private schools in the city centre.

I wouldn't be mad about buying anything Richmond road onwards. But I think house on hollybank road are excellent value. A lot of landlords are selling up because pre 63s no longer being allowed without a proper toilet and cooking facilities. The only issue with drumcondra is match days( but they are only 1 day a week) and parking is a mess. But overall it's a great area and so close to town.
    1 day a week, about 10 weeks over the summer. Thats it really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

As others have said, check for flood risk around the Tolka. They did flood years ago and defences were put in but you'd want to check the detail for insurance.

Croke park is a factor, but you know what you're getting. Its up to you to then decide if you can live with it. Personally I think its manageable once you plan your journeys on match/concert days.

Obviously the closer you get to Ballybough or Dorset St, theres the potential for it to feel a bit "real" but its a very sought after area overall.

Upper Drumcondra is quieter and less impacted by all of the above.

Re schools, there are some very good ones, actually there are probably far more schools in the area than young people to attend them so as a result they attract students from surrounding areas.

While I do know some from the area who have gone to private secondary schools, thats not due to lack of options, thats just choosing private over public which is typical of fairly well off areas. For boys particularly Belvedere was always a popular choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

6 years it took Yee to reply..... 6 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

SozBbz wrote: »

Obviously the closer you get to Ballybough or Dorset St, theres the potential for it to feel a bit "real" but its a very sought after area overall.

Is it too real for yeh?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Please don't wake the zombies.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement